• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UKIP is wrong - I just changed my mind on the EU"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You wont see many of them working for Dyson either
    You don't see many Europeans working for Dyson at all seeing as most of their manufacturing now takes place in the Far East. It seems only R&D and beancounting is performed in the UK now

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The average salary of an Engineer in Poland is 16K which is more than you'd earn at Starbucks on a pittance, and since the cost of living in Poland is lower you probably won't see many Polish Engineers in Starbucks.
    You wont see many of them working for Dyson either

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If you are an engineer from a top University in the UK you are not going to want to go and work for Dyson, National Grid, Mott Macdonald on pittance salaries for 20 years when you can get a job in retail, banking or consultancy that will see you on £100k by the time you are 30.

These engineering companies live on another planet and I reckon you are quite right. Eastern european engineers are probably earning more at Starbucks than they would at Dyson doing Engineering.
    The average salary of an Engineer in Poland is 16K which is more than you'd earn at Starbucks on a pittance, and since the cost of living in Poland is lower you probably won't see many Polish Engineers in Starbucks.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    As I posted I assume the Eastern Europeans are now asking for too much money.
    If you are an engineer from a top University in the UK you are not going to want to go and work for Dyson, National Grid, Mott Macdonald on pittance salaries for 20 years when you can get a job in retail, banking or consultancy that will see you on £100k by the time you are 30.

These engineering companies live on another planet and I reckon you are quite right. Eastern european engineers are probably earning more at Starbucks than they would at Dyson doing Engineering.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    With the demand for certain skills in high demand but short supply, UK businesses are widening their reach to find the talent they need – as leading organisations look to Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines for new talent.

My point was why are they not hiring from eastern europe?
    As I posted I assume the Eastern Europeans are now asking for too much money.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    They want a living wage now that the wages have gone up over there because all of their skilled people are taking the shop jobs our 'lazy unemployed' don't want.

It used to be a bowl of rice a day, now they want meat as well. How will we ever afford our corporate jets and bonuses?
    With the demand for certain skills in high demand but short supply, UK businesses are widening their reach to find the talent they need – as leading organisations look to Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines for new talent.

My point was why are they not hiring from eastern europe?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Why are they not looking at Eastern Europe?
    They want a living wage now that the wages have gone up over there because all of their skilled people are taking the shop jobs our 'lazy unemployed' don't want.

It used to be a bowl of rice a day, now they want meat as well. How will we ever afford our corporate jets and bonuses?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Well their point is:

Apparently Bill Gates & Steve Jobs don't want to work for NMW so lets raid the LDCs for cheap labour.
    Why are they not looking at Eastern Europe?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Your point is?

Well their point is:

Apparently Bill Gates & Steve Jobs don't want to work for NMW so lets raid the LDCs for cheap labour.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Your point is?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Skills shortage hampers CEOs growth plans - HR Grapevine

A quarter of UK business leaders plan to increase their headcount by up to five per cent in the next 12 months, but many are concerned that they won't be able to find the people with the right skills to fill these positions.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

So when are we going to invent the first petrol driven human being? The invention of the car is what changed this prediction, if it hadn't been invented then we would see carts going in to collect horse manure.

Unless you see a significant change in the human race then it seems valid.

As far as automation McDonalds and some pizza companies are already seriously looking at more automation of food production, in 10 years a McJob will be manager level only.
    We've had meths driven humans for years. They are not terribly productive though.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    When I see debates like this I'm always reminded of:
    So when are we going to invent the first petrol driven human being? The invention of the car is what changed this prediction, if it hadn't been invented then we would see carts going in to collect horse manure.

Unless you see a significant change in the human race then it seems valid.

As far as automation McDonalds and some pizza companies are already seriously looking at more automation of food production, in 10 years a McJob will be manager level only.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    When I see debates like this I'm always reminded of:

In 1894, the Times of London estimated that by 1950 every street in the city would be buried nine feet deep in horse manure. One New York prognosticator of the 1890s concluded that by 1930 the horse droppings would rise to Manhattan’s third-story windows.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Certainly not where vested interests are at play.
    I've just read this interesting article - linky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X