• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "End of Contract p45"

Collapse

• formant
    replied
    The umbrella did nothing wrong. You don't automatically get a P45 at the end of your contract, you have to formally give notice to your umbrella like you would to any other employer. So they won't be able to change that date.

That's irrelevant though. You can now either hand in your current P45 or request a P46 from your new employer or use this online version and hand it into HR:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46exemptonline.pdf
    I'd probably go down the P46 route if you don't want to confuse your current employer.
    That should sort things intermittently. Once you you get your P60 in April, phone HMRC, tell them you've paid too much tax and they'll refund you the difference.

Simply being on the payroll of another company doesn't constitute a 'second job'. If you haven't been paid from your umbrella since August, you won't be incurring any higher tax rates.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

P46 is the way to go. Insist upon one and if you don't get it from your new emp, call HMRC and ask for one. As long as you supply the brolley's Tax Ref, your new tax office will take it up with the old one and make any rectifications to your code and what you owe, this will then be provided in a new coding notice to the new emp and you will be taxed properly according to what you have earned and paid year to date. If the period where you have been overtaxed spans a tax year end and you have overpaid, you will get last year's overpayment in the form of a chq from the tax office and this year's through the payroll.

As an additional point, if the brolly reissue you with a new p45 with a different date, they are breaking HMRC rules. You are not supposed to amend them and you cannot cancel them.
    Last edited by tractor; 20 January 2013, 10:16.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    As long as the P45 is only for money earnt 6th April to end of contract in August, I can't see there being an issue with the HMRC.

I would as a matter of clarity ask for the P45 to be corrected though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    You used to be able to just fill out a P46 with the details from your last payslip which should show PAYE/NI paid in the current tax year. Don't know if this is still the case but if it is then that's the way to go.
    You can so but some accounts departments are lazy.

Then again I know people who have handed in P45s and been emergency taxed for the rest of a tax year.....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But your umbrella is your employer so if you gave them notice and left last week then the date is right? The date you finished your contract has nothing to do with surely?
    I assume even though you were still employed by your brolly, as you would not have been receiving a salary from them the emergency tax you are now paying from your premie role will be corrected in April when HMRC reconciles your P60's, you have to lump the payments from Aug to Jan, but at least you only have to wait a few months for it to be sorted

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by toshyboy View Post
    new employers told me last weel they have not received a p45 for me and my tax code is wrong
    You used to be able to just fill out a P46 with the details from your last payslip which should show PAYE/NI paid in the current tax year. Don't know if this is still the case but if it is then that's the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But your umbrella is your employer so if you gave them notice and left last week then the date is right? The date you finished your contract has nothing to do with surely?

Leave a comment:

• toshyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    There's no difference WRT tax due to HMRC.

Or if you mean that your new employer might not like the look of you (wrongly) having 2 concurrent jobs, just explain the situation?
    Hi - i meant in terms of hmrc - dont want the get charged emergency tax if they think ive had 2 jobs for the last 5 months

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by toshyboy View Post
    If i submit this to my new employer will the incorrect leaving date have any impact on my tax? Worried i'll get hammered for "having 2 jobs" when this is not the case??
    There's no difference WRT tax due to HMRC.

Or if you mean that your new employer might not like the look of you (wrongly) having 2 concurrent jobs, just explain the situation?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Contact the umbrella company and ask them to put the correct date on it.

If however you didn't tell the umbrella company that you weren't going to use their services any more they may push back on this.

Leave a comment:

• toshyboy
    started a topic End of Contract p45

End of Contract p45

Hi all
    I'm hoping somebody can help me. I finished a 2 year contract in august and was paid through an umbrella company. I immediately went into a new permanent job however my new employers told me last weel they have not received a p45 for me and my tax code is wrong (didnt really notice until i got heavily taxed on a bonus as my basic wage has been what i expected). Any how i contacted the umbrella company who said they dont send them out until asked. I have today received my p45 however it states my leaving date was 18/01 when in fact it was in august.
    If i submit this to my new employer will the incorrect leaving date have any impact on my tax? Worried i'll get hammered for "having 2 jobs" when this is not the case??

Thanks

Working...
X