• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Blacklisting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Blacklisting"

Collapse

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Man, just leave it. You are worried about restraint of trade, how much work do you think you will get when your name goes around the agency world as the guy that couldn't let go? Only has to hit the industry news and your buggered.

Just move on.
    Yeah good shout.

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Not worth getting mad about, it'S just an agency, forget it... move on. You're not blacklisted except as far as she is concerned. Who cares. I never once in my entire life ever spoken to any agent more than once. In 6 months the staff will be completely different.
    On further consideration and after much wine I must retract mu previous position and agree with the above. Let it go.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Not worth getting mad about, it'S just an agency, forget it... move on. You're not blacklisted except as far as she is concerned. Who cares. I never once in my entire life ever spoken to any agent more than once. In 6 months the staff will be completely different.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Might do a SAR then, might even come under the ECHR restriction of trade?
    Man, just leave it. You are worried about restraint of trade, how much work do you think you will get when your name goes around the agency world as the guy that couldn't let go? Only has to hit the industry news and your buggered.

Just move on.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Might do a SAR then, might even come under the ECHR restriction of trade?

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Apologies, I misread this. I thought it was the end client who said this, not the agency.

I would pursue this as this has the potential to block future work. An she is being atrocious. Give it a week an pit a subject access request in and see what it says as a first step?
    Agree takes her down a peg or 2...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Quite inclined to let it pass but as said was pissed of with it. Just really poor form. It is also not unheard of for me to employ people in my role within my contracts and dealing with agencies, so I dont see it as I have burned a bridge, more the other way round. I can do more harm to them in the long run but do feel that she should be taken down a peg or two being a director and all. I have also noticed they are a subsidiary of a bigger hiring company. Normally if you made a representation to a smallish company aout something like this it would be a friendly "telling off" and brushed off in the office as dont be silly to put something like that in a email again but where they are a sub of a bigger company, i dont think the bigger company would laugh it off so easily, especially with like mentioned the current blacklisting issue in the press.
    Apologies, I misread this. I thought it was the end client who said this, not the agency.

I would pursue this as this has the potential to block future work. An she is being atrocious. Give it a week an pit a subject access request in and see what it says as a first step?

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Quite inclined to let it pass but as said was pissed of with it. Just really poor form. It is also not unheard of for me to employ people in my role within my contracts and dealing with agencies, so I dont see it as I have burned a bridge, more the other way round. I can do more harm to them in the long run but do feel that she should be taken down a peg or two being a director and all. I have also noticed they are a subsidiary of a bigger hiring company. Normally if you made a representation to a smallish company aout something like this it would be a friendly "telling off" and brushed off in the office as dont be silly to put something like that in a email again but where they are a sub of a bigger company, i dont think the bigger company would laugh it off so easily, especially with like mentioned the current blacklisting issue in the press.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    With all the current press around blacklisting in the construction industry I am not sure I would have put it quite like that in an e-mail.
    Mmmm.......

He has a choice of stirring -- sending the email to someone higher up in the company --- or leaving it alone.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    My post was quoting Kal who said "tell him" was merely saying they were female.
    Yep that what it read is as, i assumed it was a bloke, no sexism here!

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Blacklisting

There are some people with whom I shall never do business with again and I regard that info as valuable and hard earned.

Given the market is viciously competitive, the best thing for a pimp to do if he discovers a contractor who makes trouble is to leave him be and let another agency suffer, why would you share that info ?

As a pimp I have never seen any evidence of blacklisting, even when it might be justified.

As a contractor I had a tier-1 falling out with MSB/Networkers International and take great pride that I've cost them real money by sharing what I know of them including one large bank stopped using them on my say so.

Didn't stop them contacting for contracts, even when I'd gone permie and then become a competitor pimp, frankly pimps are too disorganised to maintain a blacklist, though some will have random anecdotes on their databases.

There is of course gossip in the pub, but as far as it is possible to prove a negative, I am sure.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What has this got to do with anything? You insinuating the issue was caused because she was female?
    My post was quoting Kal who said "tell him" was merely saying they were female.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    With all the current press around blacklisting in the construction industry I am not sure I would have put it quite like that in an e-mail.
    Last edited by Andy Hallett; 18 October 2013, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I was inclined to do this and also state I would be making various other contractors aware blah blah blah.
    Pointless. It's just blustering and they know it as well. Just laugh it off and move on. You will only get upset again when she responds.

By the way it was a female finance director
    What has this got to do with anything? You insinuating the issue was caused because she was female?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I was inclined to do this and also state I would be making various other contractors aware blah blah blah.

By the way it was a female finance director
    Just ignore it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X