• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contract handover

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract handover"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I could just start a thread in General for this purpose.

I could. I won't, but I could.
    Don't worry a "friend" has created one for you

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ce-friend.html

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Mods. Can we move this to General please so we can give Suityou the advice he needs?
    I could just start a thread in General for this purpose.

I could. I won't, but I could.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Mods. Can we move this to General please so we can give Suityou the advice he needs?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    This has nothing to do with the end client. This is between me, the agency and the consultancy. Oh no wait, sorry, you can't read more than a few lines.
    I know this is between you the agency and the consultancy. Points 1 - 3 are the things the consultancy and agency are going to do to you to protect their backsides and wallets.

Point 4 is what you should be doing with the end client. By the time this finishes within the end client either your name is going to be mud or the consultancies name is going to be mud and you need to be doing the things you can to make sure its looks like the consultancies fault.

After that it could be a cushy direct(ish) never ending contract with the end client supporting the system you've rescued from the mess the consultancy created.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why if they are going to blame you for the screw up that is this project they will.

If they are going to sue you for the screw up that is this project they will.

If they are going to withhold payment and get you to sue them for it they will.

You would be better off covering your backside and getting the end client on side rather than wasting your time doing stuff for them for free.
    This has nothing to do with the end client. This is between me, the agency and the consultancy. Oh no wait, sorry, you can't read more than a few lines.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    By sending that concilliatory email I have evidence I was being professional and grown up about it. Handy entry in my daily log to have I suspect.
    Why if they are going to blame you for the screw up that is this project they will.

If they are going to sue you for the screw up that is this project they will.

If they are going to withhold payment and get you to sue them for it they will.

You would be better off covering your backside and getting the end client on side rather than wasting your time doing stuff for them for free.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I sent an email to him and consultancy guy asking for a face 2 face meeting to thrash this out as I was getting conflicting statements. Not heard another thing.
    Are you going to fly to the meeting?

<cough> We're not in general </cough>
    Nor were the others.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You see that's the problem. You then sent another conciliatory email. You had the last word, you don't need to feel guilty about it and offer something else. He's not your wife.

And if they phone back, you're charging for that as well.
    By sending that concilliatory email I have evidence I was being professional and grown up about it. Handy entry in my daily log to have I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Agent : So did you think about what we talked about?
    Suity : Yep

Agent : And what did you decide?
    Suity : Well I'm quite happy being paid for developing and design work, so I'll pass on the offer of FOC handover work.

Agent : You have to do handovers, it's in your contract.
    Suity : Er, no, no it isn't. Of course I'd like to do handovers, being a good professional and all, but not for free. I'll of course try and leave some notes for the new guy.

Agent went mental.

I sent an email to him and consultancy guy asking for a face 2 face meeting to thrash this out as I was getting conflicting statements. Not heard another thing.

You see that's the problem. You then sent another conciliatory email. You had the last word, you don't need to feel guilty about it and offer something else. He's not your wife.

And if they phone back, you're charging for that as well.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't it amazing that KittyCat and Factgasm are treated as obvious trolls and yet SY spins an even more incredulous story and everyone buys it?

It's clearly the consultancy's fault for hiring a developer as a BPM.
    <cough> We're not in general </cough>

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    2 week handover on a 3 month bit of work that isn't finished.

They are taking you for a ride mate.
    Agent : So did you think about what we talked about?
    Suity : Yep

Agent : And what did you decide?
    Suity : Well I'm quite happy being paid for developing and design work, so I'll pass on the offer of FOC handover work.

Agent : You have to do handovers, it's in your contract.
    Suity : Er, no, no it isn't. Of course I'd like to do handovers, being a good professional and all, but not for free. I'll of course try and leave some notes for the new guy.

Agent went mental.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't it amazing that KittyCat and Factgasm are treated as obvious trolls and yet SY spins an even more incredulous story and everyone buys it?

It's clearly the consultancy's fault for hiring a developer as a BPM.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    2 week handover period. Unpaid.
    2 week handover on a 3 month bit of work that isn't finished.

They are taking you for a ride mate.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    That's a lovely story to warm the cockles of every contractor's heart!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My first contract was with the small consultancy I had been employed by for a number of years. As part of that I was Account Manager for a number of high profile customers and we charged for everything. Meetings, travel, discussions, phone calls etc as well as the actual dev work we did. If it went over, then we charged.

When I quit in an act of petulance and walked out. A client insisted I went back and finished the work. The consultancy offered to get someone else, the client insisted.

So I then negotiated terms with the consultancy I had left. At the time £500 per day(£500 was what we charged them as a consultancy for my time), and bearing in mind I'd quit a good £28k per year job with car(having been out of Uni for a few years) I was chuffed.

The work was finished in the agreed timescale and to the agreed quote. Then came a phone call 'Could you just pop in and....' - Yep. £500 for that meeting. Yes, £500 for that change! Yes £500 per day for the handover.

Obviously they went mental. But as I pointed out, it wasn't in the original terms and an extra £5k later in my pocket that handover was complete. I earnt more in one summer than I did the previous year as a permie, paid off every loan I had and a contractor was born. On the downside the owner of the small consultancy hated me with a passion, I never got a reference and ten years later when I bumped into him he still refuses to talk to me. A small price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X