• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Short decent contract or stick with poor long term contract?"

Collapse

• Manz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    My contract was 8 weeks. 2.5 years later and I can't see an escape anytime soon...
    I was in the same situation although last week I was told that they can only keep me until April because they want to make my role permanent and advertise it internally, although they may need to keep me a little longer for the handover period, but if they can't find an internal employee for the role they might advertise it externally and then my manager said I should apply for it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Bollacks. Didn't get it... :-(

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Client. Permie hiring is in progess. Current one leaves 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Ice
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    PCs contract dilemna of the day...

Current contract is poor rate, 60 miles from home. Technology is ok but not my main skill (and its the skill that generally pays less). BUT, its a nice place to work, laid back etc and chances are it will run and run.

On shortlist of 2 for another contract. 2x current rate (still not excellent rate but not bad), 30 miles from home. Main tech so good experience there as well. Know someone whos worked there and apparently its also good place to work. BUT the big but is its only for 8 weeks whilst they try to find a permie. Appreciate it sometimes takes longer but it could just be 8 weeks.

OK, so current gig I dont see myself long term and, in effect, 8 weeks new contract = 16 weeks current gig. Nothing guaranteed of course in current gig and who knows for new one but its a decision to make.

Views?
    Change is healthy and helps you avoid becoming stale and irrelevant in an ever changing world. You're already admitting that your current gig isn't exactly a shining example of contractor heaven so why not risk it and give the new gig a chance? You never know, a whole set of new opportunities may present themselves. Change is inevitable, don't fight it, use it to your advantage.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Yup, I agree with D000hg. It's only 10 weeks, so take that gig, do the full 10 weeks, and only start looking for new gigs at about the 8 week mark. Make some new connections, work on a new project, and that's pretty valuable as well as the money.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You don't need a notice period. Do your bloody job without spending the time looking for something else You have 10 weeks afterwards to find something, remember? So you realistically only need to wait 8 weeks before starting to look anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Although, Im guessing for 10 week gig they aint gonna give me notice period. And it would probably be uncool. Current gid is 1 week and they know the score.
    NEGOTIATE.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    15% is not high for a 10 week gig. We have had discussions where agents have told us 10-12% is about fair and that will before 3, 6 or more months. Give it a shot but you are going to be pressed to get a worthwhile cut out of that. It's all money in your pocket so try something but I wouldn't be rocking the boat at those numbers.
    Yeh true enough.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah for a 10 week gig the agency does the same up-front work as a 10 month one. If it's a decent rate than 15% is still a decent slice so push for 10%.

I say take it either way, that's 5 months at your current gig.
    True enough. And the client has pretty much told the agency that theres no extensions so, like you said, its all they're gonna get for the upfront work.

Rate isnt stupendous. Just worked it out and over the 10 weeks they're only going to make a few thousand £ out of this.

Yep. 10 weeks = 20 weeks of current gig.

Although, Im guessing for 10 week gig they aint gonna give me notice period. And it would probably be uncool. Current gid is 1 week and they know the score.

Potentially, if a cracking 6 monther came along a week later I'd be stuffed whereas where I am now I'm in a position to take it. This new gig is 'ok' rate-wise (still 2x current) but its still £50/day below market and I've had 25% better again in the past.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 27 February 2014, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah for a 10 week gig the agency does the same up-front work as a 10 month one. If it's a decent rate than 15% is still a decent slice so push for 10%.

I say take it either way, that's 5 months at your current gig.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Saw agency rate too on paper on desk. Thibk client did this on purpose to let me see.

15% on top. Bit high. Perhaps some room to add a bit now i know this. Lol.
    15% is not high for a 10 week gig. We have had discussions where agents have told us 10-12% is about fair and that will before 3, 6 or more months. Give it a shot but you are going to be pressed to get a worthwhile cut out of that. It's all money in your pocket so try something but I wouldn't be rocking the boat at those numbers.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Saw agency rate too on paper on desk. Thibk client did this on purpose to let me see.

Oh yes, no chance of extension so get another 5% out of em!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Well. Had interview. Asked outright. Got his calculator and said ok we can afford you for 10 weeks.

Sounds like very much thats it after that. Even said if they hadnt got permie by then they may be told to go one short till they get perm. Its educational institution btw so i guess budgets are always an issue.

10 wks = 20 at current so its 10 wks slack.

Seems decent gig tho. Nice people, decent work etc. Decision if offer comes in.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Maybe. But you've got to be fair there are lots of posts where you get in there first and its followed by your posse minutes later with either the exact same comment or
    "I agree with NLUK"

Not having a go at you - its not you but it is a bit weird sometimes....
    Yep, you nailed it there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X