• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1,500 ppm threshold breached"

Collapse

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I thought it was joke name so they could have twain drivers.
    According to Wikipedia:

The word TWAIN is not officially an acronym, but it is a backronym. The official website notes that "the word TWAIN is from Kipling's The Ballad of East and West — '...and never the twain shall meet...' — reflecting the difficulty, at the time, of connecting scanners and personal computers. It was up-cased to TWAIN to make it more distinctive. This led people to believe it was an acronym, and then to a contest to come up with an expansion. None was selected, but the entry Technology Without an Interesting Name continues to haunt the standard.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Or scanners. Is it true, or an urban myth, that TWAIN stands for 'Technology Without An Interesting Name'
    I thought it was joke name so they could have twain drivers.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    True as far as I'm aware. I also like the originals of DOS (Disk Operating System), originally QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System)!
    Although most people think of DOS as a PC OS, it was originally a mainframe OS and is now known as vVSE: DOS/360 and successors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Same with VM, most people think of Java VM or VMWare but the original was also a mainframe operating system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_(operating_system)

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Or scanners. Is it true, or an urban myth, that TWAIN stands for 'Technology Without An Interesting Name'
    True as far as I'm aware. I also like the originals of DOS (Disk Operating System), originally QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System)!

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think this was going to be a really interesting article on printers and photocopiers

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Pull Per Minute?

It will come off at that rate!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think this was going to be a really interesting article on printers and photocopiers

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    1500 pages per minute? That's fast

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    started a topic 1,500 ppm threshold breached

1,500 ppm threshold breached

It’s a terrible shame. There was a time when I hoped we would be able to reverse this trend and return our understanding of the consequences of our actions to normal levels,” she continued. “But frankly, it appears to be far too late now
    Full Story.

Working...
X