• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Expenses question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses question"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    What about flat rate VAT? Do Umbrellas utilise this?
    No, the threshold is about £150k so it would be very unlikely unless the brolly was really tiny

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Tax avoidance schemes may operate in this way, umbrella companies do not
    What about flat rate VAT? Do Umbrellas utilise this?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    This,
    Umbrellas will manipulate your pay slip by adding in things like "Holiday Pay / Commission" to your Basic Pay so you pay the lowest income tax and NI. This allows them cream off the rest. And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
    No. Absolutely not. Tax avoidance schemes may operate in this way, umbrella companies do not

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    So when you said that umbrella companies keep a cut of the VAT, you meant that dodgy offshore umbrella companies keep a cut of the VAT?

This is hardly indicative of the umbrella industry.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    This,
    Umbrellas will manipulate your pay slip by adding in things like "Holiday Pay / Commission" to your Basic Pay so you pay the lowest income tax and NI. This allows them cream off the rest. And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
    An employee of the umbrella is not entitled to claim VAT so "And they keep a cut of the VAT too!" is as wrong as it is meaningless!

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How do umbrellas keep a cut of the VAT?

They invoice the agency including VAT, they pay the VAT over to HMRC, surely?

The dodgy "Off Shore" umbrella companies in the Isle of Man dont

http://www.offshoreumbrellacompanies.com/
    Last edited by CloudWalker; 26 June 2014, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by sophia57 View Post
    I'm with Parasol and I'm unsure of what their policies are on accommodation in London.
    Why don't you ask them?

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Brollys are ok if you don't want the hassle of running a company.
    But If you do run your own company then you still need to pay an accountant company minimum £95 per month to do most of the stuff for you. That is unless you know what your doing and can balance the books yourself!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
    How do umbrellas keep a cut of the VAT?

They invoice the agency including VAT, they pay the VAT over to HMRC, surely?

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    This,
    I really really need to leave the umbrella and start a Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Very true but I hope people see Umbrellas as a short term solution so much more likely to apply than a LTD.
    This,
    Last edited by CloudWalker; 26 June 2014, 15:27.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    I may have totally misunderstood you here but are you saying that you should be able to claim £105 per night x 4 nights x 4 weeks which is £1680.00 even if you have only spent £700??
    No, you only get back what you paid (you need to present the receipt). So if you found accommodation for £40 per night you get £40 per night expenses. If you go over the limit you have to fork out for the difference yourself.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Newbie question - don't knock them, either answer them helpfully or move onto the next thread. We were all starters at one point...

Contras being a newbie basher? LOL I have heard it all. Contreras is one of our seasoned and well respected poster. He is (annoying) polite to any poster how ever stupid the question is (but I am working on him so hopefully will change soon ) and always offers correct and detailed advice. He's kind of completely the opposite of me really.

But it's like anywhere is life. You ask stupid/uniformed/lazy questions you cannot expect people to be nice all the time.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 June 2014, 09:12.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    Originally posted by sophia57 View Post
    Hi Scotchpie,

If you don't mind me asking, what umbrella are you with? I'm with Parasol and I'm unsure of what their policies are on accommodation in London.
    I'm with Giant. According to their expenses policy:

"You may claim for the actual receipted cost of the accommodation per night up to a maximum of:
    Accommodation in London (within M25) £106.00
    Accommodation elsewhere (outside M25) £90.00"

Leave a comment:

• dty
    replied
    I may have totally misunderstood you here but are you saying that you should be able to claim £105 per night x 4 nights x 4 weeks which is £1680.00 even if you have only spent £700??
    I read it as there is a cap of £105 a night, so £700 for the month would be allowed as it's under the cap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X