• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Making a company look bigger.."

Collapse

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by privateeye
    Plan B is ready but the advice I've been given is that I need to make the company look bigger than it actually is as the clients I need are in the big league.
    create a very recognisable, unforgettable - BRAND.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    when things take off you can take a serviced office in there...

Like the positive thinking

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Get a virtual office at a local business centre. It'll cost around 100 notes a month. It should give you a legitimate mailing address, telephone answering services, use of breakout areas, use of meeting rooms (supplementary fee) then when things take off you can take a serviced office in there...

Leave a comment:

• NewbieContractor
    replied
    great! .. but would it hinder contracts using a 0870/45 number as opposed to a 020 number?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Yep, you get the number and service for free, they get the revenue from the calls made to that number.

Leave a comment:

• NewbieContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    They make cash from the call charges. I use them for my 0845 number. They do VoIP and fax to email as well for free. Very reliable and good service and there is definitely a human presence unlike some telecoms providers.
    So it would cost me nothing??

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Cheers for this. How do they make their cash? From the call charges I guess? Do you use them yourself?
    They make cash from the call charges. I use them for my 0845 number. They do VoIP and fax to email as well for free. Very reliable and good service and there is definitely a human presence unlike some telecoms providers.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Free 0870 / 0845 numbers here - instant activation:

http://www.ovaltelecom.co.uk/

Cheers for this. How do they make their cash? From the call charges I guess? Do you use them yourself?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by privateeye
    thanks - 0870 thats worth doing but I may use an answering sevice to get rid of my rough edges, the website bit is done.
    Free 0870 / 0845 numbers here - instant activation:

http://www.ovaltelecom.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Thanks for all your input, as most of our target business are large corporates outside the area we need only adapt the address a little to make it look more business like. I like the idea from The Lone Gunman to name the house after the business - excellent. Probably confuse the posty more as he has trouble reading numbers - but that is another thread.

I can't give the name of the company away at the moment as it is very descriptive what we are trying to achieve - other people browse this board and the idea we have has never been tried before so don't want the idea out there too soon - some people will not want us to exist. Very proud of the name and have it registered/trademarked .com'ed .eu'ed, and .co.uk'ed - already had an offer for the name from someone I went to get advice from.

Email addresses are in the form firstname.lastname@ and department@

I can adapt IT experience and PI experience and use that Ltd Company as a jump start to create longetivity and that the new Ltd is a Launch from there - no different to an Investment Bank creating a new Ltd Co for new funds.

Can't wait to get going

Leave a comment:

• nobody here but us chicke
    replied
    how serious ?

Depends on how people are going to look at you.

whats the deal on being a plc these days?

how much share capital - doesnt that show up on some reports ?

On the address you might want to think about an address service,

1234 Picadilly

sounds better than

buttercup close
    even if it it privateeye ltd privateeye house. Also if people know your area then the postcode / street name may be a giveaway that its residential.

Plus if its a serviced office you can use their boardroom for meetings. How big do you want to look ?

change the name to something that sounds like a known big co? (I wouldnt but I've seen people do it)

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Change the address of your house to include the company name.

Privateye Ltd.
    Privateye House.
    Where ever....

Use one of the chancellors tricks to exagerate longevity.
    I have been contracting for 8 years, in that time I have 8 years ada, 8 years design and 8 years customer facing so I have 24 years experience in the software Industry. Same applies if you have a couple of partners. 3 mates run a business between them they have 90 years experience blah blah....

Always use the "royal we" when describing your business dont say I have done this say we or the company worked on. "our team" meaning you and the wife etc..

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    make sure your email addresses are on a proper domain AND not formatted as [email protected] It always makes me suspicious if they have just first names - how small is it?

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Get yourself an 0870 number. They're pretty cheap (and can earn you money). Make your website look like a decent size business. Put in a consultants resources/admin page etc

HTH
    thanks - 0870 thats worth doing but I may use an answering sevice to get rid of my rough edges, the website bit is done.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Get yourself an 0870 number. They're pretty cheap (and can earn you money). Make your website look like a decent size business. Put in a consultants resources/admin page etc

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X