• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency for offshore or non-UK contractor?"

Collapse

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And to any agents out there contemplating replying to this post by advertising their company.

Don't bother.
    Sorry cojak, for getting you in the trouble.

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Just write to Chris Grayling, MP, HoP, London

He regularly gives £.5m chunks of work away immediately after promising them to the UK workforce,
    Thank you for your suggestion.

I don't think that I will able to get that project not because I am not confident but other factors.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I checked out O-Desk which is basically offering projects which you can do online. This is obviously dominated by developers in places like India, Ukraine or Pakistan, but you know the rates aren´t that low any more. You offer $30 an hour you are competitive. Sure it´s low, but it aint that low.

In the long term I don´t think we need to be worried.
    Thank you for your advice and suggestion.

I will check it out.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    A worker lives in a country with a low cost of living (or low tax) and does work for a client based in a country with a high cost of living. The worker gets paid a fee which would be considered relatively low in the client's country but relatively high in the worker's country.

The client and worker get the best of both worlds and everyone's a winner except people like me who got made redundant when their job was offshored.
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Nice Sorry to hear that Wanderer
    Ahh, I'm not crying about it too much because at the time I was contemplating going back to contracting and the pay off left me sitting on a 12 month+ war chest. Not long after I landed a pretty sweet contract too so it was a good thing overall.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the poor permie folks who were left behind, the outsourcing company took on some pretty awesome stuff that we had built and they really didn't understand any of it.

Bloody Northerners coming down here and stealing our jobs.
    [QUOTE=LisaContractorUmbrella;1696338]
    Ahh, I'm not crying about it too much because at the time I was contemplating going back to contracting and the pay off left me sitting on a 12 month+ war chest. Not long after I landed a pretty sweet contract too so it was a good thing overall.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the poor permie folks who were left behind, the outsourcing company took on some pretty awesome stuff that we had built and they really didn't understand any of it.

Does seem these days that so called cost cutting costs in the end
    I have to apologize to Wanderer because you were caught in the fire.

Sorry Wanderer.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You want to try people per hour or something like that offering small pieces of work. There is no way you are going to get a contract and you had very straight feedback from ask the agent. The only thing is you don't like it so are looking for some more answers that you like. There aren't any. That is the way we it s so you need to think of something else.

You are not really going to get much help from a UK contractor forum when you want to take a piece of work of shore and do it for peanuts either.
    UK's agents or contractors may dislike me. Yes, it's true that I don't like some of the inappropriate answer that were given to me either. But, it does not mean I have to give up on looking for it.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And to any agents out there contemplating replying to this post by advertising their company.

Don't bother.
    CJ - you are on fire this morning

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Don't bother.

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    So presumably you don't intend to pay tax in the UK either? May I ask why you cannot work in your country of residence?
    I did stated that I have planed to open a company at UK which indicated that I will open a company at UK. Therefore, I will pay tax based on the UK's government requirement.

I am working in my own country and at the same time, I did have some small business going on as well.

Thanks

Last edited by dragon; 11 February 2013, 11:11.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I do a similar thing but within the same country. Live up north, travel down to the south for the higher rates and deprive all southerners
    Actually you don't.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Ditto
    And that makes for a very happy Guinea Pig

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I do a similar thing but within the same country. Live up north, travel down to the south for the higher rates and deprive all southerners
    Ditto

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Just write to Chris Grayling, MP, HoP, London

He regularly gives £.5m chunks of work away immediately after promising them to the UK workforce,

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    [QUOTE=Wanderer;1696316]Ahh, I'm not crying about it too much because at the time I was contemplating going back to contracting and the pay off left me sitting on a 12 month+ war chest. Not long after I landed a pretty sweet contract too so it was a good thing overall.

Does seem these days that so called cost cutting costs in the end

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Nice Sorry to hear that Wanderer

Bloody Northerners coming down here and stealing our jobs.

Leave a comment:

• SAPABAPLeeds
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X