• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vigilantes needed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vigilantes needed"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    We have some of those around here, not sure how effective they are.

They aren't effective.

Some show speed with the faces, while others show speed and tell you to slow down if you are going too fast.

There is one near me which is on a stretch down a hill with a bend at the end. Every one at least at some point has gone down the hill to see the highest speed they record on the sign. Even buses do it.

The house the sign is in front of has a hedge and brick wall plus there are barriers on the pavement in front of the house. I don't know anyone who has crashed into it in recent years....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    You mean applying gas and braking?
    Yes indeed but that is what people do everyday.

Most hypercar have their top speed electronically limited anyway, albeit not a such lowe speeds of course. 300mph for Veryon is more likely.
    Like many other I chose not to get the 'safety' options in car where it does the braking for me etc.
    The car for me a lot of my generation has been one of the few bastions of freedom - just roam wherever at whatever speeds you want.
    Now this idea is long gone, but when I see a nice, long stretch of the road, I like to feel the freedom to put the pedal to the metal if I felt like it.
    I won't necessarily do it, but freedom is a state of mind I guess
    Its not freedom its safety, 'what the f*** the dam thing has got a mind of its own crunch'

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    t
    Interfering with a vehicles speed is inherently dangerous.
    You mean applying gas and braking?
    Yes indeed but that is what people do everyday.

Most hypercar have their top speed electronically limited anyway, albeit not a such lowe speeds of course. 300mph for Veryon is more likely.
    Like many other I chose not to get the 'safety' options in car where it does the braking for me etc.
    The car for me a lot of my generation has been one of the few bastions of freedom - just roam wherever at whatever speeds you want.
    Now this idea is long gone, but when I see a nice, long stretch of the road, I like to feel the freedom to put the pedal to the metal if I felt like it.
    I won't necessarily do it, but freedom is a state of mind I guess

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    We must have the techonology now for smart road signs which could interact with a modern car. Car enters 30 zone, car detects speed limit via transmitter on sign, car becomes limited to say 35mph until end of 30 zone. Encourage take up of technology by offering insurance discount to cars fitted with technology.
    My new BMW could have something similar but as it was an option I said no I could also have had something to stop me getting to close to the car in front but that would have taken the fun out of harassing Audi drivers

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Problem is if the manufacturers fitted a device to limit your speed and you still got done for speeding (because it was 35 instead of 30), everybody would be suing the manufacturers for not doing it properly. Which is why it'll never happen: nobody wants the liability.
    This.

From a tech point of view this has probably been feasible for a long time.

Liability is the issue.

Was it on here in the Monday links ages ago the story about people forgetting their child in their car who then die of heat?

Folk in the US had invented a car seat that emits an alarm if the driver leaves the car with the child in it. But they can't get it past the legal process because of the liability when the device might fail.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Problem is if the manufacturers fitted a device to limit your speed and you still got done for speeding (because it was 35 instead of 30), everybody would be suing the manufacturers for not doing it properly. Which is why it'll never happen: nobody wants the liability.
    there is a certain amount of leeway before cameras go off 10% + 2 mph was common.

Interfering with a vehicles speed is inherently dangerous.

I'm not sure how driverless cars will perform but I suspect it will be scary / amusing seeing the wrinkles crashed out.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    We have some of those around here, not sure how effective they are. Re 35 was trying to factor in some flexibility, just a fag packet idea, I guess it could be 30. Ulitmately it's the driver's responsibility. But I bet a lot of drivers speed because modern cars feel slower at higher speeds compared to older cars, and sometimes its just keeping up with everyone else. Braking times may have reduced but thinking times are still as slow as they ever were.

A maximum speed would remove any pressure as the majority of cars would be at a legal speed, I doubt that is the case in most places now. I know the 30 zone at the end of my road regularly has cars doing 45-50 and most are breaking the 30mph.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Why 35 if it's a 30?

I drove to France a month or so back and every little village seemed to have those digital signs that show you the speed you're doing, sometimes with a smiley face to tell you if it's good or bad. I don't know why we don't do that more here; pretty simple really and public shaming and guilt works a lot better than a vague threat that you might get caught.
    We have some of those around here, not sure how effective they are. Re 35 was trying to factor in some flexibility, just a fag packet idea, I guess it could be 30. Ulitmately it's the driver's responsibility. But I bet a lot of drivers speed because modern cars feel slower at higher speeds compared to older cars, and sometimes its just keeping up with everyone else. Braking times may have reduced but thinking times are still as slow as they ever were.

A maximum speed would remove any pressure as the majority of cars would be at a legal speed, I doubt that is the case in most places now. I know the 30 zone at the end of my road regularly has cars doing 45-50 and most are breaking the 30mph.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why 35 if it's a 30?
    Suppose you need to accelerate to get out of trouble?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We must have the techonology now for smart road signs which could interact with a modern car. Car enters 30 zone, car detects speed limit via transmitter on sign, car becomes limited to say 35mph until end of 30 zone. Encourage take up of technology by offering insurance discount to cars fitted with technology.
    We have the technology based on how accurately my phone's GPS app knows the speed limits.

And some cars already have speed limiters based on GPS... mostly super-fast cars which are limited to 130 unless they detect you are on a race track (seriously).

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Why 35 if it's a 30?

I drove to France a month or so back and every little village seemed to have those digital signs that show you the speed you're doing, sometimes with a smiley face to tell you if it's good or bad. I don't know why we don't do that more here; pretty simple really and public shaming and guilt works a lot better than a vague threat that you might get caught.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I like that idea - except my incentive is to combine it with GPS so that you get a free SatNav.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    and then someone works how to control it and use it for a Crash for cash Scam.
    Presumably driverless cars will have to allow for speed limits?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    and then someone works how to control it and use it for a Crash for cash Scam.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X