• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors in the workplace"

Collapse

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Don't you just park it diagonally across two spaces to ensure that you don't damage other car doors when you are entering the vehicle?
    Ah-ha, you've seen me?!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Hehe, I think it is only right I turn up each day in my Jaaaaaaaag, and then spend a few minutes complaining about the tight parking spaces (yep, blagged a numbered space on site)
    Don't you just park it diagonally across two spaces to ensure that you don't damage other car doors when you are entering the vehicle?

Originally posted by stek View Post
    At the DVLA in Swansea they had some special spaces for short cars only - one of the lads assumed his Corsa would qualify but apparently it was 5cms too long and not on the official list.

I understand the SS (sorry DVLA Parking Team) measured it and issued him with a warning. Three of those and you could get your access pass revoked - effectively binned for parking in the wrong place a few times....
    We had a space at my last client that was called the "last resort". It was next to a rather shonky looking 7ft brick wall... One day a delivery VAN poked the wall on the way out and a fellow contractor that had dived into the space in front of a permie found out why it was so named... Apparently at one point they were not going to pay for the damage because that part of the carpark is clearly marked staff only

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    At the DVLA in Swansea they had some special spaces for short cars only - one of the lads assumed his Corsa would qualify but apparently it was 5cms too long and not on the official list.

I understand the SS (sorry DVLA Parking Team) measured it and issued him with a warning. Three of those and you could get your access pass revoked - effectively binned for parking in the wrong place a few times....

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You laugh, had a mate contracting at the FCO in Milton Keynes and had blagged himself a named spot in the permies carpark with being their so long and a bit of luck. He had an old Celica at the time. Treated himself to a new Caymen and within 3 weeks he had been asked not to park in that carpark
    Is this the FCO surrounded by massive barbed wire topped fencing and patrolled by squaddies who have otherwise displeased their CO?

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I pitch up in my Corsa. Permies rolling up in BMWs with personalised number plates. Even the admin staff seem to have MR5s. I think they all feel sorry for me.
    This happens when you contract at a motor car manufacturer. As most of us know, the permies get a good choice of prime rides as part of their rewards package!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    We generally use a cattle truck for that sort of thing.
    Well you wouldn't want the little savages tearing up a car interior now would you...

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Hehe, I think it is only right I turn up each day in my Jaaaaaaaag, and then spend a few minutes complaining about the tight parking spaces (yep, blagged a numbered space on site)

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I don't suppose you would look too good turning up in a blingy Jag or BMW, when you are taking kids away from a family due to poverty and social issues.
    We generally use a cattle truck for that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Noting wrong with a Corsa, jolly good car IMHO. Mine is 11 years old and has hardly cost me anything. I intend to make it last 20 years.
    I don't suppose you would look too good turning up in a blingy Jag or BMW, when you are taking kids away from a family due to poverty and social issues.
    For the other IT contractors among us that are tight as a ducks arse there is a whole seam of untapped car greatness to be had in top gear fashion for the sub 3k price bracket and you can find some real corkers. My garage is fantastic they will find the worst snotters on the planet with some of the smoothest engines you can find and mileage that has gone round the clock at least once. That is if you really don't mind driving round in a dog kennel.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I pitch up in my Corsa. Permies rolling up in BMWs with personalised number plates. Even the admin staff seem to have MR5s. I think they all feel sorry for me.
    Noting wrong with a Corsa, jolly good car IMHO. Mine is 11 years old and has hardly cost me anything. I intend to make it last 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Eh? Was it silver?
    No it's black. But the chap said he had another one coming in this week that might be silver

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    If you are going to spend 10-18k on a new car then there is some seriously good value in the second hand market. I had to pop down to a dealers in Bristol the weekend and there was a 2007 CLS AMG 6.3 on the forecourt for 20k not bad for a 70k car that does 29 to the gallon and only had 30k on the clock.
    Eh? Was it silver?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    If you are going to spend 10-18k on a new car then there is some seriously good value in the second hand market. I had to pop down to a dealers in Bristol the weekend and there was a 2007 CLS AMG 6.3 on the forecourt for 20k not bad for a 70k car that does 29 to the gallon and only had 30k on the clock.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You laugh, had a mate contracting at the FCO in Milton Keynes and had blagged himself a named spot in the permies carpark with being their so long and a bit of luck. He had an old Celica at the time. Treated himself to a new Caymen and within 3 weeks he had been asked not to park in that carpark
    Should have seen the Atlas carpark back in the day. There was everything from Ferraris to an R8 personal favourite was the guy with a brand new cl55 AMG and decided to bribe the guard to let him park in the disabled space due to its size I think the term out of control springs to mind.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Because it get me to where I want to go without fuss and it isn't the slowest car on the road.
    Not exactly thrilling though is it? You could have a TT or mini for that sort of price range, both have a good pedigree and are entirely usable on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X