• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will Scottish independence mean lots more IT work and higher rates?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY
    TAXI!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Oh so now you want a CU, jimmy?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Oh so now you want a CU?
    No, but if I contract with the Scottish government (and I may have something lined up), I don't want the currency of the contract changing halfway through the contract, regardless of what happens with the Scottish currency. Actually that's theoretical for me and not a risk for my case, as it would be completed before independence.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Will Scottish independence mean lots more IT work and higher rates?

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Splitting HMRC is going to be hard, painful, good-paying work as a starter Migrating from the MoD system to a Scottish Army / Navy / Air Force system isn't going to be cheap.

Removing the government services which are shared at the moment (HMRC, Home Office, MoJ, RC shared service centres as a starter) are going to be big, expensive projects.

Give it a year and the likes of Fujitsu, Crapita, Steria, Crap Gemini etc will have "won" the work, realised that they can't fulfil it, and then turn to the contract market to get some real expertise in.

Toot-toot!
    I used to live in Scotland when I was young, one of my siblings was born there too. Is there anyway we can add an extra few votes to the yes campaign?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    - new accounting/tax systems
    - changes to existing systems
    - new government bodies and agencies
    - competition between Scotland and England for the best talent
    - new passport systems perhaps?
    Splitting HMRC is going to be hard, painful, good-paying work as a starter Migrating from the MoD system to a Scottish Army / Navy / Air Force system isn't going to be cheap.

Removing the government services which are shared at the moment (HMRC, Home Office, MoJ, RC shared service centres as a starter) are going to be big, expensive projects.

Give it a year and the likes of Fujitsu, Crapita, Steria, Crap Gemini etc will have "won" the work, realised that they can't fulfil it, and then turn to the contract market to get some real expertise in.

Toot-toot!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Just make sure your contracts specify sterling and are under the jurisdiction of English courts. You don't want it redenominated into groats.
    Oh so now you want a CU?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Just make sure your contracts specify sterling and are under the jurisdiction of English courts. You don't want it redenominated into groats.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Loads of Scots commuting to England during the week and leaving their taxes behind, in Blighty, but without any public expenses. Think of all that complicated cross-border tax.
    Gonna need some sophisticated IT systems if you ask me.. I'll give a reasonable quote for my services, shall we say 1000/day?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So you think the English IT systems will emerge unscathed and demand will only be on one side of the border?
    Just cut the cables, no? You IT people always complicating simply matters.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Loads of Scots commuting to England during the week and leaving their taxes behind, in Blighty, but without any public expenses. Think of all that complicated cross-border tax.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Got to go where the work is?
    So you think the English IT systems will emerge unscathed and demand will only be on one side of the border?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Who said anything about moving to Scotland?
    Got to go where the work is?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Yes, but you have to pass a citizenship test.

Could you pass a Scottish citizenship test?

And at least a B1 level with the lingo.
    Who said anything about moving to Scotland?

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    As well as any seperation work, work for companies to relocate, etc.

Plus of course, there will be an increased demand so even if not directly involved with Scottish work, due to the law of supply & demand there may be pressure to increase rates

Leave a comment:

• JustinTime
    replied
    - new accounting/tax systems
    - changes to existing systems
    - new government bodies and agencies
    - competition between Scotland and England for the best talent
    - new passport systems perhaps?
    Please allow me to summarise that for you: ca-ching!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X