• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Plan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Plan"

Collapse

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    What happened?

He operated in England !

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Only works if you're an investement whiz kid...and only if you're not greedy.

My plan was similar to that...now the plan is to work until I die. Or move abroad which-ever comes first.

What happened?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Build up experience/doss around -- in your 20's
    Earn good money -- 30's
    Save -- 30's
    Invest -- 30's
    Semi-Retire -- 39

Sound good?
    Anyone else got a similar plan?
    Only works if you're an investement whiz kid...and only if you're not greedy.

My plan was similar to that...now the plan is to work until I die. Or move abroad which-ever comes first.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Three flats like mine would cost just over a million. After costs and basic rate tax they would bring in just under £30,000 per year.

The purpose of owning real assets like property and shares (as opposed to bank deposits or bonds) is that the capital and income should automatically rise to keep pace with inflation.

Of course owning just three properties is risky. You could spread your money over hundreds of properties by investing in commercial property funds. Listed ones are paying dividends of 5% at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Well that just goes to show who really is self centered!

I would want to leave my children with some kind of legacy, an inheritance if you like. So I don't want to go about creating a situation where I die broke and leave my wife/children with nowt.

Actuaries are clever people but only numerically. Think business-like and think assets. Buy assets to generate your income, whether that be properties, mutual funds, stocks (dividend income), long dated gilts/bonds etc etc. That way you get your income and still retain a good chance of inflation busting rises over the long term.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Of course, I ignore any bequest motive, but since contractors are self-centered wa*kers that seems reasonable. Did I mention that I am an actuary ?

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    If you live long enough you see everything,

even an intelligent posting from Jabberwocky.
    I think I'd better go for a lie-down, I feel quite faint.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    But that is what I said...1 million is just about adequate, as you can draw up to 40K without eating into the million which as you say is necessary. Inflation will eat your capital considerably over 40 years, which is why you need a buffer, i.e. you can probably draw a bit less than 40 in the beginning and then increase it later.

On half a mill there is anbsolutely no way.
    That's a gross over-estimate - the 1 mill is of no use to you when you die, and that is guaranteed - what you need is a good set of life tables and some fking intelligence. As a ball park figure find the price of an annuity that delivers £40,000 p.a. - Christ, I am wasted on here.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Think cashflow, not net value, and then it makes more sense.

A very much simplified example is - £1m in the bank will generate £40k income a year in interest. That leaves your £1m in tact for as long as you need. Or ... 4 mortgage free houses will generate £40k in rental income per year, and of course the houses will always be yours. It's not like you're eating into the actual value of the house or the £1m. Ignoring inflation of course.
    But that is what I said...1 million is just about adequate, as you can draw up to 40K without eating into the million which as you say is necessary. Inflation will eat your capital considerably over 40 years, which is why you need a buffer, i.e. you can probably draw a bit less than 40 in the beginning and then increase it later.

On half a mill there is anbsolutely no way.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Ignoring inflation of course.
    Don't ignore inflation, if you take inflation into account it makes even more sense to buy the houses. Increase in rent over time, and value of the houses (well, after the great property crash of 2008 anyway).

40 grand pa isn't going to be worth a great deal in another decade or 2.
    Anyway by then all non-Sharia compliant bank accounts will have their assets frozen and confiscated for use by the government of the Peoples Islamic Republic of Britain.

All because you were too bloody tight-fisted and selfish trying to save for financial freedom instead of breeding like a rabbit to ensure the survival of the nation.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    Sign on the dole and get benefits !
    Go swimming off Dover, throw away your passport and pretend you're an immigrant who needs asylum.... free house, food, benefits, no taxes, cash in hand work... gotta love Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Sign on the dole and get benefits !

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    Too much hassle. Just live off the cash...
    Yep that's what I would want to do too. The real problem is then that inflation eats into your imaginary £1m savings so you can't really spend the whole £40k interest you earn each year, more like spend only £15k and leave the other £25k in the bank to account for inflation!

Might as well just give up and work til ur 75.....

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Too much hassle. Just live off the cash...

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    ...yes but at 39 you need a hell of a lot more than if your 65, this money needs to fund your life for 40 years plus not 15, if you're married with sprogs you'll probably need more.

People who retire at 40 work as traders in the City and have a couple of mill behind them.

However you'll probably have enough then to plough it into a B&B in Spain or work yourself to death on your own campsite in Tuscany. Thats what a lot of 40 year olds seem to do these days.
    Think cashflow, not net value, and then it makes more sense.

A very much simplified example is - £1m in the bank will generate £40k income a year in interest. That leaves your £1m in tact for as long as you need. Or ... 4 mortgage free houses will generate £40k in rental income per year, and of course the houses will always be yours. It's not like you're eating into the actual value of the house or the £1m. Ignoring inflation of course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X