• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inane Discussions with Agents and answers you'd love to give"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    pimp: Hi Eirikur I've got your cv in front of me and i think I have a fantastic role for you
    Me: ok
    pimp: So where was your last role?
    Me: you have my cv in front of you

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Agent: Got cracking perm role close to home.
    Me: Perm? Dont really do that. Go on -how much?
    Agent: upt o £35K. Its really good for wales.
    Me: No thanks - I'll stick to contracting.
    Agent: Why? You won't get better than that for perm in wales.
    Me: <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• Ramrod
    replied
    I had a call on Friday, I'd already had my planned early finish scuppered so wasn't in the mood to play nice...

Pimp - "Hi Ramrod, it's been a while (I don't recall ever speaking to this one before) what are you up to at the minute, are you working?"

Me - "Yep, in a nice little contract until end of March thanks"

Pimp - "Oh good, only I was calling about a really great opportunity for you, tell me... how much are you getting paid in your current role?"

Me (Bristles up) - "How about you tell me all about this fantastic opportunity of yours and how much they're paying, then I'll decide how relevant my current pay is"

Pimp - "Hahaha... (fake laugh) give me a ballpark, what are we talking?"

Me - "Really? I thought we were talking about a new job, I don't see why you need to know what I'm on"

She eventually gave me some detail about the role, which was barely related to anything I do, or anything listed on my CV.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    I almost forgot my best one last year....

Agent: We have an excellent role if you are available at XYZ co. Are you available and would you be interested?

Me: Well, if you check with your colleagues, you will find that I am already contracted there with YOURCO for the next 4 months, would you like to have a word with XYZDUDE and see what he thinks?
    Bloody cannibals, the lot ...

Leave a comment:

• Contractoid
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Well you would know, you only ever post contrived bollocks (or lies if you prefer).

Contractoid covered most of the ones I'd like but I'll throw in one for good measure:-

Pimp -- It's our corporate policy to collect professional references from each of your contract primary contacts for the last 3 years prior to submitting your CV to the client, please provide names, positions, phone, email and client details.

Me -- Well it's my corporate policy to point out that you're on a fishing trip and a blatant liar go Fxxk yourself with a fork, sideways.
    Yes one of my favorites too, quite a new addition to the Agency inventory of total codswallop. I do love the responses when you do go the professional route and politely decline but state these things could be made available ONCE A F&^%$*(G OFFER IS ON THE TABLE (phrased slightly differently in reality of course). Oh and of course, if this were a genuine policy, they have also thought through the implications of asking for references from the same people every time you interview with them. Your reference providers won't get in the least bit annoyed will they.

Bunch of plonkers.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I almost forgot my best one last year....

Agent: We have an excellent role if you are available at XYZ co. Are you available and would you be interested?

Me: Well, if you check with your colleagues, you will find that I am already contracted there with YOURCO for the next 4 months, would you like to have a word with XYZDUDE and see what he thinks?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    The OP hit on the most irritating one. The "who are you?" and "what's this about?"

Well, if I am calling about a contract position...

I do wonder if some of them get paranoid about competitors calling up to inquire re day rates where these aren't disclosed, or perhaps even client names, but I think most of the time it's just thickos who answer the phone, and usually snotty ones, too. I've dealt with some very good, professional agents, but some do give you pause for thought...

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Agent question "Do you have any experience with Sharepoint 2010"
    My reply "No, not until next year when Microsoft release it"

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And then when he called back, you diverted him to voice mail...

Back in 1997 - before some of you were out of school...
    Agent: we've not been paid for the contract you did ending in June
    Me: oh, that's a shame. I have.
    Agent: erm.... it turns out we did the client timesheets signed after all... and now they won't pay us without them
    Me:

What the idiot didn't realise was that I was still in that contract, having been extended through his agency. And I'd got the timesheets signed and kept them, just to be on the safe side. Though I let him suffer a little longer before letting him know.
    I do not understand a word, sorry. << me

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    A pimp, calling me on my mobile was arranging to call me back later in the day.

Will you be in, he asked?

Dude, it's a mobile phone.
    And then when he called back, you diverted him to voice mail...

Back in 1997 - before some of you were out of school...
    Agent: we've not been paid for the contract you did ending in June
    Me: oh, that's a shame. I have.
    Agent: erm.... it turns out we did the client timesheets signed after all... and now they won't pay us without them
    Me:

What the idiot didn't realise was that I was still in that contract, having been extended through his agency. And I'd got the timesheets signed and kept them, just to be on the safe side. Though I let him suffer a little longer before letting him know.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    That is the most contrived load of bollocks you have ever posted.

Congrats
    Well you would know, you only ever post contrived bollocks (or lies if you prefer).

Contractoid covered most of the ones I'd like but I'll throw in one for good measure:-

Pimp -- It's our corporate policy to collect professional references from each of your contract primary contacts for the last 3 years prior to submitting your CV to the client, please provide names, positions, phone, email and client details.

Me -- Well it's my corporate policy to point out that you're on a fishing trip and a blatant liar go Fxxk yourself with a fork, sideways.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Will you be in doesn't mean will you be in, rather will you be in "a position" where you can talk to him for the 15 minutes or so he wants....

I agree there was 1 on the call but I really don't think it was the person you think it is...
    That is the most contrived load of bollocks you have ever posted.

Congrats

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Oh yeah.

This really happened, yesterday morning.
    Will you be in doesn't mean will you be in, rather will you be in "a position" where you can talk to him for the 15 minutes or so he wants....

I agree there was 1 on the call but I really don't think it was the person you think it is...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Oh yeah.

This really happened, yesterday morning.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    yess, we need 5 years or more of SQL 2013

no problem. I have eight years of that ......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X