• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tips for how to move from developer to project manager"

Collapse

• Mrfrank
    replied
    It can be done

A lot of clients like to combine project management with other roles; e.g. PM / Developer, Functional Consultant / PM. It is especially common in mainland Europe and can often be a sign of all sorts of institutional problems, but it does give you a role which you can present on your CV as project management.
    If none of these type of roles show up you should look for development lead roles, which always have the scope to allow you to perform PM tasks (the actual PM will be grateful for your assistance) and also allow you to add appropriately to your CV.

Leave a comment:

• AJS
    replied
    Thanks all for the replies... think my best bet is to try and position myself to pick up any small pieces of planning/PM like work again and see where it takes me - if current client sees me in a new light it might just work!... moving back permie is the ultimate solution but not workable for me right now but probably the longer term aim.
    thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Difficult but not impossible.

Absence of PRINCE2 cert is a barrier but having it doesn't help much.

Some possible routes are:

- Tap your contacts
    - Work on a small project where you can do your dev work and take on some PM responsibilities (e.g. workstream lead). Build it up from there.
    - Find a (probably small again) project which requires very niche dev expertise that gives you a greater edge over vanilla PMs
    - Start undertaking some PM functions in whatever role you are in (covering for reporting / other duties during PM holidays etc.)

This is all easier as a permie, I think.

I took on my first IT PM role three years ago in healthcare after a career in healthcare of IT config / business change and the odd non-IT PM job. It went fine and they kept me on for two more projects. But, I was recommended by contacts and had niche (smaller niche than healthcare) expertise.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    As mentioned above, the glut of project managers and plastic PMs on the market is just silly. So many contractors and ex-permies trying to contract in desperation means there's almost no way in for an inexperienced PM in the market now. Even the old route of techie moving into PM is nearly closed as companies don't have to bother training PMs because there's so many good ones desperate for a job they'll come in on quite low salaries.

If you really want to get into project management, the best way is to go through your contacts, tout yourself out as wanting to switch then accept that you're going to be taking a large pay cut to start at the bottom. If you've no suitable contacts to exploit and no experience then maybe you should consider not going down that career path at this time. Even if you do have good contacts you'll need to get your pitch right in why they should give you a chance as a junior PM.

As an aside, anyone who thinks PRINCE2 qualifies you to be a PM is probably not the right person to be talking to about a PM career! I know people with PRINCE2 Practitioner who haven't run a project more complex than their weekly Tesco shopping run.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I would say going back permie is the only way to do this without relying on bulltulip bordering on blatant lies on your CV and in interview. Even if you did manage to blag it you will get found out pretty quickly and there will be raft of guys ready to fill your spot.
    This.

I know a guy who is a good project manager and an excellent technical developer, who I've worked with before. I don't know how he did it, though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As already said contracting is about delivering your saleable skills to a client that needs those specific skills. There is no room for career advancement or role changing. If you don't have the skills you can't sell them. It is as simple as that. Some people have picked up extra skills while on a gig but have been able to apply those skills and then demonstrate them to the next client but that is very lucky and I am sure isn't a change that the contractor made just on whim or fancy.

You have to go away and find some way of delivering these skills in a way you can then demonstrate to the next client to a degree of confidence that you can convince them you are the best man for the job. In PM'ing the only way you can do this is with a long list of delivered projects.

Course work and certifications will not cut it. I would say going back permie is the only way to do this without relying on bulltulip bordering on blatant lies on your CV and in interview. Even if you did manage to blag it you will get found out pretty quickly and there will be raft of guys ready to fill your spot.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Of course, you can outright lie (wait, adjust your CV to fit the role as it's called around here) and you might have better results.
    You might call it that, the rest of us can see it a sticking lipstick on a pig.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by AJS View Post
    Hi
    I've been a contractor senior IT developer for many years now, with some exposure to project management type activities during that time, and some PM experience in my old permie days.
    Would like to move more in to PM again, but as a contractor how can I make that happen? I've passed my PRINCE2 Practitioner and tried editing my CV to refocus but am always just seen as a senior developer... Has anyone made that shift in direction from dev to PM whilst contracting? Any tips?
    Many thanks...
    As a long time contractor, you will know that hiring a contractor means the client want someone to come in, and hit the ground running straight away with minimal fuss.

There are lots of contractor PM's out there, many looking for work, and also many permie PM's recently made redundant or breaking out into contracting for the first time - you would be behind them in the line for picking up a contract PM role, unless you go in at an incredibly low rate and even then you will struggle.

Of course, you can outright lie (wait, adjust your CV to fit the role as it's called around here) and you might have better results.

I'm sure there are people who have done it, but the easier way might be going permie again.

Leave a comment:

• AJS
    started a topic Tips for how to move from developer to project manager

Tips for how to move from developer to project manager

Hi
    I've been a contractor senior IT developer for many years now, with some exposure to project management type activities during that time, and some PM experience in my old permie days.
    Would like to move more in to PM again, but as a contractor how can I make that happen? I've passed my PRINCE2 Practitioner and tried editing my CV to refocus but am always just seen as a senior developer... Has anyone made that shift in direction from dev to PM whilst contracting? Any tips?
    Many thanks...

Working...
X