• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Train - FREEZING

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Train - FREEZING"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Graham View Post
    I tend to take the attitude of if its hot enough I'm standing there sweating and so are other people, then its ok to open the window.
    If that makes you feel cold because your sitting next to it, your welcome to come stand over here squashed in with these other people and I'll sit in the 'cold seat'
    Aye remember being on train once and it must have been 90F inside.

Some old biddy moaned that the windows were open and there was draft making her neck stiff....

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What IS the etiquette for opening windows on buses and trains? And blinds/curtains for that matter.
    Open them if you are warm, shut them when you are cold.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I'm sure it's possible to pretend, whether it's believable is another thing.
    More believable when you're a teenager, don't think it would work now though sadly

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    What IS the etiquette for opening windows on buses and trains? And blinds/curtains for that matter.
    I tend to take the attitude of if its hot enough I'm standing there sweating and so are other people, then its ok to open the window.
    If that makes you feel cold because your sitting next to it, your welcome to come stand over here squashed in with these other people and I'll sit in the 'cold seat'

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's how they heat trains in the morning in London and the SE.

The trouble is if you are at the first few stations on the route between 5-6am you freeze as the trains aren't packed.
    Nah, I've had burns on my legs from the stupid heaters which they never seem to turn off on Southeastern Trains (and your legs end up very close to because of the tiny seats, if your lucky enough to get a seat). Nearly always is so hot and stuffy on the trains its just ridiculous and then everyone gets upset if you open a window (or refuses to open a window themselves).

I do often wonder why they need heaters though, considering how many people are jammed into the trains and how little control they have over their farts too.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I thought trains were packed so tightly that everyone keeps warm through the forced huddling?

Though I used to get these old Bus Train jobbies..they were freezing in winter and sweltering in summer and rubbish on any other days. My sympathies.
    Like the now finally being phased out Thameslink trains that I had the misfortune of getting. Slow, unreliable, noisy and always seemed to have a strong smell of pee to them too ... grim

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I thought trains were packed so tightly that everyone keeps warm through the forced huddling.
    That's how they heat trains in the morning in London and the SE.

The trouble is if you are at the first few stations on the route between 5-6am you freeze as the trains aren't packed.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Does my chunk in!

Took a thermometer today - 7C on the train. Nuts.
    Moaned to the guard - his answer - its always like this it takes hours to warm up when its cost outside.

Now, I've been to Helsinki in the winter when its well cold and they seem to manage on their trains.

To be honest, there have been days when its been ok just not many. I've got a feeling the train company know thats its cold and even have a load of carriages where they're well aware that the heating doesnt work at all but know that no-one will kick off.

I've moaned to the train company before and get some crap answer.

I'm tempted to demand a refund citing the sale of goods. Surely the contract of services involves them transporting you from A to B providing an adequate degree of comfort? They've not done this IMHO.

Might give it a go.
    I thought trains were packed so tightly that everyone keeps warm through the forced huddling?

Though I used to get these old Bus Train jobbies..they were freezing in winter and sweltering in summer and rubbish on any other days. My sympathies.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Punctuation fellas.

text blah blah - next bit. (Note the space).

If I put the - right up to the number then it means minus !!!!
    Just to confirm - you are telling us about punctuation?

Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    back to the OP's point thought I do actually expect public transport to be at least some sort of 16+ degrees minimum - not sure why just one of those expectations

I am actually going to use public transport this Friday - but I am sure the arriva trains are pretty toasted iirc
    HSE would suggest 13-16

HSE - Temperature: Links

maybe someone should remind them a train is still a place of work.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    back to the OP's point thought I do actually expect public transport to be at least some sort of 16+ degrees minimum - not sure why just one of those expectations

I am actually going to use public transport this Friday - but I am sure the arriva trains are pretty toasted iirc

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Is it possible to pretend to motorboat in one's sleep?
    I'm sure it's possible to pretend, whether it's believable is another thing.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    -7?? Where are you contracting? ******* Greenland!!!
    Punctuation fellas.

text blah blah - next bit. (Note the space).

If I put the - right up to the number then it means minus !!!!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    So the thread title is completely wrong, it's in fact Train - a bit nippy?
    FTFY & d000hgie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X