• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Facts about Feedback"

Collapse

• patrickbaitsman
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I have had a reasnobly good run of successful interviews in the last few years but had one via Skype last year which the agent never got back to me on.

From now on I just do the interview, feedback to agent and forget about it but an agent not firing off a one line e-mail when someone has taken the time and effort to travel to an interview lacks class and shows quite how low some agents have sunk.
    It's industry standard, once you're not a viable commodity they dgaf about you.

It used to piss me off, I used to chase asking whats going etc - but it's pointless. They WILL come to you if there is something, otherwise sit back and relax. Also chasing to see what is going on comes across as desperate.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I have had a reasnobly good run of successful interviews in the last few years but had one via Skype last year which the agent never got back to me on.

From now on I just do the interview, feedback to agent and forget about it but an agent not firing off a one line e-mail when someone has taken the time and effort to travel to an interview lacks class and shows quite how low some agents have sunk.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
    7/10 Wow, as much as that, thanks (Did you do the booze cruise, or just brew your own from Wilkis?)

IMO, there's two types of contractor. The first is the "jobbing" bums on seats, who tend to have to wait for a reply, and those who aren't. If you have to wait, then there's either too many candidates, or an indecisive client. Personally, I've managed to get to a point where the interview is to get to know me, rather than a test of what I know, as this is already listed on the CV.

Depends how long you've been contracting, and what you're aiming for, but good luck for the future.
    Have recipe, will do a full mash brew when the weather is better.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    7/10
    7/10 Wow, as much as that, thanks (Did you do the booze cruise, or just brew your own from Wilkis?)

IMO, there's two types of contractor. The first is the "jobbing" bums on seats, who tend to have to wait for a reply, and those who aren't. If you have to wait, then there's either too many candidates, or an indecisive client. Personally, I've managed to get to a point where the interview is to get to know me, rather than a test of what I know, as this is already listed on the CV.

Depends how long you've been contracting, and what you're aiming for, but good luck for the future.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
    Last interview booked was for 30 minutes, 10 minutes in the interviewer says "I can tell you're not blagging it, like some of the others we've had. Thanks, we'll be in touch". Later that day offer plus 5%, taking it to another new highest rate, with a 2 year project timescale. It's about quality, not quantity for me. Anything other than this, then I'm not too bothered.

But, it depends if your desperate for the work, or have multiple interviews/offers to juggle, then it's a different story.
    7/10

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Last interview booked was for 30 minutes, 10 minutes in the interviewer says "I can tell you're not blagging it, like some of the others we've had. Thanks, we'll be in touch". Later that day offer plus 5%, taking it to another new highest rate, with a 2 year project timescale. It's about quality, not quantity for me. Anything other than this, then I'm not too bothered.

But, it depends if your desperate for the work, or have multiple interviews/offers to juggle, then it's a different story.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I normally just fart & then rollover and fall asleep afterwards.

What are we taking about again?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    After an interview the only feedback I am interested in is "When can you start".
    Everything else is pointless
    The only feedback I'm interested in is "A payment has been made to YourCo's account"

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    OP, have you had any interviews? Or is it initial feedback on your CV that you are chasing for?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    About 90% of face to faces over 15 year of contracting I have got an offer from, the 1 in 10s I know when I leave and don't expect a call.

I don't tend to chase anyone up. I just go in, do my pitch, answer the technical questions they found when the googled "what to ask a IT contractor in an interview" then shake hands and walk.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I think OP you need to understand the contracting game has changed in recent years. Now agents are also suffering from being Bobbed, margins are down and the market did dip at the start of the year.

In a tight market it's always survival of the fittest. Is Shane or Dwight the agent going to waste their time on making you feel better, or are they going to hit the phones for the next tranche of candidates before a competitor does?

To that end you have to study the market, actually dig into the ads, try and work out what is real and what is bogus. Normally gigs that repeat by other agencies there was only one real gig and the others put out copy cat gigs.

Try and apply for the gigs that smell right, call the agent up straight after submitting. Get a relationship built with the agent. Make them remember your name.

But above all, follow their lead. Don't sit around waiting for feedback that will never come. You should still be I interviewing until the contract is signed and you have a start date.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    After an interview the only feedback I am interested in is "When can you start".
    Pretty much that.

No mystery that agents won't go to any effort to communicate if it's a no.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    ^ This

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    WPS.

Who cares about the rest?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X