• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Struggling to get to an interview..."

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post
    For legacy projects yes (which, incidentally, is what I got my Java contract for), but for greenfield projects absolutely no chance.
    That's a good point. Any chimp could do my current gig so long as they passed the test which is one of the harder ones i've done.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalUser
    replied
    Originally posted by misterpingu View Post
    I hire a lot of devs. Unless I knew you or someone I trusted knew you - you wouldn't get a second look - 4 years experience for a java dev isn't enough - it took me 3 years to get my training wheels properly off and 7 before I could run. Sure, there are people who can smash it in 6 months - 1 year and they stand out so much that they never need look for work, it finds them.

Keep plugging away whilst doing your permie job and you may get a contract, but I'd have an eye on the longer term, you are more likely to start hearing things back once you've got 5-6 years.

EDIT - actually , looks like you left your permie job? Didn't read the complete thread....
    I got my first contract as a Java developer after 4 years of being perm. Two years on, I've moved into team lead/coaching type roles - the point I'm making is that what you're trying to do is entirely possible, and there is growth if you're smart and continue to develop personally, but I also was lucky that an agent (who is also quite young) took a punt to put my CV forward as no one else had got in touch up to that point.

Do I think I was good enough to compete in the contract market? For legacy projects yes (which, incidentally, is what I got my Java contract for), but for greenfield projects absolutely no chance.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    So does the OP need more certs? Which ones?
    Keys 101 - radiators
    Roman history 101 - Live Entertainment for the masses
    Food condiments 102 - testing Chutney

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not even close if we are talking about contracting. You are missing a fundamental understanding of a client/supplier relationship . What the client wants, why he wants it, what you have to be to deliver it and so on. If you understood that better you would know, for example, that a certification just won't cut it.

That lack of understanding is probably why you can't get the interviews because you are just not delivering what the customer needs.
    So does the OP need more certs? Which ones?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    I would not be asking if I knew 100%. I'm still trying different things
    Not even close if we are talking about contracting. You are missing a fundamental understanding of a client/supplier relationship . What the client wants, why he wants it, what you have to be to deliver it and so on. If you understood that better you would know, for example, that a certification just won't cut it.

That lack of understanding is probably why you can't get the interviews because you are just not delivering what the customer needs.

Leave a comment:

• misterpingu
    replied
    I hire a lot of devs. Unless I knew you or someone I trusted knew you - you wouldn't get a second look - 4 years experience for a java dev isn't enough - it took me 3 years to get my training wheels properly off and 7 before I could run. Sure, there are people who can smash it in 6 months - 1 year and they stand out so much that they never need look for work, it finds them.

Keep plugging away whilst doing your permie job and you may get a contract, but I'd have an eye on the longer term, you are more likely to start hearing things back once you've got 5-6 years.

EDIT - actually , looks like you left your permie job? Didn't read the complete thread....
    Last edited by misterpingu; 15 May 2014, 12:21.

Leave a comment:

• rashm2k
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You really don't understand what you are doing do you?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Honestly, I wish you all the best luck possible but you do not seem to have a grasp of how this works.
    He's going to keep going until someone says "Yes, certification will lead to numerous interviews and untold riches."

I've never been asked to show any certificates I have in interviews and, when interviewing, have never asked to see any. Hands-on experience is the only driver when trying to get someone in to hit the ground running.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I expected as much - certifications aren't really worth it. ^^^ Perhaps though they will at least get me to the interview stage, like they did with the architect!

I do find the java certification is good - you tend to really solidify your knowledge (emphasises knowledge you didn't know you knew), and learn areas of the language you haven't touched at all.

The real question is would it sway a client given I have 3-4 years dev in Java.
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Doubt it tbh

Your lack of certifications is not the issue. It is either your lack of experience or your cv does not do a good enough job of showcasing you.
    Honestly, I wish you all the best luck possible but you do not seem to have a grasp of how this works.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I expected as much - certifications aren't really worth it. ^^^ Perhaps though they will at least get me to the interview stage, like they did with the architect!

I do find the java certification is good - you tend to really solidify your knowledge (emphasises knowledge you didn't know you knew), and learn areas of the language you haven't touched at all.

You really don't understand what you are doing do you?

Leave a comment:

• rashm2k
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you are identical in every other way to another candidate, then it might sway some people your way.

All a certification shows is that you can pass the exams - for example, I have an Oracle certification, but a client would have to be absolutely bonkers to offer me work in that area because I have no experience other than doing the training and passing the exam.
    +1 I once worked with an 'architect' who had every Java Certification going, but couldn't decompile a Java class...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Do you think a java certification would be enough to at least get me to the interview?
    If you are identical in every other way to another candidate, then it might sway some people your way.

All a certification shows is that you can pass the exams - for example, I have an Oracle certification, but a client would have to be absolutely bonkers to offer me work in that area because I have no experience other than doing the training and passing the exam.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Do you think a java certification would be enough to at least get me to the interview?
    Doubt it tbh

Your lack of certifications is not the issue. It is either your lack of experience or your cv does not do a good enough job of showcasing you.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    nope. Paper certificates aren't worth the electrical atoms they nowadays are written on...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X