• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday start of another without contract ...."

Collapse

• redgiant
    replied
    For the OP:

IME most SharePoint projects are rarely done in isolation just by independent contractors so try to get in contact with some SharePoint Consultancies/MS Gold Partners and get on their preferred supplier/associate list to get used on their engagements.
    Last edited by redgiant; 11 February 2014, 20:55. Reason: For the OP

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yep, can't argue with that really.
    NLUK in egg-sucking mode!

Leave a comment:

• infosec
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I'm not debating how good or bad you are, just that companies would prefer people who have been continuously in work rather those who have taken a break and it's not like that doesn't make any sense? Look at EPL players for example, if they don't get into a squad it doesn't mean they are not any good - you can only tell their form when they are playing actual games.

Perhaps having constant work is a sign to companies that you are an in demand contractor and that is what they are after? They might view gaps as your inability to get work rather than the reality of you taking a break.....

its not fair but that's life.
    Companies seem to increasingly want 'corporate robot people'. I come across as 'different' if not unstable I guess....

EPL players can at least drop down to the Championship or lower to get a game, I'm applying for Conference League contracts and getting no reply! ;-p

Time out also recharges the batteries, gives you fresh perspectives, grows you as a person etc etc. I didn't come back expecting to pick up where I left off (£600+pd) but am surprised at the complete lack of interest... (I only got the 6 month contract last year from an old colleague).

My time out was chosen, explained on my CV with multiple websites proving what I did etc.

Yip, used to unfairness in life - thanks for allowing me to get it off my chest... frustrating times ;-)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    For a few years? Are you just annoyed cos I stole your line? Totally agree with travel idea but surely we are talking in months rather than years..... We are running "businesses" are we not and all businesses need to keep in the game or they get left behind.
    Yep, can't argue with that really.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by infosec View Post
    What does that mean exactly?

I get similar expressions of indignation from others, but no real solid reason why I'm not worthy of at least interviewing. I'm the same (self declared) intelligent and personable contractor I've always been ;-) I can imagine people having reservations, but surprised that nobody will even talk to me - I have excellent previous experience and truckloads of initiative and all the other HR buzzwords ;-p (I wasn't sitting on the beach drinking cocktails - it was very adventurous travel with daily life balancing risk assessments ;-).

Maybe not in your case, but in others I clearly hear jealousy playing a part in it. 'Share the pain'..... That sheep got out of the flock, punish him, punish him!! ;-p

I guess there are plenty of people on the market who are better than me.... seeing what happens in the premie market...

Ironically the 6 month contract I had (in 2013) where they were worried about me being 'out of date' used Windows XP. Within a few months most of the team were coming to me for 2nd opinions...

Will live to fight another day....!

I'm not debating how good or bad you are, just that companies would prefer people who have been continuously in work rather those who have taken a break and it's not like that doesn't make any sense? Look at EPL players for example, if they don't get into a squad it doesn't mean they are not any good - you can only tell their form when they are playing actual games.

Perhaps having constant work is a sign to companies that you are an in demand contractor and that is what they are after? They might view gaps as your inability to get work rather than the reality of you taking a break.....

its not fair but that's life.

Leave a comment:

• infosec
    replied
    and all businesses need to keep in the game or they get left behind.
    What does that mean exactly?

I get similar expressions of indignation from others, but no real solid reason why I'm not worthy of at least interviewing. I'm the same (self declared) intelligent and personable contractor I've always been ;-) I can imagine people having reservations, but surprised that nobody will even talk to me - I have excellent previous experience and truckloads of initiative and all the other HR buzzwords ;-p (I wasn't sitting on the beach drinking cocktails - it was very adventurous travel with daily life balancing risk assessments ;-).

Maybe not in your case, but in others I clearly hear jealousy playing a part in it. 'Share the pain'..... That sheep got out of the flock, punish him, punish him!! ;-p

I guess there are plenty of people on the market who are better than me.... seeing what happens in the premie market...

Ironically the 6 month contract I had (in 2013) where they were worried about me being 'out of date' used Windows XP. Within a few months most of the team were coming to me for 2nd opinions...

Will live to fight another day....!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I would have thought the whole idea of contracting was to be able to take time off and travel?
    For a few years? Are you just annoyed cos I stole your line? Totally agree with travel idea but surely we are talking in months rather than years..... We are running "businesses" are we not and all businesses need to keep in the game or they get left behind.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That's the reason for your difficulty then - few years off?! are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Go permie.
    I would have thought the whole idea of contracting was to be able to take time off and travel?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    No, 17 years experience in IT. Server/network/gateway background and then into InfoSec and InfoSec management. Can manage InfoSec for a large enterprise, and have done previously....

+But+ took a few years off and went travelling at the start of the recession ;-)

Had one 6 month long contract since back (at a FTSE 50) but hard to break down the perception that I'm not 'up to date'. Impossible to get past Agency/HR it seems. Confident if I can talk to the actual hiring manager things would be fine.

