• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Family illness etc - chances might have to can gig"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    We did to begin with. Now you come out as a sub-suity suity without the funny anecdotes and stories that he provides.
    + 1. Suity is like a well-loved doubly incontinent family pet. Lose the well-loved and it's not so good.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    One of the benefits of working for yourself is that you are part of a flexible workforce. You have the flexibility to adjust when you work, and who you work for.

In this situation, you have a choice of either
    • Leave the contract and spend time at home
    • Stay in the contract, man up and stop whining
    • Stay in the contract and keep bleating
    • Stay in the contract, discuss the situation with the client, and arrange cover

The best of these is the last. A number of people have suggested this, and every time has come back with a whinge about how it's not that easy, or money doesn't buy everything...

The next best is to leave the contract, which is what I would have done.

The worst options are to keep moaning that you aren't getting the answer that you want here.
    The second option doesn't sound realistic.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Flippin heck FAQQER bit harsh. In this instance, I am moaning maybe but its about the situation than the contract/client. Hardly their fault is it?

Cant exactly predict the health of family members can I? Or are you saying I should check family members health before taking on any contracts?
    One of the benefits of working for yourself is that you are part of a flexible workforce. You have the flexibility to adjust when you work, and who you work for.

In this situation, you have a choice of either
    • Leave the contract and spend time at home
    • Stay in the contract, man up and stop whining
    • Stay in the contract and keep bleating
    • Stay in the contract, discuss the situation with the client, and arrange cover

The best of these is the last. A number of people have suggested this, and every time has come back with a whinge about how it's not that easy, or money doesn't buy everything...

The next best is to leave the contract, which is what I would have done.

The worst options are to keep moaning that you aren't getting the answer that you want here.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    A different outlet? Hang on - what have we here a forum full of people in similar situations doing similar work who might empathise a little.
    We did to begin with. Now you come out as a sub-suity suity without the funny anecdotes and stories that he provides.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    No but you could pick a different outlet for some of your rants. Then you wouldn't look like someone who makes suity look professional.
    A different outlet? Hang on - what have we here a forum full of people in similar situations doing similar work who might empathise a little. Not as if I'm standing on the street with a banner or moaning directly to client is it?

Some of you take this forum WAY too seriously sometimes...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Flippin heck FAQQER bit harsh. In this instance, I am moaning maybe but its about the situation than the contract/client. Hardly their fault is it?

Cant exactly predict the health of family members can I? Or are you saying I should check family members health before taking on any contracts?
    No but you could pick a different outlet for some of your rants. Then you wouldn't look like someone who makes suity look professional.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Which is why you should give up the contract and take a permanent job at home, rather than constantly moaning about every contract that you take.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Money doesnt pay for everything.
    Which is why you should give up the contract and take a permanent job at home, rather than constantly moaning about every contract that you take.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
    as i said before get a home help, being a contractor more than covers the cost of someone to help or.... get a childminder in.
    Yeh. Thats all well and good but thats surely limited. Yeh I could get a cleaner in to clean the house, I could get a childminder in to look after the kids, but how far do you take it? Do I then employ someone to take her to hospital/visit her in hospital?

Got to draw the line somewhere. Money doesnt pay for everything.

Leave a comment:

• chineseJohn
    replied
    as i said before get a home help, being a contractor more than covers the cost of someone to help or.... get a childminder in.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Maybe the problem isn't with the bad clients or the posters on this forum which would leave.......

but that aside. Hope the wife and baby situation gets better. Can't be a nice place to be in at all.
    LOL. Thanks NLUK. Almost being nice there...

Must admit it ain't cool driving off on a monday am and then trying to produce some decent work for 12 hour shift knowing the mrs is back home and struggling. Spent the weekend mostly looking after the kids to try and give her a break so I'm knackered already before the week starts :-(

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your the one who came on here and moaned about an unsympathetic client.

Anyway you said you were doing shift work. Have you tried swapping with people? That's what other shift workers have to do.
    Yeh. Trouble is they seem to have things in a bit too tightly leaving little room for swap....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Have you and your wife considered getting some help in from a good agency? Does she need you specifically or would a couple of hours a day from someone who could take on some of the domestic stuff, maybe let her have a kip inthe afternoon help? It would cost but might make the difference and you carry on earning. Just a thought.
    Well, got her mother over this week at least. Shes in her 70s so can't expect too much but shes good as gold so it will be some help.

To be honest, thats probably not so much the issue. Its the fact that shes ill and got the kids to look after (inc young baby). At the moment, I don't really want her driving but, of course, shes got hospital visits etc to attend.

At the moment, its borderline whether shes going to be admitted to hospital (she has been 3 times in the last 6 months or so). She doesn't want this (who would want to stay in an NHS hospital?) and, of course, that would totally scupper any attendance at current contract for me.

Fingers crossed though. Informed client and they were OK about it and I told them I'd keep them posted. Strangely though, didn't stop them asking if I was OK for extra shifts which seemed weird after I told them there 'may' be an issue with what I had.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    FFS. Some right cheerful and nice people on here today.
    Maybe the problem isn't with the bad clients or the posters on this forum which would leave.......

but that aside. Hope the wife and baby situation gets better. Can't be a nice place to be in at all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    FFS. Some right cheerful and nice people on here today.
    Your the one who came on here and moaned about an unsympathetic client.

Anyway you said you were doing shift work. Have you tried swapping with people? That's what other shift workers have to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X