• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My shinny neu iMac 5k or something"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What's with the ZX80 keyboard?
    lovely to use

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The spreadsheets look lovely on it.

What's with the ZX80 keyboard?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's rather nice. Photoshop or something camera apps do these days?
    An iPhone app called HDR pro with the sketch filter. A nice little app when your picture has more than one white balance to consider.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Here they are side by side

That's rather nice. Photoshop or something camera apps do these days?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It's the same size as the large "regular iMac" - 27" IIRC? Those always looked gorgeous, I've yet to see the 5k one in person as we only have an independent Apple reseller store and I don't think they caught up yet

I only yesterday saw the new iPhone6 & 6+ in the flesh - nobody I know has bothered upgrading - when I took in my Lumia 1020 to be repaired/replaced. Pretty.
    Here they are side by side

The only massive difference for me is not having to have my nose up against the screen to read the font. Its amazingly crisp to read.

Was not impressed with the iPhone 6. Felt like a departure in quality from the iPhone 5.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The laptop is near and the iMac far away.

I agree you'd not think it's the full size looking at that picture. Editing a doc in word last night, 3 landscape A4 pages side by side at 100% zoom. Woah.
    It's the same size as the large "regular iMac" - 27" IIRC? Those always looked gorgeous, I've yet to see the 5k one in person as we only have an independent Apple reseller store and I don't think they caught up yet

I only yesterday saw the new iPhone6 & 6+ in the flesh - nobody I know has bothered upgrading - when I took in my Lumia 1020 to be repaired/replaced. Pretty.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I thought it would be bigger. Or is your laptop massive?
    The laptop is near and the iMac far away.

I agree you'd not think it's the full size looking at that picture. Editing a doc in word last night, 3 landscape A4 pages side by side at 100% zoom. Woah.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I don't want to scare you but in the window opposite looks like a ghost watching you.
    Probably the bambino, that's me house across the road.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sartois View Post
    They do an all year round sale if you are cheeky enough to use the University discount... googling apple university discount will show you how to make use of it...

Just had a look and the maxed spec model with 4.0 i7, 32GB memory, 3TB Fusion drive and 4GB GDDR5 graphics card comes out at £2640 vs £2999 normally. Then with the VAT + CT off as well it's a mere £1690 if my maths are correct... it almost feels like if I don't get one then it's costing me money!
    Went for the 1TB SSD drive instead. That's the maxed spec model, not the one with moving parts.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I find a mouse ridiculously clumsy to use now. Good in its day, but then, so was the VT-100
    Never really liked the VT100.

The VT220 and successors were much better.

It's a shame that folks wrote so much "VT100 compatible"[1] stuff because the VT220 had more intelligence, not to mention a much superior keyboard.

[1] too often a loose meaning of the word "compatible" as you will discover if you run the tests available at vt100.net

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought it would be bigger. Or is your laptop massive?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    The spreadsheets look lovely on it.

I don't want to scare you but in the window opposite looks like a ghost watching you.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I find a mouse ridiculously clumsy to use now. Good in its day, but then, so was the VT-100
    I use a Kensington trackball, helps with 3 large monitors. But a trackpad, could be a nice xmas present to myself.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I think it comes with one, but isn't that the trackpad to the right. I use one of them rather than a mouse now.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Do Apple do a January sale?

No, it's a serious question
    I don't believe they ever have to date, but we can always live in hope

Leave a comment:

Working...
X