• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Corona Virus Contingency"

Collapse

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    The 'proof' is the government shut the economy down so no recruiting going on.
    Dream on

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by DSF70 View Post
    Reply from Accountant - pretty much what I expected - my contract finishes next week due to blanket getting rid of contractors.

“We do think that HMRC will expect proof of being unable to work due to COVID-19, and this may be difficult to prove if you were already out of a contract.

The main thing is we can continue to process this for you as usual as your company has profits to support this.”
    The 'proof' is the government shut the economy down so no recruiting going on.

Leave a comment:

• DSF70
    replied
    Reply from Accountant - pretty much what I expected - my contract finishes next week due to blanket getting rid of contractors.

“ At the moment we are uncertain as to whether you will qualify for the salary grant of 80% - as soon as we know the finer detail from the emergency legislation we will keep you updated. We do think that HMRC will expect proof of being unable to work due to COVID-19, and this may be difficult to prove if you were already out of a contract.

The main thing is we can continue to process this for you as usual as your company has profits to support this.”

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Why would the umbrella have to decide?

Its like a "normal" workers employee telling them tough tulip can't be bothered....
    Because the umbrella needs to enact and police a furlough. Sounds unlikely to me, but it might be possible. In contrast, that is pretty easy for a regular employee whose employer can restrict access.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I can't do it.. I'm not an employee.

Now get that headset on, the calls are queuing up.
    Employee of you're own limited though?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    NLUK - you're on the bench yeh? I've got an idea if they let ltd company employees do this.

Claim and get the 80% of your "normal" salary? You can thank me later.

Of course, the low salary high dividends idea causes a problem maybe.
    I can't do it.. I'm not an employee.

Now get that headset on, the calls are queuing up.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    NLUK - you're on the bench yeh? I've got an idea if they let ltd company employees do this.

Claim and get the 80% of your "normal" salary? You can thank me later.

Of course, the low salary high dividends idea causes a problem maybe.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    "Surely" because what? It came into your head?

Yes, you're an employee of an umbrella if you're an umbrella employee. Unless there are specific restrictions on that, which I doubt, then it presumably will apply to those people, in principle, but whether specific umbrellas allow it or can be bothered is another matter (I guess they might if it also allows ongoing umbrella fees).
    Why would the umbrella have to decide?

Its like a "normal" workers employee telling them tough tulip can't be bothered....

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Pring View Post
    I thought all the grants were tied to business rates? Unless you have dedicated office space I'm not sure you're eligible for anything anyway.
    Anyone remember the Business Entity Tests a few years ago... when having business premises of your own was worth however many points? I'm suddenly rather glad that that MyCo has been renting a tiny, very cheap, SBRR-eligible office since then... (edit: not purely for B.E.T. purposes of course - a commercial decision based on MyCo's needs - before anyone pipes up ;-) )
    Last edited by matzie; 23 March 2020, 23:31.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Even if via a ltd company or umbrella surely you're an employee of "some company".

Eligible for the 80% grant?

Notice its max of £2500 a month though. NLUK will be ok.....

Luckily, signed new extension for 6 months today!!!! WFH for foreseeable future...
    "Surely" because what? It came into your head?

Yes, you're an employee of an umbrella if you're an umbrella employee. Unless there are specific restrictions on that, which I doubt, then it presumably will apply to those people, in principle, but whether specific umbrellas allow it or can be bothered is another matter (I guess they might if it also allows ongoing umbrella fees).

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Even if via a ltd company or umbrella surely you're an employee of "some company".

Luckily, signed new extension for 6 months today!!!! WFH for foreseeable future...
    Nice one sir

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I'd imagine the future of that debt book will become a political manifesto point in its own right and be on the agenda for years...

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    No, but why would you bother? It isn't free money. It's simply deferred and becomes due later.
    Why bother? The chancellor didn't do this for the laugh, he's bothered to help businesses with cash flow.

Also we all know what will happen, millions with not be able to repay it and the debt will be forgotten. Mark my words on that one. I'm quite tempted to apply for the maximum business loan on that basis tbh. If I'm wrong, just pay it back, if not... I wont be kicking myself for not filling my boots.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by biergarten View Post
    the VAT thing, being deferred until the end of June. Can you claim it back if you have already made the payment? 7th of March was the last day, and next one is precisely end of June...
    No, but why would you bother? It isn't free money. It's simply deferred and becomes due later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X