• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When should I stop mowing the lawn?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    You do know that "mowing the lawn" is a euphemism for having sex with your wife
    I always use it when talking about servicing yours.

It was about time we took the thread to the gutter.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    You do know that "mowing the lawn" is a euphemism for having sex with your wife

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    It's important that any sand you get is washed sand and it must be lime free and pH neutral. Builders sand is another no no.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I think it should be "sharp sand" whatever the feck that is.

Presumably not blunt sand.
    it has small sharp stones 2-3 mm mixed in rather than being totally granular. Means it sets more like concrete than mortar. I assume they want the small stones to prevent it being washed away.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The sand you can get from a DIY store and doesn't cost a lot.
    How can you tell if it's been suitably sharpened though? What if you pick up a bag that's been mishandled and has gone blunt as a consequence?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I think it should be "sharp sand" whatever the feck that is.

Presumably not blunt sand.
    The sand you can get from a DIY store and doesn't cost a lot.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    "Shady lawn seed" - sounds dodgy to me

I hadn't thought of filling the holes with sand, maybe that's why it hasn't worked so well.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
    grass is just weeds really. Rip it up and go with Astro.
    Innit...

Leave a comment:

• Underscore Pt2
    replied
    grass is just weeds really. Rip it up and go with Astro.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Astroturf?

I know someone in Essex with a large lawn the bone idle sod has replaced entirely with astroturf.

It's heartbeaking watching the blackbirds trying to catch worms and finding their beaks just bounce off the "grass"

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    Before asking a bunch of un-informed people on a internet forum, what did your horticulturist say? You do have a horticulturist dont you?

Are you sure you are cut out to be a Gardner?
    Last edited by Tasslehoff; 21 October 2014, 09:36.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Maybe this belongs in Technical, but anyway ..

I'm new to this gardening caper, and have been mowing my lawns once a week. But I understand that grass stops growing about this time of year, as the daylight hours decline, and that soon the lawns can be left unmown until spring.

But even in the last week the grass has grown an inch or so, and I wondered whether to fight it to the last ditch and mow it yet again, or whether it would actually be healthier for it to be left slightly too long over the winter.

Maybe I should mow it once more this year. What do you think?
    Depends whether you like a bit of muff showing outside the bikini line or prefer a brazilian

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Ooh, I'm going to look at this. I know I should be treating/feeding the gardens through winter, but I can't be arsed.

Thanks!
    No you shouldn't be treating/feeding the garden lawn during winter. You should be removing leaves and not walking on the grass it if it's frosty.

However where I am it doesn't turn into Winter until mid-December.

Lawn care should ideally happen in Spring and Autumn. However now is unfortunately too late to do anything even though if you were in the Southern part of the country you could have done stuff last week i.e. mid-October.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 21 October 2014, 09:13.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    For a bigger lawn I might get someone in, but ours is really more of a toy lawn. The problem spot is not ever walked on so it's purely about looking good. Having got the lawn perfectly square, it's one place I allow myself to be a bit OCD

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Get a company in that will treat your lawn. I have someone come in every 10 weeks and they apply the correct treatment depending on the season.
    Ooh, I'm going to look at this. I know I should be treating/feeding the gardens through winter, but I can't be arsed.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X