• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Covid-19 rescue deal for Self employed."

Collapse

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Now magic Dave Chaplin is saying an easy way to hand out free money to contractors is to get them to do CEST and pay out to anyone with an inside determination.

I'd love to know (and have asked) what contract these out of work contractors are assessing?

The bloke is becoming a liability.

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: #ir35 #offpayrolltax #stoptheoffpayrolltax | 126 comments
    Yeah I saw that. He has been banging on about how crap CEST for months!!!!

What everyone needs right now is sensible not stupid comments. He has gone down in my estimations after saying that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    becoming????
    GPWM

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Now magic Dave Chaplin is saying an easy way to hand out free money to contractors is to get them to do CEST and pay out to anyone with an inside determination.

I'd love to know (and have asked) what contract these out of work contractors are assessing?

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: #ir35 #offpayrolltax #stoptheoffpayrolltax | 126 comments
    becoming????

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DSF70
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    But probably capped at the same amount as the employee deal I would have thought, so you're looking at £30k/year max. As said above though, better than a kick in the teeth.

I've never felt more relieved to have put aside a hefty warchest, although I never imagined I'd be relying on it for something like this.
    I’d opted against putting money into a pension in case of needing money due to IR35 and contracts drying up (part right!), but yep, looks like it’s gonna be used for this.

I’m on 12 weeks isolation due to member of household being vulnerable.

Leave a comment:

• Beany
    replied
    Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
    I tried to explain the Umbrella Company situation to my dear old Mother a few months back.

She said 'So you are employing somebody to be your employer' ... and toddled off to the bar.

I had no come back. When you step back from it all ... it's madness.
    #accurate!

Leave a comment:

• Beany
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you are employed by your umbrella. Easy.
    Hmm yes but according to the person I spoke to yesterday the only thing I'm entitled to is SSP if I get sick. They won't advise me with regards to any other financial assistance I may be entitled to. I wasn't actually expecting them to be financially responsible for me but a little guidance might have been nice.

The only thing they said was check the gov.uk website.

Leave a comment:

• mogga71
    replied
    I tried to explain the Umbrella Company situation to my dear old Mother a few months back.

She said 'So you are employing somebody to be your employer' ... and toddled off to the bar.

I had no come back. When you step back from it all ... it's madness.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Beany View Post
    Thank you for replying.

I contract through an umbrella so they do all my 'deducting' for me. So basically what I'm paid by the company is all 'earnings'. The umbrella just perform the PAYE bit and I get what's left.

When this is all over and we're 'out the other side' I think there could be a new industry striking up in disaster contingency 'cos the sure haven't got much at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• Beany
    replied
    Nope. We are running round in circles. People are just arguing what they need to be to claim and forgetting the reality of the situation and we haven't come to a consensus yet. It will also vary from person to person depending on how much you pay yourself and what contracts you've written up with the co. Etc....
    Thank you for replying.

I contract through an umbrella so they do all my 'deducting' for me. So basically what I'm paid by the company is all 'earnings'. The umbrella just perform the PAYE bit and I get what's left.

When this is all over and we're 'out the other side' I think there could be a new industry striking up in disaster contingency 'cos the sure haven't got much at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Beany View Post
    I'm thoroughly confused by all of this (I'm sure I'm not alone!)

As someone who works as a contractor in the public sector but inside IR35, what am I classed as for the purposes of getting financial assistance should I need it? Employed? Self-Employed? or something entirely different? It seems to me inside IR35 folk are neither one thing or another.

My umbrella company have confirmed that I am entitled to SSP should I fall ill but that's as far as they're liability goes.

Can anyone help please?
    Nope. We are running round in circles. People are just arguing what they need to be to claim and forgetting the reality of the situation and we haven't come to a consensus yet. It will also vary from person to person depending on how much you pay yourself and what contracts you've written up with the co. Etc....

Leave a comment:

• Beany
    replied
    I'm thoroughly confused by all of this (I'm sure I'm not alone!)

As someone who works as a contractor in the public sector but inside IR35, what am I classed as for the purposes of getting financial assistance should I need it? Employed? Self-Employed? or something entirely different? It seems to me inside IR35 folk are neither one thing or another.

My umbrella company have confirmed that I am entitled to SSP should I fall ill but that's as far as they're liability goes.

Can anyone help please?

Leave a comment:

• CompoundOverload
    replied
    I've not really been following this too closely, so please correct me where I'm wrong!

Surely those PSC's with retained profits should not be looking for a handout from the Govt? I thought the whole point of contractors / business owners was that this is the risk you took and if out of work you use your war chest to cover?

I can understand those umbrellas, PAYE contractors asking as they are paying their full NICs etc.

If PSC's start getting handouts, does this not weaken the IR35 argument that the Govt are applying the same handouts to those who are permanent / PAYE contractors?

If the Govt do not provide this to PSC's then this is an argument that we are completely different and not treated the same, as they have been spouting.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
    Less than a grand a month - I wish! MrsG spends £700 on full livery for her nag of a horse
    That falls under all bills being frozen. As normal commerce is effectively on hold then all normal behaviour should also be on hold including requesting payment for services. They get paid by asking the government for a handout if they need one, until normality resumes and the debt issue is then addressed, somehow.

Been watching a bit of the live parliament stuff while they covered the self-employed assistance issue and it appears they're trying to devise a new system to cover all scenarios, and the issue with self-employed is that there are many scenarios. e.g. one can be self-employed while also earning money via PAYE, i.e. multiple sources of income.

Typically the government are looking at it in too much detail and will come up with something that only helps the majority.

The lib dem leader made a good point about seeing as self-employed use self-assessment then why can't the government claw back any undeserving handouts if the next self-assessment shows they didn't need it. i.e. pay out now while many are struggling for cash and worry about the debt when they worry about all the other debt they're racking up during these unprecedented times.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Tea for the workers first. Priorities my boy, priorities.
    Both my bosses are taking a nap so I have a little respite for now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X