• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Odd daily rates being offered"

Collapse

• riffpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    They will just hang up.
    Fine by me!

Had a
    HTML Code:
    <del>ars*hole</del>
    junior pimp on the phone yesterday claimed he was from ARK (number withheld of course). Usual low on detail but exciting job description. When we got to the bit where he asked about other interviews and I said it was commercially confidential and none of his business. He goes quiet and says ok I guess that's it ... I started laughing at the junior pimp and said "So you didn't get what you wanted" and he just hung up.

Sometimes it's just satisfying, naughty but satisfying ...

Also why do these guys always sound like they are calling from the ghetto as well? / Never a female as well.
    Heh heh they need this reminder now and again that we hold more cards than they like to think.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Haha, I did get a similar line from a pimp yesterday ' The rate is on the low side but my client is working with the likes of Tesco and Phones4U'... why that would matter to me I have no idea!
    Whenever a pimp tries to sell a low rate on the grounds that the client will "look good on my CV" I'm tempted to say "I've already got X, Y and Z on my CV, so my rate goes up". In fact, if I ever have to deal with a pimp again I'm going to do that. Even if they don't spin the "good on your CV" line.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    [QUOTE=JRCT;1923721]
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Haha, I did get a similar line from a pimp yesterday ' The rate is on the low side but my client is working with the likes of Tesco and Phones4U'... why that would matter to me I have no idea![/QUOTE

Clubcard points
    Aah yes!

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    [QUOTE=kal;1923539]Haha, I did get a similar line from a pimp yesterday ' The rate is on the low side but my client is working with the likes of Tesco and Phones4U'... why that would matter to me I have no idea![/QUOTE

Clubcard points

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Better to be a permie at heart that post this moronic rubbish.
    Well stop it then!

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Also in the next breath is the "this will look good on your CV" followed by the this is multi-billion pound corporation that is going places line of pimp talk.

The contracting equivalent of "You have a nice A*s, I'll be your man baby, I'll look after you"
    Haha, I did get a similar line from a pimp yesterday ' The rate is on the low side but my client is working with the likes of Tesco and Phones4U'... why that would matter to me I have no idea!

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by riffpie View Post
    They probably told him it would be a "long term contract".....
    +1 I had a pimp just yesterday try to sell me a Central London IB role for £300 a day because it was a 'long term' contract and hence most people were happy with the rate... total bollox

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No wonder rates are falling.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Why did you stay, try telling your plumber you are cutting his rate by 15% halfway through the job. Contractors who accept this are permies at heart.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Indeed, my current rate is £XXX.78 it's a tad weird, but not worrying, just the way the budget works.
    Similar here, mine is £XXXX.50 per day due to a percentage increase I negotiated. It started out as a round number though.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Why did you stay, try telling your plumber you are cutting his rate by 15% halfway through the job. Contractors who accept this are permies at heart.
    They probably told him it would be a "long term contract".....

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I end up with an odd rate after ClientCo cut the rate by 15%.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I once negotiated a rate of £x00 pd inclusive of agency margin, and then found an agency that would charge 5%, so ended up with a rate calculated to the nearest penny (rounded up I should add, after the good-for-nothing pimp tried to round it down).

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I end up with an odd rate after ClientCo cut the rate by 15%.
    15%! Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    My current rate is £xxx.42, because I negotiated a nice round figure with the client who then announced they couldn't deal with me direct, and would I mind going through this agency, who take a nominal cut, which resulted in my nice round figure being downed into something awkward.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X