• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you an IPSE member"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Thanks. Just curiosity. I suppose most people work as a permie for a few years before going contracting.
    There were about 1% of people 29 and under, and 10% of people 60+.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It's on the website, if a little tricky to find. Look under Resources /Membership Research /PCG Benchmarking survey. Members only, I'm afraid.

Median age at the 2013 survey was around 48, with over 89% between 30 and 59.
    Thanks. Just curiosity. I suppose most people work as a permie for a few years before going contracting.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    What about current membership? Are we mostly old?
    It's on the website, if a little tricky to find. Look under Resources /Membership Research /PCG Benchmarking survey. Members only, I'm afraid.

Median age at the 2013 survey was around 48, with over 89% between 30 and 59.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You need to start a new thread and do a poll.

And no I'm not old....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Amusing as the CC/BOD has no one under 45 and average age must be closer to 55

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'm definitely PCG rather than IPSE but it'd be the first place I'd go if I had another enquiry.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    They're photos of the type of members that they want now.
    Amusing as the CC/BOD has no one under 45 and average age must be closer to 55

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hmm. Just checked the IPSE advert with its photos. If I was still contracting I would be suspicious of such a young looking lot. Any organisation needs one or two few old farts to convey an impression of experience. Senility (and vodka) is actually wisdom you know, you lot are just too young to understand that.
    They're photos of the type of members that they want now.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hmm. Just checked the IPSE advert with its photos. If I was still contracting I would be suspicious of such a young looking lot. Any organisation needs one or two few old farts to convey an impression of experience. Senility (and vodka) is actually wisdom you know, you lot are just too young to understand that.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Been there since the early days (although not quite early enough to be one of the original 'Fifty Quidders').

Have had two gigs totalling 15 months as a result of my membership.

Don't engage/ go on the forums very much these days.

FLCs will be an additional burden and will make us an absolutely easy standing target for HMRC in the future.

(Just A Thick Tester)

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you had Scottish independence your taxes would be higher.

The fact that Scotland remains in the UK means that the Scottish Parliament won't use the tax raising powers they already have because the blame will be put squarely on them not Westminster.
    My higher taxes would be going into a Scottish treasury though and not subsidising things like HS2 and Crossrail which have no benefit to Scotland.

If Westminster gives us the powers we want then there's a good chance that my taxes will be lower. For a start APD would be abolished.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I've gone for the insurance only option.

As the PCG they saved me a lot of money vs HMRC and I was happy to stay a member to help fund other cases coming behind me.

I don't mind them widening the brief to bring in other flavours of freelancers but I don't like the sound of the FLC agenda.

Also, they aligned themselves with the Westminster elite and the CBI against Scottish Independence so I'm thinking of letting go at my next renewal. I don't take part in the fora due to the Daily Mail-esque type posters.
    If you had Scottish independence your taxes would be higher.

The fact that Scotland remains in the UK means that the Scottish Parliament won't use the tax raising powers they already have because the blame will be put squarely on them not Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    For the insurance. That's all.

Leave a comment:

• SarahL2012
    replied
    When I originally joined (only 3 years ago) it was mainly for the insurance because I was nervous about IR35. I did like the idea of joining a group that concentrated on BoS contractors though - I knew the majority were from an IT background, but thought that a lot of the same info applied to those of us in finance roles.

I'm yet to be convinced about widening the offering to all freelancers. I know quite a few 'proper' freelancers (travel writing, training & hairdressing spring to mind) and none of them are affected by the IR35 issue because they are not a BoS contractor who could be deemed to be an employee. I worry that widening what PCG / IPSE focusses on will dilute the message rather than strengthen it. I wanted to be a member of a group that supported people like me.

And I am unimpressed by the FLC stuff. I can see from the IPSE forums that CC members are saying this hasn't really been thought through & I think that is dangerous. Next thing we know is some civil servant will 'think it through' and we'll be in a worse position than with IR35.

Rant over!

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    I've gone for the insurance only option.

As the PCG they saved me a lot of money vs HMRC and I was happy to stay a member to help fund other cases coming behind me.

I don't mind them widening the brief to bring in other flavours of freelancers but I don't like the sound of the FLC agenda.

Also, they aligned themselves with the Westminster elite and the CBI against Scottish Independence so I'm thinking of letting go at my next renewal. I don't take part in the fora due to the Daily Mail-esque type posters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X