• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London cyclists in 23,000 accidents over five years"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If I'm hard left then I'm happy its safe for you to overtake if I'm in the middle of the road I'm not happy its safe so hang back.
    This. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand. I don't cycle in the middle of the lane just to piss off other people; if I'm taking a strong central position its for a good reason - normally some combination of poor road surface, potholes/debris in the gutter, parked cars/door zone (cycle lanes painted next to car parking bays are the worst), narrow and don't want people to squeeze past when there's no room for a safe overtake.

The fact I have to take a strong line around blind corners just in case somebody feels like overtaking me round one says it all. I shouldn't have to, but on the odd occasion I haven't, somebody has tried it.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Dumb walkers

Teenage cyclists

Student cyclists

Cycling/tri clubs

MAMILs especially the one I saw fall into railings when a van turned left on him

Cyclists I do like are workmen and "normal" commuters especially those that travel in the early morning. Workmen always wear high viz AND have working lights.
    Plus any flavour of mobile phone using commuter that thinks they can 'walk and chew gum' when clearly, it is beyond their wit or illegal to do so.

I was driving on the M4 the other day, overtaking in the outside lane when I noticed the dumb biatch on my left actually putting her makeup on in the middle lane. I so wanted to give her a nudge in the side of her car

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Why is it odd that you would agree with me

I find it strange that 42 tonne articulated trucks have a sign on the back that says "Cyclists do not pass on the left, this vehicle may turn left!" FFS!

Then to cap it all, they do exactly what the sign tells them not to and cry when they get whacked.

FTAOD Don't get me wrong I am not anti cyclist, I am anti-FWIT. Anyone who cannot follow the rules should not be let out alone, even (esp) pedestrians. Perhaps they should all have reins on like Suity.
    Dumb walkers

Teenage cyclists

Student cyclists

Cycling/tri clubs

MAMILs especially the one I saw fall into railings when a van turned left on him

Cyclists I do like are workmen and "normal" commuters especially those that travel in the early morning. Workmen always wear high viz AND have working lights.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    To be fair, in 40 years of driving, I have never once seen a cyclist courteously wave another road user on.
    I have been known to wave overtakers past when safe (they are usually up my butt and can't see round it) but usually my road position is enough for the ones who can tie their own shoelaces. If I'm hard left then I'm happy its safe for you to overtake if I'm in the middle of the road I'm not happy its safe so hang back.

But as legally I could be liable for their muppetry by waving them on I try to avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have a sign on the back of my bike "motorists please do not pass on the right".
    So they mount the pavement and push you over to the middle of the road? Sensible

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have a sign on the back of my bike "motorists please do not pass on the right".

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Oddly I agree with that. Cyclists are the worst road users - apart from women driving with children.

I reckon almost every cycle death could be avoided if cyclists did not try to cut up lorries.

Very frustrating when I cycle mostly correctly - I use some pavements round very busy junctions where it is safer to do so - giving pedestrians right of way.

PS I just added you as a friend so I can friend you....
    Why is it odd that you would agree with me

I find it strange that 42 tonne articulated trucks have a sign on the back that says "Cyclists do not pass on the left, this vehicle may turn left!" FFS!

Then to cap it all, they do exactly what the sign tells them not to and cry when they get whacked.

FTAOD Don't get me wrong I am not anti cyclist, I am anti-FWIT. Anyone who cannot follow the rules should not be let out alone, even (esp) pedestrians. Perhaps they should all have reins on like Suity.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Clearly, your fix is incorrect. In 40 years of driving, I have never hit a cyclist either (I have seen plenty that I would like to have punched though ). I see plenty thanks. I also see plenty bombing around from lane to lane in slow moving traffic, risking their neck then crying when they fall off. Not all cyclists do this, there are some sensible ones but the ones I do see doing this I have no sympathy for.

If you want to see why some people detest cyclists, go to any town where they have one of their disruptive rallies and cycle 10 abreast for two hours up and down a dual carriageway from roundabout to roundabout just to inconvenience other road users, usually when everyone is just trying to get home from work.

HTH BIW

Please please dont unfriend me, I only hate most cyclists, the good ones are (mostly) OK.
    Oddly I agree with that. Cyclists are the worst road users - apart from women driving with children.

I reckon almost every cycle death could be avoided if cyclists did not try to cut up lorries.

Very frustrating when I cycle mostly correctly - I use some pavements round very busy junctions where it is safer to do so - giving pedestrians right of way.

PS I just added you as a friend so I can friend you....

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

FTFY

Try being more observant. Or try cycling.

HTH BISDI.
    Clearly, your fix is incorrect. In 40 years of driving, I have never hit a cyclist either (I have seen plenty that I would like to have punched though ). I see plenty thanks. I also see plenty bombing around from lane to lane in slow moving traffic, risking their neck then crying when they fall off. Not all cyclists do this, there are some sensible ones but the ones I do see doing this I have no sympathy for.

If you want to see why some people detest cyclists, go to any town where they have one of their disruptive rallies and cycle 10 abreast for two hours up and down a dual carriageway from roundabout to roundabout just to inconvenience other road users, usually when everyone is just trying to get home from work.

HTH BIW

Please please dont unfriend me, I only hate most cyclists, the good ones are (mostly) OK.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    To be fair, in 40 years of driving, I have never once seen a cyclist.
    FTFY

Try being more observant. Or try cycling.

HTH BISDI.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Took my son to physio last night. He was amazed at my cycle clothes. "Dad - you could be seen from space".

It did not stop a young audi driver nearly killing me this morning - I actually stopped to have a word. He did not see me at a roundabout so well lit its like daylight. I suppose his cup of coffee was more important.

And thanks to that woman who made me break sharply last night rather than miss her gap in the traffic. I suppose she had a small child in the back of her big car so is allowed to run over cyclists and pedestrians...
    To be fair, in 40 years of driving, I have never once seen a cyclist courteously wave another road user on.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Took my son to physio last night. He was amazed at my cycle clothes. "Dad - you could be seen from space".

It did not stop a young audi driver nearly killing me this morning - I actually stopped to have a word. He did not see me at a roundabout so well lit its like daylight. I suppose his cup of coffee was more important.

And thanks to that woman who made me break sharply last night rather than miss her gap in the traffic. I suppose she had a small child in the back of her big car so is allowed to run over cyclists and pedestrians...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The idea of self insurance is superb. I get fed up of leming pedestrians leaping out in front of me while cycling.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    errr - are leggings okay?

It always feels like I am wearing tights - but my legs stay toasty.....
    Anything as long as you don't display your helmet

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Cycling in London is an absolute horror show.

During previous tube strikes I have cycled from where I live in Ealing to my office in Holborn. I'm always amazed that I made it there alive having conquered the White City roundabout and then Marble Arch. After a few very close calls, I have now lost nearly all love for cycling.

The biggest problem as I see it is lorrys turning left without looking as well as over enthusiastic taxi drivers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X