• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "6 months contract and renting a flat"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    That rather depends what the contract says of course. However IIRC you are not advised, as the landlord, to give your lodger a key to lock their room because then they get back a lot of those rights and cannot be booted out - I think?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Its a legal requirement that all tennancy agreements are for 6 months...
    No it isn't. Most are, and there are good reasons for it being like that, but you can have tenancies of any length or for a rolling period.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    As a landlord, a tenant renting for the 6 months planning on bailing in the short, I'd be livid. Use a nice BnB.
    A lodger isn't a tenant.

A lodger shares the property with the owner and uses the same facilities. They can have a room but the room may not be for their own exclusive use. They have very few legal rights and can have no notice period so can easily be kicked out.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    WHS

If you want to guarantee that you can stay shorter be a lodger, and find someone who works while you are in and vice versa.
    As a landlord, a tenant renting for the 6 months planning on bailing in the short, I'd be livid. Use a nice BnB.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Its a legal requirement that all tennancy agreements are for 6 months. Its to protect landlords and tennants.

You either suck it up and pay the full six months or you dont sign the agreement. You can look for a house or room share on various sites. be aware some of these will also have a signed minimum 6 month agreement. Others are more informal.

Dont sign a tennancy agreement if you're not prepared to pay up if you have to move out earlier.
    WHS

If you want to guarantee that you can stay shorter be a lodger, and find someone who works while you are in and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    £50-100/day saved is pretty significant. If your goal is to save up and retire, it might get you free sooner
    Not if you die of hypothermia.....

Leave a comment:

• PV01
    replied
    Shared house

Rent a room in a shared house. You can usually do that for cash to the person who is on the lease. I've done it before and managed to stay off the lease. You might have to put a months deposit down.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    What rates are you guys on if you are living in a tent ?

Sounds a blast to save a few quid
    £50-100/day saved is pretty significant. If your goal is to save up and retire, it might get you free sooner

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    What rates are you guys on if you are living in a tent ?

Sounds a blast to save a few quid

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltd View Post
    I am on a 6 month contract in Wales away from home, have done few weeks already staying in a hotel. I want to rent a flat as it seems to be slightly cheaper and provides kitchen but landlords keep mumbling about minimum 6 months contract.
    I have only 5 full months left on my contract and also what if a client will cancel it before ending (which is quite unlikely but technically possible). How do contractors deal with this landlords attempts to lock them for 6 months?
    Its a legal requirement that all tennancy agreements are for 6 months. Its to protect landlords and tennants.

You either suck it up and pay the full six months or you dont sign the agreement. You can look for a house or room share on various sites. be aware some of these will also have a signed minimum 6 month agreement. Others are more informal.

Dont sign a tennancy agreement if you're not prepared to pay up if you have to move out earlier.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Was up for 12 hour night shift with one client few summers ago.

Caravan club site dead opposite. Was tempted to tow my van up there for daytime kip.
    In the end, could be arsed and rented a flat instead (£50 or so a night).

And cos I hated towing the thing....

Leave a comment:

• Gaz_M
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    As soon as it gets warmer from May or so you can go camping, just rent a space for a few months, put a big tent up, saves a lot of money
    Guy I contracted with last summer did that.

Paid £10 a night to pitch & use showers, got wifi from his phone & watched movies on his iPad. Bottle of red every night thrown in for good measure.

I'm seriously tempted this summer for four months.

Leave a comment:

• colinrobinson
    replied
    SACO serviced Appartments

I am on a 6 month contract in Wales away from home, have done few weeks already staying in a hotel. I want to rent a flat as it seems to be slightly cheaper and provides kitchen but landlords keep mumbling about minimum 6 months contract.
    I have only 5 full months left on my contract and also what if a client will cancel it before ending (which is quite unlikely but technically possible). How do contractors deal with this landlords attempts to lock them for 6 months?
    I use these guys, you only pay mon -thur if you move your stuff out or 7 days if you want to leave stuff in appt.

SACO - The Worldwide Serviced Apartment Network

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Simple answer? Take a chance or don't bother.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    A friend of mine sleeps in his car.

That's taking things a bit too far IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X