• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Best jobsite

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best jobsite"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    IMO Jobserve is easy to use but not at all what it used to be. Remember many jobs dont get advertised so try and get in with a few agents who may speciliase in your skillset or sector experience. Move beyond Jobserve....try newer jobsites such as Technojobs and maybe also CW
    Technojobs and CW jobs aren't new.

One way of using job boards is to make links with agencies so when you are on the bench you can get another role by just going through your emails. Unfortunately too many agents are lazy and can't be bothered to dig their pool of known contractors.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Thanks Cojak,

I am doing those things. I also change my cv ever so slightly on Jobswerve every couple of days. I simply wondered whether it was still the best place or whether there were better options that had become available in the last couple of years.

Apologies too, I don't normally feed the trolls but there is really no need for Northern to insult everyone who asks any kind of question here. He could have easily resisted the temptation to troll.

IMO Jobserve is easy to use but not at all what it used to be. Remember many jobs dont get advertised so try and get in with a few agents who may speciliase in your skillset or sector experience. Move beyond Jobserve....try newer jobsites such as Technojobs and maybe also CW

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I like all that..

I wonder whether it is worth keeping up with ex-colleagues for the purpose of getting contracts. I don't know, but surely the problem is that contracts would come up when you are half way through an existing contract, and are therefore unavailable.
    Or perhaps the real benefit is that they would come up when you are on the bench, and available all the time.
    It is, as eventually it will coincide with when you are on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You can't sit back and wait for the jobs to come to you (via Jobserve and the rest).

You've got to hustle a bit.

Put yourself about on LinkedIn, tell people what you're doing/reading/learning. Answer questions on your specialty.

And update your CV with the latest fad/method/language - go on a course that contains the flavour of the month keyword (which is what I'll be doing ready to go hunting in the New Year).
    I like all that..

I wonder whether it is worth keeping up with ex-colleagues for the purpose of getting contracts. I don't know, but surely the problem is that contracts would come up when you are half way through an existing contract, and are therefore unavailable.
    Or perhaps the real benefit is that they would come up when you are on the bench, and available all the time.

Have you got any more tips cojak?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I think reciprocal recommendations devalues the whole idea so I don't.

I take care to thank those people who do recommend me and I do occasionally recommend others.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Having spent the day taking the advice and updating LinkedIn, I did wonder how people manage this situation. I'm sure we all have the odd person that we didn't get on with particularly well. Do you just front it out and recommend them anyway in the hope that they will appreciate the old boys network aspect and recommend you in return and vice versa? If you recommend someone and they don't return the favour do people delete recommendations and so on....
    I didn't say anything about recommending. I do very little of that, unless it is really justified, or done in a very subtle comedy manner (you won't spot which ones these are unless you were on that particular gig )

The guy simply put me in touch with the hiring manager and said 'hire this guy'.

Simples

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    LinkedIn

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Agree - dont link to agents on Linkedin, unless you have a genuine personal relationship with them. They add no value, and they will raid your contact list. You want everyone you have ever worked with in there - last gig I got via Linked was from a guy I didnt get on with particularly, but he needed someone and new via Linkedin that I was available. Saved him a fortnight in interviewing etc.
    Having spent the day taking the advice and updating LinkedIn, I did wonder how people manage this situation. I'm sure we all have the odd person that we didn't get on with particularly well. Do you just front it out and recommend them anyway in the hope that they will appreciate the old boys network aspect and recommend you in return and vice versa? If you recommend someone and they don't return the favour do people delete recommendations and so on....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Tractor - dont worry. NLUK tells everyone they shouldnt be a contractor.

I reckon its so that if everyone else quits he'll be the only left and have the pick of contracts :-)
    psychocandy never made it past tape changer
    Good advice from one our esteemed posters.

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Thanks for the comments on linkedin. I'll take those on board.

"I think you would probably be surprised how much your feelings may have shown to your client if the situation you said is true. If you felt like that in the interview you would have done very well to hide your body language let alone the edge in your voice."

No, I remained quite professional and viewed it as a 'challenge' that might have actually been thrown in there to see how I would handle it.

"There was some kind of truth in my witty jests."

lol call it what you like. If it walks like a duck.....
    Jobserve and don't fall for the '2 refs required by agency' card before submitting your CV etc (just hang up on the call - they like that). Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Agree - dont link to agents on Linkedin, unless you have a genuine personal relationship with them. They add no value, and they will raid your contact list. You want everyone you have ever worked with in there - last gig I got via Linked was from a guy I didnt get on with particularly, but he needed someone and new via Linkedin that I was available. Saved him a fortnight in interviewing etc.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Not to detract from the OPs post, but I have avoided adding all the agents who try to Link to me on LinkedIn as i haven't managed to find out how to stop them seeing all my other connections.

Jobserve, CW Jobs.

Get on the phone to the agents direct, make them think of you when your particular skillset comes up.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Having watched the forums for a while, I did wonder if you would benefit me with your usual tulip advice. Thank you, as expected, it is measured, constructive and highly detailed. In short, mega tulip.

"A client facing arena doesn't sound like your bag at all I am afraid."

tbh it doesn't sound like yours either unless you save your bile and vitriol for your anonymous, hide behind a screen persona which you use to vent your RL frustrations.

/facepalm

FYI, contracting has been fine for me for the last 25 years, I was one of the original contributors both financially and otherwise to the foundation of the PCG - I simply wanted to know about the market since I've been away.

I have had a good career for many years, brushing aside smart*** comments like yours with ease. I guess that's as good a way as any to get back into it.
    Tractor - dont worry. NLUK tells everyone they shouldnt be a contractor.

I reckon its so that if everyone else quits he'll be the only left and have the pick of contracts :-)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Shoot it?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    LinkedIn

Thanks for the comments on linkedin. I'll take those on board.

"I think you would probably be surprised how much your feelings may have shown to your client if the situation you said is true. If you felt like that in the interview you would have done very well to hide your body language let alone the edge in your voice."

No, I remained quite professional and viewed it as a 'challenge' that might have actually been thrown in there to see how I would handle it.

"There was some kind of truth in my witty jests."

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    The world has moved on. Linkedin is a game changer. I have had all of my gigs for years via contacts on Linkedin - in fact I opened my CV recently to discover it was last updated in 2007.

All the good gigs get handed out by word of mouth. Jobserve is for filling in the last few remaining seats with commodity BoS.

If you don't have every contact you ever met on Linkedin, and aren't reminding them of your availability weekly, then you are either on the bench or making up the numbers.
    LinkedIn definitely has growing influence in the market. I have noticed more and more people reading my profile and calling me due to LinkedIn.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X