• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ask the Agent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ask the Agent"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
    Ah yes.

The answer is no and can they please stop ringing me up.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    I'm guessing the market is awash with candidates and eventually you will find one who hits the mark exactly? I note an earlier post I put up saying I was spot on for 9 out of 10 requirements but got pulled up on the 10th! (a minor one at that).
    As of late this evening the role has been re-advertised with an extra line at the end stressing the nature of the tenth point! Not just me then.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Or just knows his market very well???
    You mean knows how to word match very well.

This isn't just your fault btw but it's also how some clients work.

Due to their layers of management and HR, or the fact they think everyone should understand exactly what they mean they hand out really crap role descriptions.

Leave a comment:

• AnonAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Remarkable sort of agent who can usually find 5 or 6 perfectly qualified candidates per job and then selects according to his personal prejudice. Must be kept very busy by his clients!
    Or just knows his market very well???

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Personally I think agents are excellent human beings (with feelings) who add a lot to society! (How was that???)

Surprised that there were people with 5 of the 10 never mind the 10. Still, I know nothing.......(not the first time its been said, either)
    Remarkable sort of agent who can usually find 5 or 6 perfectly qualified candidates per job and then selects according to his personal prejudice. Must be kept very busy by his clients!

Leave a comment:

• EMEAfixer
    replied
    I dont know what this means.
    I've been smelling socks since Dragon started posting, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    All agents are tw*ts

Leave a comment:

• AnonAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    He is offshore guy wanting to open UK company but do the work offshore.... Would you accept CV's from offshore guy with UK company for UK gigs is what he is asking. Why he hasn't actually tried contacting any agents to ask them directly and find out if what he is asking is actually viable I don't know.
    Ah yes.

The answer is no and can they please stop ringing me up.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    He is offshore guy wanting to open UK company but do the work offshore.... Would you accept CV's from offshore guy with UK company for UK gigs is what he is asking. Why he hasn't actually tried contacting any agents to ask them directly and find out if what he is asking is actually viable I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• AnonAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon View Post
    Hello Agent,

I wonder do you accept CV or resume hand it by non-UK resident?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Hello Agent,

I wonder do you accept CV or resume hand it by non-UK resident?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    In the last few years (about 4 or so) I really haven't come across bad agencies, IMO they have really improved their conduct and started to work more professionally.
    All pay on time, all happy to wait for references after the interview.
    There is a trend for the last couple of years for them also to interview me before sending out the CV, at the start I was annoyed as I didn't really want to waste a trip to meet with an agent, but I must admit it was always positive to meet and tell them face to face.

I know their priority is the clients and making money, but in the recent years, I do believe they have come really far from the old days.... or perhaps its the kind of clients/agencies I am dealing with??
    There are some agencies that I really like to deal with and would be more than happy to recommend.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Originally posted by robin View Post
    I have a question -

Do agents bother other agents to get 'leads' by using all the same tulip that contractors get when we can see right through what they are actualy asking most of the time. Do you ring other agents up and pretend to be someone interested in jobs other agents have advertised trying to get info so you can work out who it might be and get your CV's over?

I don't know why but it makes me feel a tiny bit better to know agents are getting it back from other agents in trying to get leads given they try it from us!
    I've known it to happen.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    In my market - s/w dev - there are many more candidates than jobs. And often deciding who makes the cut to be sent is something we cant quite explain, but as there might be 5 or 6 candidates with the 10 requirements then we have to cut someone.

Usually in those circumstances, its the candidates who treat us like dirt under their shoe, has no willingness to give us any market information and give us one line answers because they view our job at worthless
    Personally I think agents are excellent human beings (with feelings) who add a lot to society! (How was that???)

Surprised that there were people with 5 of the 10 never mind the 10. Still, I know nothing.......(not the first time its been said, either)

Leave a comment:

• AnonAgent
    replied
    I'm guessing the market is awash with candidates and eventually you will find one who hits the mark exactly? I note an earlier post I put up saying I was spot on for 9 out of 10 requirements but got pulled up on the 10th! (a minor one at that).
    In my market - s/w dev - there are many more candidates than jobs. And often deciding who makes the cut to be sent is something we cant quite explain, but as there might be 5 or 6 candidates with the 10 requirements then we have to cut someone.

Usually in those circumstances, its the candidates who treat us like dirt under their shoe, has no willingness to give us any market information and give us one line answers because they view our job at worthless

Leave a comment:

Working...
X