• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How should the UK hungry be helped?"

Collapse

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Almost all those on the street are nothing to do with money. Its other issues.
    Yes, big ones.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The media love to portray all those in poverty as scumbag parasites. The reality is that many are in real hardship through bad luck coupled with maybe a few bad decisions. Some foodbank customers are in work - but are so badly paid they need the extra help.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    only when they quit their:

sky tv subscriptions
    smoking habit
    drinking habit
    quit owning a car

etc etc etc
    Yes - but we're not just talking about Scots here. The question covers the whole of the UK, which the majority of your countrymen voted to stay in.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Really - "Almost all"

I must remember to tell my brother-in-law he's a liar.
    What does your brother-out-law do?

I have a friend(yes really!) who helps crisis out going round the homeless. He reckons that most homeless have drug or mental health issues.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Really - "Almost all"

I must remember to tell my brother-in-law he's a liar.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Why not? I remember at school we had once a fortnight a double lesson called Domestic Science which although was primarily cooking, also taught you the basics of looking after a household. The room ws full of cookers, some washing machines, irons and other household implements. I presume they don't do this at school anymore?

https://archive.org/details/schoolkitchentex00linc
    My hardest lessons were in the school kitchen with domestic science - Telegraph
    BBC - BBC Food blog: Should cooking be compulsory in schools?
    Society pays price for decision to scrap domestic science lessons | Western Morning News

(there was also needlework every fortnight which included knitting, etc. which was, to tell the truth pretty boring apart from the teacher who was, what is nowadays called, a MILF)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    People do move today for jobs.

For example migrants from Poland, Bulgaria and Romania. However I don't want have to keep stepping over people sleeping on the street.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you happen into poverty to be born in the African Savannah to a family who have lived in the same area for generations, you're going to move to London how?
    Because being born in Africa = poverty.

Bob is that you?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If I choose to in the African Savannah should I give up my private jet to fly into London every day?
    If you happen into poverty to be born in the African Savannah to a family who have lived in the same area for generations, you're going to move to London how?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    In my village they run one bus a day out and one bus a day in ...

So you think I should toughen up and sleep rough a couple of nights a week? Or just buy a car?

If I choose to in the African Savannah should I give up my private jet to fly into London every day?

Move house or change job!! I thought England was connected, there's more buses going in and out Western Isle to the mainland on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• NickyBoy
    replied
    But strangely in the good/bad old days many people would manage to move to where the work was, why is it so difficult today?

I remember watching a documentary on the Hoover Dam, and as soon as they announced it thousands of people turned up hoping for jobs. Unfortunately construction didn't start for another year, and those people had a pretty miserable time trying to survive in what was essentially desert. Not good, but shows the lengths some people will go to.
    People who moved for work slowly dying in a desert isn't really a 'pro moving' argument.
    Last edited by NickyBoy; 8 December 2014, 15:42.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It isn't as simple as it sounds.

Moving for a low paid, insecure job isn't practical. Landlords charge huge deposits (which you unlikely to get all back). Moving itself costs money. If you've got school age children, you're likely to need new uniforms and all that stuff, even ignoring the disruption to education etc.

Worth it for a well paid job, or a job that's likely to see you through the next 10 years, but not for something that's probably not going to pay the bills and likely to see you repeating the process in another 6 months.

That's the difference between jobs in the 'old days' and jobs today.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    But strangely in the good/bad old days many people would manage to move to where the work was, why is it so difficult today?

I remember watching a documentary on the Hoover Dam, and as soon as they announced it thousands of people turned up hoping for jobs. Unfortunately construction didn't start for another year, and those people had a pretty miserable time trying to survive in what was essentially desert. Not good, but shows the lengths some people will go to.
    People do move today for jobs.

For example migrants from Poland, Bulgaria and Romania. However I don't want have to keep stepping over people sleeping on the street.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    How do you move without any money?

Even if you don't have a car and can fit all your stuff into a couple of suitcases, how are you going to pay for the transport?
    Well, let's all just shoot ourselves then, eh?

Nobody has NO money. Not in the UK. That is a fact. If we keep making allowances for people like this, then they'll take them.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Even if you don't have a car and can fit all your stuff into a couple of suitcases, how are you going to pay for the transport?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    See, that one comment illustrates the reason why this country is in the mess it's in.

Yes, move house without a car. For God's sake, man.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X