• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why not death by firing squad?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    read about it? It was you wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    How do you know?
    From the circumstances of so much violent crime in the news.

Domestic crimes where nobody else is in the house. Young men stabbing each on crowded streets, stations or shopping malls with dozens of witnesses and CCTV cameras. Daftest I saw was that soldier who blew up his wife with a hand grenade. Let's see, who has access to hand grenades? That's a hard one!. If most murderers gave it a moment's thought they would know they had no chance of getting away with it.

The carefully planned murder, with real attention to concealing the crime or devising false alibis, seems to be the exception.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There was a controversy a few years ago when one of the states (Texas I think) couldnt get the lethal drugs anywhere in the ISA, so a Britsh firm supplied the stuff.
    sent it via the Royal Mail iirc

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    it is clear that consequences rarely enter their minds so deterrence is unlikely to be a good reason.
    How do you know?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    What's wrong with dancing the Newgate jig?
    Too little rope and its a slow painful death. Too much and its decapitation.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    What's wrong with dancing the Newgate jig?
    Last edited by Jubber; 2 August 2014, 21:26. Reason: better

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    I suspect that would hurt like feck.
    We should ask RH's hamster...

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Probably quickest, least messy method, if they have to do it, would be a microwave oven.
    I suspect that would hurt like feck.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Probably quickest, least messy method, if they have to do it, would be a microwave oven.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    Yep, Vice did a documentary on it when (from memory)Wisconsin were thinking on bringing it in. It's horrific - I think they came to the conclusion that it's not used to protect the executioners & witnesses from distress, rather than the chap facing the bullet.
    Which is why they used to give one of the squad a blank, so that they all might not have fired the killing shot.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Civilised nations should not be doing it. It isn't as though the numbers involved make any difference to the prison population and, when you look at the details of most violent crime, it is clear that consequences rarely enter their minds so deterrence is unlikely to be a good reason.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    nitrogen asphyxiation FTW!

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    You can botch a death by firing squad.
    I once had the misfortune to watch a clip from the Executions [1995] [DVD]
    And the guy at the end took ages to die.
    Yep, Vice did a documentary on it when (from memory)Wisconsin were thinking on bringing it in. It's horrific - I think they came to the conclusion that it's not used to protect the executioners & witnesses from distress, rather than the chap facing the bullet.
    Last edited by GazCol; 1 August 2014, 14:56.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    You can botch a death by firing squad.
    I once had the misfortune to watch a clip from the Executions [1995] [DVD]
    And the guy at the end took ages to die.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    My understanding was that the chemicals were produced in Europe and the EU put an export ban to the US on them.
    You can get anything on the darknet so they must be available osmewhere
    When the State takes it upon itself to kill someone in cold blood, it must attempt to disguise its barbarity by giving it all the trappings of solemn legal process. Buying dodgy pills illegally from some Chinese website doesn't really fit in with that process. They can't claim the moral high ground if they have to resort to illegal activity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X