• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "C++ linux contract?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Another possibility might be to contribute to an open source project. If they accept your code that would be a great reference.

Leave a comment:

• Cpplinuxdeveloper
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you are working and/or living in a city or large town join a networking group (not the BCS) and talk to people you meet at the meetups, talks, demos, tutorials etc. Make it very clear that you are very skilled in your new skill. You will get contracts and job offers from doing that. Though you will get more if you actually give a talk.
    You mean something like this "http://www.meetup.com/Londonjavacommunity/"

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you are working and/or living in a city or large town join a networking group (not the BCS) and talk to people you meet at the meetups, talks, demos, tutorials etc. Make it very clear that you are very skilled in your new skill. You will get contracts and job offers from doing that. Though you will get more if you actually give a talk.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Go permie for a Java dev role for 6-12 months and then you'll be set.
    WHS. No point discussing this any further. If C++ is on the way out and you can't land a Java Contract just jump perm for 12 months, it really is that simple. Either that or get a bit creative with the CV and mention that you used Java in contracts where the exposure may only have been minimal. If you can't blag it that way then the perm route seems to be the only option.

Yeah they are useless, current Java dev role I'm in has just been renewed for the 3rd time. Am direct with this client as when I applied though the agency (who contacted me about the role in the first place) they rejected me out of hand as despite having over 10 years experience in Java I didn't have the (and I quote) 'right kind of companies that the client was looking for on my CV!!', so... I connected with the end client HR recruiter via Linked In and applied direct, one tech test, phone and face to face interview later they offered me the contract (at £50 a day more than the max the agency were offering), am still there 18 months later, I had immense satisfaction in telling the agent the next time I spoke to him
    Winner!

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Most embedded work seems to be C/C++ and Linux on ARM these days

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Then what's the problem? Maybe you need to make your CV look like you're not a CPP-Linux guy who has dabbled in Windows/Java/.NET.

Leave a comment:

• Cpplinuxdeveloper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And gaming.

To the OP: why haven't you already been taking advantage of C++ contracts to get experience with stuff like Java, .NET, etc? Or even C++ Windows development?
    Indeed I have been developing with Java, .NET, C++ Windows desktop applications while in different contracts

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Kanye View Post
    C++ is mainly used in finance now.
    And gaming.

To the OP: why haven't you already been taking advantage of C++ contracts to get experience with stuff like Java, .NET, etc? Or even C++ Windows development?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I contract in C++ but am in finance for seveal years. The annoying thing is that once you are in you rarely need to know anything about it really.

I made it by apply for a perm position in a bank, they normally do not mind training people up. The problem is that it is very competitive to get into. Your chance of getting a banking contract with no banking experience is basically 0.

Leave a comment:

• Kanye
    replied
    C++ is mainly used in finance now.

The good news is that with 9 years you should be able to break in if you are good and can communicate. It's a niche but it's also hard to recruit for.

I would keep pushing that angle as once you are in the door, C++ contracts are some of the best around at the minute.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by Cpplinuxdeveloper View Post
    even for permie roles in java, recruiters don't consider me as mostly over the 9 years I have done C++.
    Yeah they are useless, current Java dev role I'm in has just been renewed for the 3rd time. Am direct with this client as when I applied though the agency (who contacted me about the role in the first place) they rejected me out of hand as despite having over 10 years experience in Java I didn't have the (and I quote) 'right kind of companies that the client was looking for on my CV!!', so... I connected with the end client HR recruiter via Linked In and applied direct, one tech test, phone and face to face interview later they offered me the contract (at £50 a day more than the max the agency were offering), am still there 18 months later, I had immense satisfaction in telling the agent the next time I spoke to him

Leave a comment:

• Cpplinuxdeveloper
    replied
    even for permie roles in java, recruiters don't consider me as mostly over the 9 years I have done C++.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    which field do you see companies investing, and whats the best way to switch to that field?

Leave a comment:

• Cpplinuxdeveloper
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    It's a very tiny niche and in this country I don't see many companies investing in this field and if they do they don't look for contractors.
    which field do you see companies investing, and whats the best way to switch to that field?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Permanent is not an options, I have been asked by recruiters for perm stuff but I am simply not interested even if I am jobless for next 6 months
    Fair enough. In 6 months time you may feel different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X