• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Hillsborough

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hillsborough"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Actually I've been dragged to half of the matches I've watched by female fans. As I've said football fans are strange.....
    You're the strange one, you don't half ******* waffle on!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Thats because most football fans are men and men are strange to you. I find women the same. Why do I have to have an opinion on everything?
    Actually I've been dragged to half of the matches I've watched by female fans. As I've said football fans are strange.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Football fans are a strange bunch.
    Thats because most football fans are men and men are strange to you. I find women the same. Why do I have to have an opinion on everything?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I know lots of different people who hate but admire Thatcher at the same time.

She was intelligent enough to pay the police well and support them so they were the government's thugs when needed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    This might help some of the forum's Kelvin McKenzies Though it's quite long.

Page 2 | Home Office
    It doesn't matter.

They rather blame Liverpool fans even though not all Liverpool fans are Scousers and some of the people who died where teenage girls and OAPs, who were very unlikely to be strong enough to cause physical trouble in a group that mainly consisted of young men.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    This might help some of the forum's Kelvin McKenzies Though it's quite long.

Page 2 | Home Office

Here's a sampler:

1. In 1981 before the FA Cup Semi-Final between Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers there was serious congestion at the Leppings Lane turnstiles and crushing on the confined outer concourse. It resulted in the opening of exit Gate C to relieve the crush. The disclosed documents indicate that entry into the stadium was managed by South Yorkshire Police (SYP) officers on duty and Sheffield Wednesday Football Club (SWFC) stewards.

2. What followed was a serious crush on the terraces in which many people were injured and fatalities narrowly avoided. At that time lateral fences did not divide the Leppings Lane terrace into pens, and fans were able to move sideways along the full length of the terrace; others escaped onto the perimeter track through the narrow gates in the perimeter fence.

3. The disclosed documents show that police officers located on the inner concourse, between the turnstiles and the rear of the terrace, restricted access to the central tunnel under the West Stand, diverting fans to the side access points to the terrace, thus relieving pressure at the centre. Crowd density figures available to the Panel demonstrate that the maximum capacity for the terrace was significantly exceeded.
    Here's some grainy footage of the Leppings Lane during the 1981 semi.

Hillsborough 1981 - It Could have been Tottenham! - Hotspur HQ

In the next semi-final at Hillsborough in 1987 Leeds United were allocated the Leppings Lane end. There was no crush outside the ground, though once more fans were being crushed inside owing to the numbers of people packed onto the terrace.

Why didn't Leeds fans get crushed outside the ground? Because the police had set up roadblocks hence the trickle of fans into Leppings Lane was slow but steady, allowing easier entry through the turnstiles.

Here's a quote from a Liverpool fan who attended the 1988 semi-final:

FA ignored warning of crushing at 1988 semi-final - News & Comment - Football - The Independent

"The whole area was packed solid to the point where it was impossible to move and where I, and others around me, felt considerable concern for personal safety," the supporter wrote. "As a result of the crush an umbrella I was holding in my hand was snapped in half against the crush barrier in front of me… My concern over safety was such – at times it was impossible to breathe – that at half-time… I managed to extricate myself from the terrace, having taken the view that my personal safety was more important than watching the second half."
    So it's pretty evident that Hillsborough wasn't so much an accident waiting to happen but an accident that happened to varying degrees in 1981, 1987, 1988 and of course in 1989.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Spain's Thatcher square defaced by 'Brits' - The Local

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Because until a verdict of "No blame attached to Liverpool fans" is presented they will insist on inquiry after inquiry.
    I think they are trying to get to the bottom of this mess.

Have a read....

BBC News - Hillsborough inquest verdicts quashed by High Court

Lord Judge said there was "deliberate misinformation surrounding the disaster".

"There has been a profound and palpable belief that justice had not been done [and] it is clear there are sound grounds for this application," he said.

He added the court wanted to "record our admiration and respect [to the families] for their determined search for the truth about the disaster and why and how it had occurred, which - despite disappointments and setbacks - has continued for nearly quarter of a century."

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Argh
    well done you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    All those people without tickets - why did they travel there?
    People went to Brazil from England without tickets to see any matches.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Why were they in the crowd trying to get in?
    Some probably expected to be able to get tickets from touts.

Football fans are a strange bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    All those people without tickets - why did they travel there?

Why were they in the crowd trying to get in?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    They had a history of acting like yobbos, see Heysel disaster only a couple of years earlier. So it's difficult to see how blame cannot be apportioned to the fans
    Because until a verdict of "No blame attached to Liverpool fans" is presented they will insist on inquiry after inquiry.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    As already stated on this thread the authorities screwed up big time.
    Agreed, but they probably didn't realise what a huge crowd of low-life scum they were getting.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Ok I'll be tactful. It was rumoured at the time there were lots of forged tickets about, some printed on home printers and that fans were travelling with them...
    There are always forged tickets around for popular events.

Some people don't know they are forged and actually have paid for them thinking they are genuine, so telling people to hold up genuine tickets doesn’t work.

As already stated on this thread the authorities screwed up big time.

BTW You are just trying to say the Liverpool fans were all yobs. Yes some football fans at that time regardless of team they supported were yobs. Remember at Hillsborough some of the people who died where teenagers including girls and OAPs also died.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 18 September 2014, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Why would you tell people with genuine tickets to hold them in the air?

That's stupid regardless of the event.

If an event is sought after then there will be people willing to steal tickets.

Part of the reason other events don't have problems is they do a two stage entry.
    Ok I'll be tactful. It was rumoured at the time there were lots of forged tickets about, some printed on home printers and that fans were travelling with them...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X