• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brendan O'Neill

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brendan O'Neill"

Collapse

• JustinTime
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You're the second CUK poster I've seen use that quote in the time I've been here. But I can't believe that you are the same person
    Googled it.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well he was caught fiddling his expenses. We really need to rid ourselves of those with their nose in the trough.
    Jim Murphy MP, East Renfrewshire - TheyWorkForYou

How Jim Murphy voted on Foreign Policy and Defence
    Voted moderately for use of UK military forces in combat operations overseas
    Voted very strongly for the Iraq war
    Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war
    Voted very strongly for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system

Voted moderately for more EU integration
    Voted moderately against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU
    Voted moderately for strengthening the Military Covenant

He was part of Blair's warmongering machine. He didn't turn up to vote against the bedroom tax.

His wee tour of 100 towns wasn't getting a mention in the press until he was egged - something that points to it being a setup as the culprit hasn't been caught despite his face being seen on video. When the tour started again yesterday there was a fair presence of press and photographers there so his PR stunt worked. As it was just no supporters there to listen to him he was preaching to the converted anyway which is basically a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
    “An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”
    ― Plato
    You're the second CUK poster I've seen use that quote in the time I've been here. But I can't believe that you are the same person

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Perhaps that is what Cameron wants
    His eye will be too much on the history books to want that.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Salmond claimed 116,000 one year for Westminster expenses and only turned up 6 times.

20,000 a year is small fry compared to 20,000 per day.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Anyway, I seen Jim Murphy speak 2 weeks ago and there should have been arrests, it was truly bonkers the level of abuse and intimidation that he and his followers were met with. All orchestrated online previously I must add by the nationalists as I seen myself.
    Well he was caught fiddling his expenses. We really need to rid ourselves of those with their nose in the trough.

the MP for East Renfrewshire is among those listed as raking in income by letting out their London properties while claiming up to £20,000 a year to rent in the city.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTime
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so just like a night out in town when a Scottish regiment was bunked at Aldershot.
    Eh?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
    IMV that aggression is why the No voters are keeping their heads down.
    so just like a night out in town when a Scottish regiment was bunked at Aldershot.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTime
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Same here - one friend in particular aggressively 'yes'. My cousins haven't mentioned it - that probably means they're 'no's as the 'yes' lot do shout loudly.
    “An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”
    ― Plato

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's hard to make a case for a status quo, especially one where a lot people are already dissatisfied. The Yes campaign can promise the world with no evidence to back it up and it will appeal to people who think "well, it can't be any worse". On Facebook I've seen probably 10:1 ratio of Yes campaigners to No campaigners. They are far more motivated and aggressive.
    Same here - one friend in particular aggressively 'yes'. My cousins haven't mentioned it - that probably means they're 'no's as the 'yes' lot do shout loudly.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The debate usually goes like this...

"I am quite happy with things as they are"

"So you don't mind foodbanks then, kids are starving every night because of people like you, we wont have an NHS because of you, money spent on weapons of mass destruction rather than on cancer victims, you are killing kids with cancer"

Most tend to avoid people who are behaving hysterically and irrationally, it is tough now that we have to engage with them rationally over subjects so important.

Anyway, I seen Jim Murphy speak 2 weeks ago and there should have been arrests, it was truly bonkers the level of abuse and intimidation that he and his followers were met with. All orchestrated online previously I must add by the nationalists as I seen myself.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's hard to make a case for a status quo, especially one where a lot people are already dissatisfied. The Yes campaign can promise the world with no evidence to back it up and it will appeal to people who think "well, it can't be any worse". On Facebook I've seen probably 10:1 ratio of Yes campaigners to No campaigners. They are far more motivated and aggressive.
    IMV that aggression is why the No voters are keeping their heads down.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I agree with the sentiment that the better together campaign is failing miserably.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I agree with the sentiment that the better together campaign is failing miserably.
    Perhaps that is what Cameron wants

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He is firmly behind the "No" vote!

Scottish independence: Better Together needs to ditch the bullied-kid act and discover some principles – Telegraph Blogs

He sums it up all rather nicely:

As someone who very much hopes that Scots vote No on 18 September and refuse to allow their nation to become the tinpot outpost of narrow-minded identity politics and nanny statism that the SNP dreams of,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X