• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Long-term low pay Vs short-term high pay"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are so full of crap you don't even know what you are writing.
    Perhaps it is you who is unable to understand what is being written......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    The question was not about me :-) It was a general question to see what people preferred and why - starting a discussion in a discussion forum.

Though were it about me I last did 10 months with the same clientco and had no issues about the place/work.
    Opted for the short-term option (my current place) and will keep hunting!
    You are so full of crap you don't even know what you are writing.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Yeah, we'll expect to see you clogging up the boards with more 'Should I, shouldnt I.......' threads in about 3 to 4 weeks then.

What a fooking joke of a contractor you are.
    Problem is I am in so much demand I have to keep making tough decisions....

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Yeah, we'll expect to see you clogging up the boards with more 'Should I, shouldnt I.......' threads in about 3 to 4 weeks then.

What a fooking joke of a contractor you are.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Flip a coin.
    Ask CUK

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Flip a coin.

Leave a comment:

• Liamxtype
    replied
    Take the short term contract, you'll earn enough in the 3 months to get some additional certifications done, then go and get a higher paying contract

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Take the money on the 3 month one, chances are you could take the 12 month one and get binned after 3 months or perhaps the 3 month one extends into 12 months anyway.

If you take a low rate long term contract then you can get stuck in a rut and that's not what contracting is about....

Leave a comment:

• MonzaMike
    replied
    Understand the job

As others have said try and understand what the role really entails.

Is it a short term piece of work that will be done in a couple of months or are they short of staff but can't increase perm head count.

I've been at one place for almost 3 years on 3M renewals, even 1M and 2M some times.

At another place they got into renewing for 12M as the approvals process was so complex, but only agreed the budget every 3M. I was 2M into my last 12M renewal when they gave everyone notice.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    It depends on the work, but as I get bored easily, I'd probably go for the 3 months, I'd work harder as I'd want to get an extension.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Surely you would be looking for an understanding of the length of the project etc? If it's 3 months on a project which has 4 years of requirement for your skill set - take the 3 monther. If it's 3 months and that's it, take the 12 monther.
    WHS

My latest gig is ending at the end of this month after 2 years. My previous few have all been 12 -15 months then I had a few short ones and a 3 year one before them. They were all, (bar the two short ones) 3 month design gigs and it was my job to turn them round into more work or find the next itch to scratch for the client...

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Surely you would be looking for an understanding of the length of the project etc? If it's 3 months on a project which has 4 years of requirement for your skill set - take the 3 monther. If it's 3 months and that's it, take the 12 monther.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well there is your answer then. That really isn't for you.
    The question was not about me :-) It was a general question to see what people preferred and why - starting a discussion in a discussion forum.

Though were it about me I last did 10 months with the same clientco and had no issues about the place/work.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 18 June 2012, 14:39.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Here is another issue - the 12 monther will have no notice period meaning you are forced to stay put and accept it......
    Well there is your answer then. That really isn't for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X