• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I think I may be cut out to be a contractor..."

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Really ??
    Cut Up?

It worries me sometimes, especially when rubbing shoulders with the lessers. That is all :P

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    BUPA Insurance may not but the hospitals will as long as it is not too serious. They are quite happy to take your money for what is normally out-patient stuff. I had an eye cyst once, went to casualty, told 3 weeks to fix it and I couldn't drive for 3 weeks. Called local BUPA hospital, same day, £150 quid, they fixed it and I could drive after 1 day. Solid.

IACUTBAC
    Really ??

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    I don't think BUPA covers these injuries as they classify them as A&E / Walk-in centre stuff.
    BUPA Insurance may not but the hospitals will as long as it is not too serious. They are quite happy to take your money for what is normally out-patient stuff. I had an eye cyst once, went to casualty, told 3 weeks to fix it and I couldn't drive for 3 weeks. Called local BUPA hospital, same day, £150 quid, they fixed it and I could drive after 1 day. Solid.

IACUTBAC

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Sorry, are you the only one allowed to use this place as a self indulgent log?

Now get those stinky feet away from me.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I've been racked with worry all evening.
    Sorry, are you the only one allowed to use this place as a self indulgent log?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I've been racked with worry all evening.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Interestingly they have a walk in centre too, but I was left to go to A&E so don't feel too much of a time waster

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Well that was grim - haven't broken the toe, but they decided it all needed to be dug out. Mind you, it was long past the point of return - the new nail had completely gone wrong and the old one was still attached.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What would MF do?
    Lie about drinking champagne in first class while gently rocking back and forth crying and refreshing his rep page

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I stubbed my toe
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    ...counting down to the end of the day, so that I can drive 2 hours home from site to meet my Mrs who'll then take me to A&E, as recommended by NHS Direct and the first aider this morning.

I'm only 5 days into a new contract - no way could I lose a days billing AND risk losing the contract!

For the truly bored, I'd previously knackered my toenail on an endurance run last year. At one point it seemed to be sorting itself out, but to be honest, progress had stalled and I probably should have got it checked. This morning I managed to kick the absolute tulip out of it on the bed at the hotel and things went badly. Lots of blood, lots of pain and it appears that it's either exposed or caused bits of nail to be where nail shouldn't be. Definitely looks like it's gonna need some kind of surgical intervention to sort and 10 hours on it's still hurting a LOT.

The first aider offered to drive me to A&E, but I said we should ring NHS Direct first who confirmed that I should go. Bandaged myself up for work and now I get to look forward to spending Friday night with the damaged drunks. Yay.
    What would MF do?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Accident AND Emergency - does that mean it's covering two separate areas or one combined? The former means he can go because it sure sounds like an accident even if it's no emergency. The latter means only those suffering from accidental emergencies should turn up
    At my local main hospital, they've sorted out tricky philosophical questions like this by making the Walk-In Centre into the public entrance to A&E. When you show up at the desk they either get you to wait there, or send you straight through to triage if it clearly is, or may be, an emergency: kind of a preliminary triage stage. That way all the grazed knees never get any further than the WIC where they can be dealt with appropriately, and the people who need full A&E attention but can safely wait while the truly urgent cases are dealt with don't have to put up with a waiting room full of kids with saucepans on their heads.

As a bonus, this also removed a lot of pedestrian traffic from around the entrance where ambulance cases are brought in.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Well I'm here - place is pretty dead, but they reckon an hour or so. Using the clutch was tough
    You have a manual and not an auto?

Deffo not cut out to be a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Well I'm here - place is pretty dead, but they reckon an hour or so. Using the clutch was tough

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    A real contrator would have called BUPA, arranged a stay over the weekend and be eating caviar and being fed grapes whilst one foot gets fixed and the other foot is manicured.
    I don't think BUPA covers these injuries as they classify them as A&E / Walk-in centre stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X