• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you encourage / discourage family or friends on a career in IT?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    And if they couldn't make the grade as estate agents or used car salesmen then never fear there is always a job as a recruitment 'professional' waiting for them (once they have completed the obligatory 6 months training flogging mobiles at CarPhone warehouse of course)
    "Can you read a CV?"
    "No?, welcome aboard!"

Leave a comment:

• backthemac
    replied
    There are a number of factors which make IT a less attractive place to start a career than it used to be. Outsourcing, onshoring, the rise of cloud based systems for example, the relentless drive by organisations to reduce costs, there are also a lot of systems which work so why change. That is not to say there will not be opportunities especially if you are in the right spot, however, long term I see less security not more which is why I advised my oldest to consider other options.
    Last edited by backthemac; 21 July 2014, 23:26.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I recently came across a report on job prospects for security folks.

It made grim reading because as soon as they'd pointed out that there's a shortage of well qualified folks in the field and mentioning that good salaries are on offer, they moved onto saying they could drag the salaries back down by educating lots of security folks.

You never hear about this incessant need to reduce costs for doctors or solicitors.
    Actually a lot of solicitors don't earn that much.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I was speaking to a bloke on Friday night whose job is to outsource/off shore IT teams - he seemed very proud of himself.

Then I pointed out that in reality all he was doing was shoving UK jobs overseas for a short term monetary gain for a few people whilst adding to the recession of the UK which in a few years would mean that
    a) The company had no knoweldge its IT systems and so would be reliant on people it did not employ to move them forward
    b) It would cost a fortune to gain control of the IT systems.

He looked blank as he could not see beyond his next bonus

He earns quite a lot too

FML
    I've been at clients' where this has happened, gone wrong then suddenly they want some permanent in-house resources. Unfortunately no-one British except contractors have right the skills. So they try and recruit from the EU but keep getting turned down.

Very amusing.......

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Don't forget to feed the goat before you go home.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    You can't buy experience with big companies once you have a CV full you will never be out of work.
    Don't forget to feed the goat before you go home.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    You are clueless with knobs on.

Your assumptions about the rest of us on here are well wide of the mark.
    Instead of calling me clueless provide some evidence or counter arguments? Based on your posts I can see why you would be replaced by a bob.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    So you are saying of all the highly skilled IT jobs in the UK more than 90% are filled by bobs? I would say more like 5%. You can't buy experience with big companies once you have a CV full you will never be out of work.
    You are clueless with knobs on.

Your assumptions about the rest of us on here are well wide of the mark.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I was speaking to a bloke on Friday night whose job is to outsource/off shore IT teams - he seemed very proud of himself.

Then I pointed out that in reality all he was doing was shoving UK jobs overseas for a short term monetary gain for a few people whilst adding to the recession of the UK which in a few years would mean that
    a) The company had no knoweldge its IT systems and so would be reliant on people it did not employ to move them forward
    b) It would cost a fortune to gain control of the IT systems.

He looked blank as he could not see beyond his next bonus

He earns quite a lot too

FML

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I have no doubt Unix will be 'bobbed' at some point. And it'll happen because he won't see it coming, because he'll be too busy patting himself on the back telling himself how amazing he is.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    You are lucky not clever.

Its got nothing to do with how high or low your skills are.

You are living in a war zone, are lucky enough to have not been shot or had any of your friends shot, and are taking the mickey out of those who have seen whole towns bombed. Its not funny.
    So you are saying of all the highly skilled IT jobs in the UK more than 90% are filled by bobs? I would say more like 5%. You can't buy experience with big companies once you have a CV full you will never be out of work.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    I have never been replaced by a bob neither has any of my friends, I have been contracting nearly 10 years. Im not saying it doesn't happen to lower skilled IT workers it clearly does.
    You are lucky not clever.

Its got nothing to do with how high or low your skills are.

You are living in a war zone, are lucky enough to have not been shot or had any of your friends shot, and are taking the mickey out of those who have seen whole towns bombed. Its not funny.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Are we talking call centres here? I have seen the odd bob here and there, maybe its a London thing.
    Unix you are clueless

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    That's put a rather good image in my mind.

I shall savour it when he next posts some drivel which demonstrates his naïvety,
    I have never been replaced by a bob neither has any of my friends, I have been contracting nearly 10 years. Im not saying it doesn't happen to lower skilled IT workers it clearly does.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Feed not the troll; rather let it fester under its favourite bridge quietly interferring with its goat.
    That's put a rather good image in my mind.

I shall savour it when he next posts some drivel which demonstrates his naïvety,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X