• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract assessment failed"

Collapse

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I have just had a potential client agree to all the contract changes, but I'm pulling out anyway because it appears that they may be bent.
    Now thats a statement that needs further qualification!
    Last edited by kal; 12 June 2014, 12:21.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I have just had a potential client agree to all the contract changes, but I'm pulling out anyway because it appears that they may be bent.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I think that it becomes easier to be a real contractor as you get more experienced and comfortable in the life of a contractor. To start off with I think we all acted a bit like employees but provided you have the right attitude and act like a contractor the clients soon start to respect you and treat you like one.
    Indeed, but I do have to add that many people continue to act like permies for years. I would argue there are very few proper contractors compared to people that don't and will probably never get it.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I've known a few agents that will change terms upon request, but they tend to be the smaller ones rather than the larger ones like Hays. You could even try presenting your own terms, and using the PCG template. I've seen that work once or twice too!

Of course the same rules apply though - it's only helpful if it's realistic, so even the PCG one won't protect you if it's not true.
    I think that it becomes easier to be a real contractor as you get more experienced and comfortable in the life of a contractor. To start off with I think we all acted a bit like employees but provided you have the right attitude and act like a contractor the clients soon start to respect you and treat you like one.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 11 June 2014, 15:35.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    They have not refused yet! I was just wondering if anybody had experienced that before. I won't be accepting a contract within ir35 as I'd rather take the time off and look for another one.
    I've known a few agents that will change terms upon request, but they tend to be the smaller ones rather than the larger ones like Hays. You could even try presenting your own terms, and using the PCG template. I've seen that work once or twice too!

Of course the same rules apply though - it's only helpful if it's realistic, so even the PCG one won't protect you if it's not true.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Then I'd suggest, if you really want the role, you consider accepting but emailing the agent with all the things you disagree with about the contract, but state that you're signing it purely because they are refusing to change the terms to match the reality of the contract conditions. Then, when you get on site, find a nice senior person to sign a confirmation of arrangements letter that backs up the facts.

Or, just trade as inside IR35 for the contract. It'll mean paying more tax but it's not the end of the world. Depends on how long it's for, what your alternatives are, and how much you stand to lose. You could always pay a larger salary as a way to hedge your bets, and if you're ever then assessed as being Inside your liability will be less.
    They have not refused yet! I was just wondering if anybody had experienced that before. I won't be accepting a contract within ir35 as I'd rather take the time off and look for another one.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I haven't started the contract yet, so obviously difficult to say right now. Obviously should there be anything dodgy it will be addressed.
    Then I'd suggest, if you really want the role, you consider accepting but emailing the agent with all the things you disagree with about the contract, but state that you're signing it purely because they are refusing to change the terms to match the reality of the contract conditions. Then, when you get on site, find a nice senior person to sign a confirmation of arrangements letter that backs up the facts.

Or, just trade as inside IR35 for the contract. It'll mean paying more tax but it's not the end of the world. Depends on how long it's for, what your alternatives are, and how much you stand to lose. You could always pay a larger salary as a way to hedge your bets, and if you're ever then assessed as being Inside your liability will be less.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Just the written terms, or the working conditions too? Does the contract match what happens in practice? How much do you know about what you'll be doing day to day, and the level of control you'll have etc?

It's very, very common for written contracts to fail for IR35 purposes as agencies cover their backsides so much they make the "IR35 clauses" useless - such as "you can substitute but only with our written consent and we have to interview them first".
    I haven't started the contract yet, so obviously difficult to say right now. Obviously should there be anything dodgy it will be addressed.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Failed why exactly?
    - Sub clause is too restrictive (Clare already pointed out why)
    - Clause which should not apply to a ltd company
    - some other wording which is associated with employment

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Just the written terms, or the working conditions too? Does the contract match what happens in practice? How much do you know about what you'll be doing day to day, and the level of control you'll have etc?

It's very, very common for written contracts to fail for IR35 purposes as agencies cover their backsides so much they make the "IR35 clauses" useless - such as "you can substitute but only with our written consent and we have to interview them first".

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Just had a contract assessment done and it failed for ir35. First time I have had that happen and have asked agent to get the clauses changed. Just wondering if anybody has had to pull out of a gig because of that in the past?
    Failed why exactly?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    started a topic Contract assessment failed

Contract assessment failed

Just had a contract assessment done and it failed for ir35. First time I have had that happen and have asked agent to get the clauses changed. Just wondering if anybody has had to pull out of a gig because of that in the past?

Working...
X