• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "4 days a week - now I like this idea a lot"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    +1 and when you find something to moan about within the first 4 days keep it to yourself.
    Hardly moaning am I? Im just reflecting on something at new client which I think is quite positive to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Please get a permie job there.
    nah

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm 4 days a week at clientA (well thereabouts - 100 days over 6 months usually). Ask and they often say yes.
    4/5th of the cost for them I guess. Just how they see the perception of how much work there is to do. A lot of client always 'see' it as tons and tons and you'll be lucky to do in 5 days etc.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's what I do (actually 3 days) but only as I know the client well. I'd be wary applying for a contract and telling the client I was only prepared to work 3-4 days a week.
    Oh yeh. Of course. Cant see anyone agreeing to that off the bat. :-)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    +1 and when you find something to moan about within the first 4 days keep it to yourself.
    It wouldn't work.

What should I do on my day off?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I'm 4 days a week at my current client. When I started the contract I was on 5 days a week, but on my second extension I said I would only extend if they dropped it to 4 days. Which they did.

So more time for posting carp on here, and getting banned

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I've done a couple of part time (3-4 days a week) contracts in the past, it's nice, almost luxury if I'm honest.

A lot of clients and agents are reluctant to try to engage on that basis though since there's a lot of contractors unwilling to commit without a 5 day a week billing. Not that many clients are willing to be properly flexible on times too.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    My last gig was 4 days a week at my request - was a client I'd worked with previously though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Guy at new gig. Permie. Does 4 days per week so every friday off.
    Not talking about 5 days in 4 but 4 normal days.

Apparently, quite normal in the company.

How cool is this. Really fancy that.
    Of course, got to be able to afford it lol. But still more to life than money....

He even suggested that sometimes contractors can do this. Tempted..... :-)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I did 2 days a week for about 5 months. That was after a short term contract was coming to an end and they couldn't justify anyone full time but there was going to be dribs and drabs of work coming up. I told them I'd be happy to do the occasional week as it looked like the bench was looming anyway, and that turned into me saying "or I could do 2 days a week or something...". The client thought that was great and said it would never have occurred to him to ask.

I wanted to do some plan B work, so it worked out quite well for me to keep some income.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm 4 days a week at clientA (well thereabouts - 100 days over 6 months usually). Ask and they often say yes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's what I do (actually 3 days) but only as I know the client well. I'd be wary applying for a contract and telling the client I was only prepared to work 3-4 days a week.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    Last gig, big bank, a tonne of permies on 90% or less contracts.

These were the dinosaur lifer types with houses abroad waiting to retire.

Of course whatever the % spills over into benefits; reduced holidays and pay.....

This sort of flexibility is increasingly normal just not broadcast.
    Quite common in cloggers for both permie and contract.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Guy at new gig. Permie. Does 4 days per week so every friday off.
    Not talking about 5 days in 4 but 4 normal days.

Apparently, quite normal in the company.

How cool is this. Really fancy that.
    Of course, got to be able to afford it lol. But still more to life than money....

He even suggested that sometimes contractors can do this. Tempted..... :-)
    Last gig, big bank, a tonne of permies on 90% or less contracts.

These were the dinosaur lifer types with houses abroad waiting to retire.

Of course whatever the % spills over into benefits; reduced holidays and pay.....

This sort of flexibility is increasingly normal just not broadcast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X