• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Barclays business banking... these £5.50 monthly charges ... and PCG"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Go HSBC. Does what it says on the tin.

Leave a comment:

• Crack Addick
    replied
    Looks like Santander have dropped the free business banking for ever angle. Now it's only free for 12 months, after which you have 3 tariffs (£7.50-£20 p/m) to choose from.

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Sate...COM_TemplateW2

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    I've been with Santander for for donkey's years. I have a personal account with them so my transfers are instantaneous (sic) after a quick phone call.

If I wasn't with Santander I would be with Carter Allen. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

If your personal account(s) has (have ) faster payments then it shouldn't be a hassle moving money around instantaneously over the internet from your business account.

Since the introduction of Faster Payments unless the banks are sh*t the money transfers within the hour if you do it online. If the bank can't do it they should warn you before you confirm the transaction.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Move banks every few years.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    replied
    I've been with Santander for for donkey's years. I have a personal account with them so my transfers are instantaneous (sic) after a quick phone call.

If I wasn't with Santander I would be with Carter Allen. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Thumbs up for Cater Allen from to, it's kinda of a bank that doesn't exist, a sort of AS/400 bank, needs little supervision...

100% happy...

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would add my vote for Cater Allen.

Actually I had a letter from them today saying that they were moving to 'instant' transfers (I think that was the word they used), in the new year, I have thrown it though as it doesn't really concern me, I rarely leave transfers so late to worry about a few days.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    And when you call Barclays you need to put on a thick subcontinental accent just to make yourself understood.
    That definitely doesn't work.

I've overheard some people from the subcontinent on the phone doing some banking enquires.

Needless to say my conclusion from their increased frustration, asking what their mother tongue was and them slamming the phone down is that regardless of where you are from some call centres are delibrately tulip.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    I've never had any issues with Cater Allen bank. Their call centre staff are v.well spoken. I have to up my accent when I call them.
    And when you call Barclays you need to put on a thick subcontinental accent just to make yourself understood.

Leave a comment:

• Contractor UK
    replied
    Link for Cater Allen: Free bank account

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    How fast are transfers from Cater Allen to other banks? If I were to leave my personal a/c with Barclays and pay my salary from Cater, would I have to wait 3 - 5 days for the cash to transfer?

Barclays are OK for me generally; it's just their charges that I find most annoying... oh and the virtually non-existent interest on my cash balance.
    I'm with Cater Allen and the 3 working days does irk somewhat. Does anyone know if the 3 working days still applies if transferring to a Santander Personal Current account (since Cater Allen are part of Santander)?

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    How fast are transfers from Cater Allen to other banks? If I were to leave my personal a/c with Barclays and pay my salary from Cater, would I have to wait 3 - 5 days for the cash to transfer?
    Day 1 : Initiate external transfer of funds.
    Day 2 : Money disappears into the ether.
    Day 3 : Pops up in personal account.

I've never had any issues with Cater Allen bank. Their call centre staff are v.well spoken. I have to up my accent when I call them.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied

Barclays are OK for me generally; it's just their charges that I find most annoying... oh and the virtually non-existent interest on my cash balance.
    I remember someone telling me last year that Cater Allen hadn't implemented Faster Payments yet, maybe they have now. That's what you need to know if you need same-day transfers for free. Most other banks have.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Barclays are the most rubbish bank I know, and that's saying a lot. Move to Cater Allen.

Contractors sometimes start out with Barclays as it seems to easy to get into. Then they move up when they get wise.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Yes it's only £5.50 a month, or £66 a year, but these 'account fees' that Barclays charge me are bloody annoying.

Alternatively I'll just move to another business account provider. Yes it is a bit of hassle but I just find it so frustrating that Barclays are such c**ks.
    Barclays are the most rubbish bank I know, and that's saying a lot. Move to Cater Allen.

Contractors sometimes start out with Barclays as it seems to easy to get into. Then they move up when they get wise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X