• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Two years' free Sky broadband - What's the catch?"

Collapse

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Lots of people don't watch any live TV except sport so record what they want to watch. This is one of the easiest ways of doing so.
    WSES

I personally use Sky Go as I'm down here in the big smoke, I tried to cancel my Sky subscription on Friday as I pay £50-60 a month. I spoke to the cancellations team for an hour and ended up with a 2nd multi-room box (Sky+HD) at half price for 12 months and 20% off my entire sky bill for 8 months. All in all it was a bargain as I already have a 50% discounted multi-room subscription from the digital switchover the only reason I wanted to cancel was the fact that Mrs S wanted another Sky+ HD for the bedroom and they wanted £200.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    blimey you lot all on benefits?

who has time for Sky?
    Lots of people don't watch any live TV except sport so record what they want to watch. This is one of the easiest ways of doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

who has time for Sky?
    SkyGo on work laptop makes it worthwhile, Shirley? 💷

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

who has time for Sky?
    People who are good at contracting?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

who has time for Sky?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I gather Sky throw in two years' free broadband when one signs up for their TV package.

What's the catch? Diabolical service? Limited Internet access through a router they insist one uses?

Or is it being tied in with them for longer than two years, with a huge bill due in two years' time?
    The catch is you're signed up to sky for two years so if better offers come along, you're tied in and will have to pay exit charges.

The ideas is to stop people defecting to bt when sky lose some major sports contracts in the next 12-18 months.

Some people say sky is crap, depends if you watch the car crash channels.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    There's a bunch of stuff on the Sci Fi, comedy and food channels, & loads of on demand box sets, plus iPlayer, 4OD and other catch up services, must admit the main selling point for me is the box sets/catchup and the ability to record stuff to watch later, I got 50% off for a 12 month contract so am only paying 16 quid a month for all of that (with free HD channels where available).
    You get loads of sci-fi, food, etc on FTA. Paying for something "because it has iPlayer" is silly, virtually every new TV has it built in these days as does every new freeview box and any games console, etc.

The box-sets is a welcome addition however, though it seems silly the best part of Sky is not the satellite part

And VM - if they included F1 I'd be on it but you got in early

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    There's a bunch of stuff on the Sci Fi, comedy and food channels, & loads of on demand box sets, plus iPlayer, 4OD and other catch up services, must admit the main selling point for me is the box sets/catchup and the ability to record stuff to watch later, I got 50% off for a 12 month contract so am only paying 16 quid a month for all of that (with free HD channels where available).
    Lots of rubbish reality documentaries about Americans buying and selling things, don't forget. I am a bit hooked on all the fishing/Alaska/gold prospecting shows, not to mention the endless Grand Designs reruns (which are possibly on free telly, not sure anymore).

Plus 70 odd HD channels now, which perhaps normal people don't care about but I do. And F1. I think it's worth it as a luxury, and £33pm is not a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you don't get sport or movie channels, what is there that's worth paying for? Atlantic?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    5 quid on top of the basic sky package for entertainments plus gets you quite a lot really.
    If you don't get sport or movie channels, what is there that's worth paying for? Atlantic?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    5 quid on top of the basic sky package for entertainments plus gets you quite a lot really.

Add in SKY Go and the ability to remote record and it works out a decent package.
    Plus On Demand stuff, always useful when the kids decide to record something and cause Corrie not to record....

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Add in SKY Go and the ability to remote record and it works out a decent package.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The catch is you have to pay a stupid amount for Sky TV, which gets you hardly anything not on FTA - only the option to pay even more to watch sport/movies.

Their ADSL was just fine for us when we had a similar deal, and we're still on it in fact.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    The biggest catch about the 2 years free broadband is it's advertised as being the 'home of the UEFA Champions League' which it is; for the next year. After that it's BTs and to get the best deal for BT sport, you need BT broadband. Clever by Sky, not sure it should be legal though.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    Now FREE with sky!

Yippee! I miss all those warbling noises - At least you knew something was happening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X