• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lloyds Banking Group Contract Roles"

Collapse

• thinEnd7
    replied
    To bob or not to bob - that is the question...

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    The trick is to go direct via Bob, doing that at the moment and quite happy with rate, though know they will want to have the "permie or leave" conversation at some point, though my relationship with client is longer than my relationship with Bob so hoping that gives me some leverage.

That aside there is loads of work here at the moment, projects are being quoted a 4-6 lead time on resources.

Useful comments, thanks! 5 months on, would you say that your comment "the trick is to go direct via Bob" is still valid? Am hoping to land a contract with LBG in the near future and am thinking that maybe it's worth a try to go via a local agency that doesn't have to go via Bob (it seems from herman_g's post of 4/8 that there is a possibility, however small, of doing that) - or is LBG a "closed shop" for Bob by now?

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post

Uk / European banks seem alot MORE relaxed then US banks, now at a US bank and probably the most stressful job I've ever had, plus I went permy as well
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• flipFlop
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    I suspect your top dollar and my top dollar are somewhat different as the money on offer for the techie roles is absolute tulipe.
    It wasn't my top dollar, it was Lloyds's, paying via two intermediaries.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Computer People ( mentioned above ) supplies contractors through Wipro.
    CP and Wipro? Jesus, shafted from both sides!

qh

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Uk / European banks seem alot less relaxed then US banks, now at a US bank and probably the most stressful job I've ever had, plus I went permy as well
    Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 11 October 2013, 22:25.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Sorry may appear a bit of a silly question - When you guys say Bob and Bobland, what do you mean by that?

Thanks.
    Introducing Bob Shawadiwadi - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    My friend has just gone back there last week through coal. I was there through computer people (2 years) last time.

Leave a comment:

• Big Dawg
    replied
    Sorry may appear a bit of a silly question - When you guys say Bob and Bobland, what do you mean by that?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• flipFlop
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That was made up but I've seen far worse if you remove Wipro and insert Accenture instead.
    Your figures were near-enough exact.

Leave a comment:

• Big Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Based where ? West Yorkieland or Edinburgh ?
    I am based in London mate.

the RBS role was based in the City

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Dawg View Post
    In reply to one of the questions why would I want to go to lloyds?

I was in a role at RBS as a SAS Business/Data Analyst but got the chop there when they made mass cuts last year. Was off out of work for about a year, and got a contract with a utilities/construction company but Im not enjoying it at all. I took it just to stop the clock on the gap on my CV. It pays close to my RBS rate.

Up until this new gig I've almost 100% worked for premier banking clients. I am getting on a bit, so want something that will potential keep me employed for at least 2 years or so, hence Lloyds.

Thanks for all your replies, very insightful.
    Based where ? West Yorkieland or Edinburgh ?

Leave a comment:

• Big Dawg
    replied
    In reply to one of the questions why would I want to go to lloyds?

I was in a role at RBS as a SAS Business/Data Analyst but got the chop there when they made mass cuts last year. Was off out of work for about a year, and got a contract with a utilities/construction company but Im not enjoying it at all. I took it just to stop the clock on the gap on my CV. It pays close to my RBS rate.

Up until this new gig I've almost 100% worked for premier banking clients. I am getting on a bit, so want something that will potential keep me employed for at least 2 years or so, hence Lloyds.

Thanks for all your replies, very insightful.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Sorry, I did mean IT techies.

I work in a fairly niche area. Market rate to a contractor is normally 500 / day - a rate I and most I know are happy with.

Wipro's "winning bid" for a job needing about 20 resources was 600 / day. They went to the market hoping for 300 / day contractors and offered Computer People a 9% markup ( they got a few substandard ones for 350 ). The eventual breakdown was:

Lloyds paid £600
    Wipro pocketed £219
    Computer People receive £381
    Contractor got £350

Impossible to understand why Lloyds didn't just pay Computer People £600 and let the contractor end up with the market rate of £500! That is, until you realize Wipro had a dozen or so offshore resources Lloyds were paying Wipro £325 for ( and getting a small bag of peanuts ). Management had no idea almost nothing was being produced offshore and somehow didn't care.

The trick is to go direct via Bob, doing that at the moment and quite happy with rate, though know they will want to have the "permie or leave" conversation at some point, though my relationship with client is longer than my relationship with Bob so hoping that gives me some leverage.

That aside there is loads of work here at the moment, projects are being quoted a 4-6 lead time on resources.

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Y'see dude, that is a sweeping generalisation and mostly a load of tulipe.

If you're talking IT techies then, yes, but they're not the majority of contractors. My area, for example is 100% bob free and bob agent free (right down to the UAT defect management team).
    Sorry, I did mean IT techies.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Lloyds pay £1200
    Wipro pocket £800
    Spring receive £400
    Contractor gets £300
    I work in a fairly niche area. Market rate to a contractor is normally 500 / day - a rate I and most I know are happy with.

Wipro's "winning bid" for a job needing about 20 resources was 600 / day. They went to the market hoping for 300 / day contractors and offered Computer People a 9% markup ( they got a few substandard ones for 350 ). The eventual breakdown was:

Lloyds paid £600
    Wipro pocketed £219
    Computer People receive £381
    Contractor got £350

Impossible to understand why Lloyds didn't just pay Computer People £600 and let the contractor end up with the market rate of £500! That is, until you realize Wipro had a dozen or so offshore resources Lloyds were paying Wipro £325 for ( and getting a small bag of peanuts ). Management had no idea almost nothing was being produced offshore and somehow didn't care.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    I did read it but didn't expect anything like those numbers (except the last one of course). Are they real or fictitious?

Have to say the last bloke I spoke to at Spring sounded a bit fed up with the rate he had to offer, implying he was struggling to get anyone useful but it was outside his control due to the 'rate card'.
    That was made up but I've seen far worse if you remove Wipro and insert Accenture instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X