• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nothing Left to do - New contract"

Collapse

• rurffy
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    I never realised what a under-utilised and expensive resource contractors are!

My workload has all but come to a halt, and in a meeting this morning asked what the pipeline was like.

I have also been extended for another few weeks.
    Money for (doing) nothing!!

And you feckers winge at recruiters!
    When the real work comes - you will be surprised how much you have forgotten.. and even reluctant to do the real work - stalling it to elapse more time.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    But i still dont mind - what ever keeps me busy .
    So you are not really bothered about your IR35 status then?

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Question is.. Is it work that is detailed on your deliverables or is it just anything else they can find unrelated to what you were brought in for?
    But i still dont mind - what ever keeps me busy .

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    ok so i think since i posted this here last week or so - i have had loads of work to do at work.

i guess my manager is active on this forum ha!

I dont even have time to do anything -before i know it - its 5PM yeppi! more like what i want.

So if you are my manager and reading this - Thanks man lol
    Question is.. Is it work that is detailed on your deliverables or is it just anything else they can find unrelated to what you were brought in for?

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    I never realised what a under-utilised and expensive resource contractors are!

My workload has all but come to a halt, and in a meeting this morning asked what the pipeline was like.

I have also been extended for another few weeks.
    Money for (doing) nothing!!

And you feckers winge at recruiters!

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    ok so i think since i posted this here last week or so - i have had loads of work to do at work.

i guess my manager is active on this forum ha!

I dont even have time to do anything -before i know it - its 5PM yeppi! more like what i want.

So if you are my manager and reading this - Thanks man lol

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Exactly. OP has fulfilled his contractual obligation so no one is left in the lurch.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Did NLUK just advise leaving contract before the end date?!
    yes but there is a proviso that all the work you have been brought in to do has been done.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Totally this

Absolutely this. I remember once waiting for some work to start, weeks of creating powerpoints, cleaning up sharepoint etc and it dragged on and on and finally when the work got released I was bordering on useless. Just couldn't nail the work like I like to do. Not a piece of work I was proud of.

IMO if there is really nothing left to do then your work there is done. Look for a new gig, negotiate an exit that suits you with the client and leave. For sanity and your IR35's sake.
    Did NLUK just advise leaving contract before the end date?!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    +1
    Very hard to ramp up from doing nothing. Had lots of contracts like this, which kept getting extended.
    Week or so after an extension, I happily go and see client, explain I am on top of current workload and happy to take on any additional work needed and not fussy what it is as long as I am helping out.
    This has rarely (never)produced anything beyond a few extra bits and has never resulted in the contract finishing.
    As one chap said, ok you only have half a workload but if you go I have to find someone to do that half and every perm says they are maxed out. Plus, keeping someone is a LOT easier than trying to get someone new in, get budget authorised, justify to seniors etc.
    Coping strategy - wfh is obviously brilliant, after asking for extra work my conscience is clear so working hours get a big cut back (9-4 in one gig + played footy 2 lunchtimes a week). Long lunch likewise. Get a break booked a few months ahead (always helps you keep going). I monitor investments etc which helps too, learn some stuff etc.
    I wouldn't chuck it back in unless I had a better option tho because no guarantee the next one is any different !!
    If you can WFH then you're sorted. If mgr is happy working is done then I guess they dont care what else you do.

Jeremy Kyle while you work?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    +1
    Very hard to ramp up from doing nothing. Had lots of contracts like this, which kept getting extended.
    Week or so after an extension, I happily go and see client, explain I am on top of current workload and happy to take on any additional work needed and not fussy what it is as long as I am helping out.
    This has rarely (never)produced anything beyond a few extra bits and has never resulted in the contract finishing.
    As one chap said, ok you only have half a workload but if you go I have to find someone to do that half and every perm says they are maxed out. Plus, keeping someone is a LOT easier than trying to get someone new in, get budget authorised, justify to seniors etc.
    Coping strategy - wfh is obviously brilliant, after asking for extra work my conscience is clear so working hours get a big cut back (9-4 in one gig + played footy 2 lunchtimes a week). Long lunch likewise. Get a break booked a few months ahead (always helps you keep going). I monitor investments etc which helps too, learn some stuff etc.
    I wouldn't chuck it back in unless I had a better option tho because no guarantee the next one is any different !!

Leave a comment:

• SeekingIT
    replied
    Indeed!!!

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    This last bit is a weird but true one. I was in my first job for 2 years, but by the second year I could (at a push) easily get a weeks worth of work done in a day leaving me hours each week with nothing to do. At first I tried to fill my time, but by the time I needed to leave, I could barely be bothered to do the bare minimum. It's strange - the less you have to do, the more motivation it takes to do it!
    This is So true........

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Been in gigs like this. Its all well and good thinking great I can do other stuff but it does do your head in eventually.

Sometimes amazes me why clients think they need an extra person/contractor. Many times I've got to site and not even had a PC/access for weeks. Then when you do no-one can be arsed to bother with you.
    Exactly!! - also been a small environment, theres little or nothing you could do. nothing to enhance or re-engineer - Anyways i guess i have to sit here till the last day Loads of money in my pocket anyway .

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Been in gigs like this. Its all well and good thinking great I can do other stuff but it does do your head in eventually.

Sometimes amazes me why clients think they need an extra person/contractor. Many times I've got to site and not even had a PC/access for weeks. Then when you do no-one can be arsed to bother with you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by javadude View Post
    If they're paying you when there's no work then that suggests employment and being inside IR35.
    Totally this

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If they're not called Pete it could get a bit tricky.

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    It can get a bit too much, you reach the point where reading blogs and forums (proper work ones, not CUK) becomes boring and you just have to find some other position or sit clock watching all day. It's one thing being self motivated but eventually the pointlessness of it all gets to you and even the occasional bit of real work becomes a chore.
    Absolutely this. I remember once waiting for some work to start, weeks of creating powerpoints, cleaning up sharepoint etc and it dragged on and on and finally when the work got released I was bordering on useless. Just couldn't nail the work like I like to do. Not a piece of work I was proud of.

IMO if there is really nothing left to do then your work there is done. Look for a new gig, negotiate an exit that suits you with the client and leave. For sanity and your IR35's sake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X