• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clarification about VAT exclusion in the contract rate"

Collapse

• sireesh
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If you are VAT registered, then you need to add VAT to the invoice.

Fees (note the capitalisation) = agreed fees for the Consultancy Services + expenses or disbursements + VAT

So take your rate, add any expenses or disbursements authorised by the client, and add VAT. Bad wording to use Fees and fees in the same context, but that's what I'd invoice for, assuming you are VAT registered or have a VAT registration pending. If you don't then the whole thing is a moot point.
    Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned the use of fees and Fees is very confusing.
    The thing which made me worry was that the contract had my actual rate listed as

"Consultancy Fees" : £My_Daily_Rate

Also, in the contract there is no mention of what the agreed fees is as mentioned in the definition of Fees
    I will raise the invoice with Daily rate + VAT and see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• sireesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Yup it's still done. Just be careful as it applies to the first year of VAT registration, not a whole year from the date of flat rate registration.
    I did opt for Flat Rate Scheme and got the VAT number last Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Including the additional 1% discount for the first year (if this is still done). Every little and all that...
    Yup it's still done. Just be careful as it applies to the first year of VAT registration, not a whole year from the date of flat rate registration.

Leave a comment:

• sireesh
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    WSS
    I did register for the Flat Rate scheme and got my company's VAT number last Friday.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Investigate the Flat Rate Scheme too, and you could gain an extra couple of grand per year.
    Including the additional 1% discount for the first year (if this is still done). Every little and all that...

Leave a comment:

• sireesh
    replied

Fees (note the capitalisation) = agreed fees for the Consultancy Services + expenses or disbursements + VAT

So take your rate, add any expenses or disbursements authorised by the client, and add VAT. Bad wording to use Fees and fees in the same context, but that's what I'd invoice for, assuming you are VAT registered or have a VAT registration pending. If you don't then the whole thing is a moot point.
    Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned the use of fees and Fees is very confusing.
    The thing which made me worry is that the contract had my actual rate listed as

"Consultancy Fees" : £My_Daily_Rate

Also, in the contract there is no mention of what the agreed fees is, which is mentioned in the definition of Fees
    I will raise the invoice with Daily rate + VAT and see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Investigate the Flat Rate Scheme too, and you could gain an extra couple of grand per year.
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Excuse the newbie but why?

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    If not registered for VAT, do not register (subject to advice from contractor) until threshold is reached.
    When:

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

If not registered for VAT, do not register (subject to advice from contractor) until threshold is reached.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you understand so little about your chosen career get yourself an accountant before you get yourself in some serious trouble.

If you are a director of an LTD you have a legal responsibility to get this right and ignorance is not a defence.

Also start reading the guides hard. There is a hell of a lot more I am sure you are not aware of.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 July 2014, 08:50.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied

Small but important point: any disbursements should be added after the VAT, so it's (fees + expenses) + VAT + disbursements.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by sireesh View Post
    Being a newbie to contracting I wasn't aware of the VAT and other taxation.

Could someone please clarify if this does indicate the inclusion of VAT in my consultancy fees?

“Consultancy Fees” : means the fees payable to the Consultancy for the provision of the Consultancy Services as set out in the Schedule. For the avoidance of doubt, the Consultancy Fees include the agreed fees for the Consultancy Services, any expenses or disbursements authorised by the Client and VAT charged at the applicable rate; and

Leave a comment:

• Clarification about VAT exclusion in the contract rate

Hi,
    I've signed my first contract last month.
    Being a newbie to contracting I wasn't aware of the VAT and other taxation.
    I should have paid more attention in reading the contract.

Today, while trying to raise an invoice, I realised that I need to include VAT in the bill.
    I just had a look at my contract. To my surprise it seemed to include the VAT in my rate.
    Below is the snippet from my contract giving the definitions. Could someone please clarify if this does indicate the inclusion
    of VAT in my consultancy fees?

“Consultancy Fees” : means the fees payable to the Consultancy for the provision of the Consultancy Services as set out in the Schedule. For the avoidance of doubt, the Consultancy Fees include the agreed fees for the Consultancy Services, any expenses or disbursements authorised by the Client and VAT charged at the applicable rate; and

Thanks,
    Sireesh

Working...
X