• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How long will rofl harris get?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Did you bother reading the report? He didn't "briefly touch a lady's chest" - he shoved his hand down her top and grabbed her breast. If somebody shoved their hand down your trousers and grabbed your balls, would you consider that to be "briefly touching a gentleman's lower abdomen"?
    yep.Happened to me once in town. He didnt get a tip

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Yeah, it is.
    WMUNS

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It's still not too late to stop making an idiot of yourself, matey.
    Yeah, it is.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Did you bother reading the post I was replying to?

He did not provide a link to the report and he said "briefly cupping". I responded to the version of events described.

Even in the scenario you present I wouldn't suggest my assailant should be in prison though.
    It's still not too late to stop making an idiot of yourself, matey.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    She is hoping for more victims to have suffered horrible abuse, merely so that Rolf can be punished for it? Ugh.
    She knows there are similar victims out there and wants them to come forward so Harris is never let out of prison. If you bother to read the judge's summing up, which Nick kindly linked to, and the media reports the women have suffered their entire lives from the effects of the abuse Harris inflicted.

The worse thing I heard yesterday was from a prison officer who censured the letters of such offenders . She said whole families were often in denial and so when the guy was let out their families would let the paedo near their children. So Harris dying in prison is fair because some people have to be protected from themselves. Remember he shows no remorse.

As for anyone who thinks briefly touching a lady's chest merits nearly a year IN PRISON, what planet are you on? You really think that's the best use of prison space? When you consider the severity of crimes from which guilty defendants routinely get a fine or less - theft, violence, etc - this is plainly ludicrous.
    Having been a witness more than once. In one case where a male friend was the victim of a unprovoked physical attack the police told me the perpetrator had attacked a couple of people before in exactly the same way but the CPS refused to prosecute because of the perpetrator's age. We asked if it was common and was told it was.

However this time the perpetrator made the mistake of doing his attack in front of 4 witnesses all of whom had no criminal convictions and had not been in trouble with the police.

If the CPS doesn't take alleged offences further then they aren't crimes. However the police know who has done similar things before.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

He did not provide a link to the report and he said "briefly cupping". I responded to the version of events described.

Even in the scenario you present I wouldn't suggest my assailant should be in prison though.
    Well, if you're too lazy to read the thread, I'm too lazy to closely analyse any contextual clues that would let me determine which parts you could be bothered to read.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Did you bother reading the report? He didn't "briefly touch a lady's chest" - he shoved his hand down her top and grabbed her breast. If somebody shoved their hand down your trousers and grabbed your balls, would you consider that to be "briefly touching a gentleman's lower abdomen"?

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Does not seem long. Item in local news today, a taxi driver got 9 months for briefly cupping an adult female passenger's knocker.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    As for anyone who thinks briefly touching a lady's chest merits nearly a year IN PRISON, what planet are you on? You really think that's the best use of prison space? When you consider the severity of crimes from which guilty defendants routinely get a fine or less - theft, violence, etc - this is plainly ludicrous.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

She is hoping for more victims to have suffered horrible abuse, merely so that Rolf can be punished for it? Ugh.

This is actually a valid viewpoint but it mixes up two disctinct problems conjoined by a common factor - the punishment framework.

Yes, there is a lot wrong with the justice and penal system in this country including its operation, governance, fairness to all concerned and consistency to point out a few of its shortcomings.

Yes, there is something still very medieval about our society when some think that type of behaviour is acceptable and carry out impulsive actions regardless of the consequences to their victims or the consequences to their reputation, livelihood and liberty.

Both should be addressed but they are entirely separate issues.

The woman D000hg quotes needs some serious help too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Funny you won't believe victims of historic abuse but you believe some guy rose from the dead 2000 years ago. . Typical religious moron.
    1/10. And that's being generous. This is a serious discussion about a serious subject, butt out or contribute.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you reported it as an assault it would be punished. An intimate, relatively non-threatening environment like a pub or club probably would be dealt with sensibly, although any unwanted, uninvited sexual contact is not 'OK' and that message needs to be loud and clear. A loud "Get your hands off me, creep" would probably be a more appropriate response than reporting to the police.

Having your bum pinched (male of female) in a pub or club is a bit different to being groped at 4am when you're on your own paying the taxi driver. Imagine the late night garage attendant, who is bigger and stronger than you grabbing your balls as you go to pay for your petrol. Just you and him in the shop. Would you laugh that one off?
    Fair point. I'd be shaken but would hardly consider it a criminal offence. I might report it to the company but nothing more in that scenario. I felt more violated when our cleaner, who we invited into our house, was caught rifling through our things looking for money to steal... But when we did report that to the police, with video evidence, and the lady confessed, nothing happened to her at all.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BBC
    "Rolf Harris - icon to inmate. Victims vindicated. Hopefully when he comes out there will be more victims waiting to send him right back," Ms Johnston tweeted.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Most people aren't stupid. I doubt there's a woman alive who hasn't had her arse touched at some point, but very few would even think about reporting it. Probably the same for blokes too. But grabbing someone's boob when they're paying you isn't 'misreading a situation', it's completely inappropriate and I imagine very frightening for the victim who is immediately wondering 'rapist'. Women don't just need to feel safe in licenced taxis, women (and men) need to feel safe everywhere.
    +1000 for most of your post. But was it Einstein who said there are only 2 infinite things. The universe and human stupidity. And he is not sure about the universe.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Not laughing anything off. I don't excuse any sort of abuse I've seen the effect of it on someone I know. But there is a line between inappropriate behaviour after someone has misread a situation and a full on sexual preditor. The Taxi case looks at bit harsh at first glance when you consider those who abuse thier own children can be out in 18months.
    Most people aren't stupid. I doubt there's a woman alive who hasn't had her arse touched at some point, but very few would even think about reporting it. Probably the same for blokes too. But grabbing someone's boob when they're paying you isn't 'misreading a situation', it's completely inappropriate and I imagine very frightening for the victim who is immediately wondering 'rapist'. Women don't just need to feel safe in licenced taxis, women (and men) need to feel safe everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Those who want the details can read the judge's sentencing remarks here (PDF): http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-conte...-v-harris1.pdf
    Oops - they left 'C's name in there.
    They've removed the name-dropping version and replaced it with a properly redacted one now - link edited accordingly

Leave a comment:

Working...
X