Also InfoSec jobs have gone mad for CISSP/CISM exams so booked into doing them later this year (even though they hold little value imho).

Looking UK, Europe, Asia, Pacific (have relevant passport), Middle East......
    That's the reason for your difficulty then - few years off?! are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Go permie.

Leave a comment:

• infosec
    replied
    Have you got like one skill?
    No, 17 years experience in IT. Server/network/gateway background and then into InfoSec and InfoSec management. Can manage InfoSec for a large enterprise, and have done previously....

+But+ took a few years off and went travelling at the start of the recession ;-)

Had one 6 month long contract since back (at a FTSE 50) but hard to break down the perception that I'm not 'up to date'. Impossible to get past Agency/HR it seems. Confident if I can talk to the actual hiring manager things would be fine.

Also InfoSec jobs have gone mad for CISSP/CISM exams so booked into doing them later this year (even though they hold little value imho).

Looking UK, Europe, Asia, Pacific (have relevant passport), Middle East......

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Out since the beginning of September.... not an interview or hint of one since....

War chest gone. Onto credit card. {Sigh}

Started looking at Permie roles last week.... With London rent as it is now I'll be paying 50% of cash in hand on just basic survival. {Sigh}
    Have you got like one skill?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Out since the beginning of September.... not an interview or hint of one since....

Started looking at Permie roles last week.... With London rent as it is now I'll be paying 50% of cash in hand on just basic survival. {Sigh}
    Thats not good. Not even one interview?

Do you have a rare skillset or something?

Got to be honest, if I was looking in London (I'm not) confident I could get something pretty soon. As it is, I'm restricted by location.

Leave a comment:

• infosec
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    I just started a contract since Tuesday last. One minute there is no contract then the next the interview is the offer that you and the client agree.

My best advice: investment banking is now for mugs and only brave ones at that. Be prepared to look at opportunities in different industry sectors. Work with different recruitment agents. Keep track of agents in a spreadsheet and keep accurate records of what they do for you. Keep your contacts up to update and cross reference with agents action. Then you will know, which agents waste your waste and those that are genuinely helpful and useful. If you are now on the bench, make the most of your quality time: go to conferences, learn new technology, clean up your house and room; spend precious time with loved lines. Read the pinned items in this forum too!
    excellent advice.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    I am on the bench now since the end of December. What I hate about contracting is the unpredictably of client decisions and circumstances.

It used to be that a 6 month contract actually lasted 6 months. Last year, my naivety taught me a valuable lesson. 6 months ended up as 3.5 months at a certain digital agency running an agile project.

I have always asked interviews in contract (and permanent) how many months work is in the project. I even tightened this question to be specific. "So this is a contract of 6 month, will I actually get 6 months work out of it?", the answer has been yes at the time. [Why would a manager lie unless he is a liar?]

My first 2013 contract was ended for commercial reasons. I liked the digital agency. The pay was a bit lower than usual, but I learned a new skill called Adobe Experience Manager, which proved to vital important for the 3rd contract of 2013.

I was on the bench for 2 months during late Spring, I managed to get a 3 month contract at a bank with the usual promises of extensions. My other "3 month with contract was not extended, because the manager lied, "there were problems with your technical output." The exit feedback from one of the business analysts who was completely overworked on 3 simultaneous projects. She conveniently forgot I was heading over to the USA for a holiday. I did tell her weeks before and reminded her in the same week to go.

I got back from the USA and immediately landed a contract within week, because the client wanted AEM experience as well as Java. Cool! Unfortunately the luck was not on side again. My last contract was stopped early, because actually the higher business was making permanent people redundant and the decision to stop contractors came from the USA executives rather the UK. The manager allowed me graciously work up to Xmas Eve.

In my conclusion, I believe "working contract with extensions" is to be taken with a pinch of salt. You are temporary resource is literally taken as fact nowadays.

The other side of this, is that some contractors fare better than others. I haven't put my finger on the solution of walking from one contract to the next yet. (I managed to do it once last year by impressing in a pair-programming test.)

I just wish that the time on bench was predictable so I could get cheaper holidays, submit papers to conferences and run a training day or two or do something useful. Then there is dealing with recruitment agents ...
    I just started a contract since Tuesday last. One minute there is no contract then the next the interview is the offer that you and the client agree.

My best advice: investment banking is now for mugs and only brave ones at that. Be prepared to look at opportunities in different industry sectors. Work with different recruitment agents. Keep track of agents in a spreadsheet and keep accurate records of what they do for you. Keep your contacts up to update and cross reference with agents action. Then you will know, which agents waste your waste and those that are genuinely helpful and useful. If you are now on the bench, make the most of your quality time: go to conferences, learn new technology, clean up your house and room; spend precious time with loved lines. Read the pinned items in this forum too!
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 5 February 2014, 19:31. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

Working...
X