• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking for time off"

Collapse

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Sounds about right.

No need to hammer home the idea you are a business. As long as your contract and working conditions are in order you can still talk to them f2f and say you are planning to take some time off on so and so date.
    Just so. No need for conflict. I appreciate that it is in the contractor blood to emphasise the 'business' angle but it does not usually draw sympathy from permies.

From an end user's perspective, arranging time off as a contractor is not different to arranging time off as an employee.
    You give reasonable notice and make an effort to minimise inconvenience to your workmates. Does not need to very formal (as long that is not a site standard) but prior approval is a big plus in this game.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I always speak to them first:

"Would it cause you a problem if I'm not available from x to y?"

Then follow it up with an email:

"Just to confirm that I will not be available from x to y".

I think that strikes the balance right, there is no implication that I am asking permission, but it gives them the opportunity to voice any concerns.

Leave a comment:

• SarahL2012
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If they plan a holiday at any stage in advance, how do you deal with that heading to a critical deadline? I've got next summer booked already.

Guess who managed to have the worst scheduled holiday on the whole team? Yup, that would be me. But I've been shouting it out for months now so back-up plans are (not really) in place.

And they do give me their personal contact details. Its probably because I'm just so lovely to work for.......... (or I'll call the number and find they've given me some dodgy premium line instead!!)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
    I've got one through from a contractor today

" Hi Sarah, just wanted to let you know I'm off for a week date # to #. "

That's pretty much all I expect from the contractors who work for me as they're all pretty sensible & won't take time off heading up to a critical deadline.
    If they plan a holiday at any stage in advance, how do you deal with that heading to a critical deadline? I've got next summer booked already.

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
    If I think anything urgent might come up then I'll ask for a contact number or email address, but its only to be used for very critical stuff because otherwise you lose the goodwill.

Leave a comment:

• SarahL2012
    replied
    I've got one through from a contractor today

" Hi Sarah, just wanted to let you know I'm off for a week date # to #. "

That's pretty much all I expect from the contractors who work for me as they're all pretty sensible & won't take time off heading up to a critical deadline.
    If I think anything urgent might come up then I'll ask for a contact number or email address, but its only to be used for very critical stuff because otherwise you lose the goodwill.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I would say you need a fundamental re-think of your position as it appears even you think you are asking for time off and the wording is just covering up you poor understanding of your situation.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Agree with everyone above that mentions face-to-face with a follow-up e-mail confirming your plans. The direction comes from you, but don't let the tail wag the dog; professional courtesy goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    Or, rather letting them know when You'Re not going to be around.

How Do you Word the Email?

Something like Dear client co - just to let you know that I wo.t be aVailBle for work on :'<fill in the dates>

Does that sound about right.

Assuming they reply in the Ffirmative, would you keep a copy of the email as defence?
    I would have thought a face-to-face with the manager about your intentions first.
    Agree amicably on dates, and point out that you believe you aren't leaving in the middle of critical phase, or dropping them in it.

Then, immediately follow up an email with
    "Further to our recent conversation ....."

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Hi,

Here's the dates that I won't be working:

<list of dates>

Regards,

TF

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Something like Dear client co - just to let you know that I wo.t be aVailBle for work on :'<fill in the dates>

Assuming they reply in the Ffirmative, would you keep a copy of the email as defence?
    Is your keyboard playing up? I would get a new one before everyone permanently marks you as the illiterate you appear to be..

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    How about starting it with "Just to confirm our conversation, I will be unavailable for work on......".
    Sounds about right.

No need to hammer home the idea you are a business. As long as your contract and working conditions are in order you can still talk to them f2f and say you are planning to take some time off on so and so date.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied

How about starting it with "Just to confirm our conversation, I will be unavailable for work on......".

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Asking?

I'm not an employee - I tell and advise anything business critical will need to be worked around the dates of absence.

Leave a comment:

• Chunk
    started a topic Asking for time off

Asking for time off

Working...
X