• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in the Netherlands"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Probably best to get some professional advice on tax. Agencies don't care whether what they do is legal or not for you, they make sure it's legal for them.

Get some advice when you get to the Netherlands as to whether you should pay tax there.

Usually when you work somewhere, it is the exception not to be taxed locally, not the rule, even for 3months.

It maybe a secondment from a UK co. or it may not be, so that's why it would be wise to get advice.

Whether you tax yourself in the Netherlands or in the UK probably won't make a great deal of difference. In fact short secondments usually mean you aren't taxed very much and there's no social security. So I would do everything above aboard so that there are no nasty surprises, such as unpleasant visits from the local Customs and Excise.

An appointment with a reputable Dutch tax advisor would be well worth it, to clarify everything.

It is unfortunate that you can't trust agencies, but that's how it is.

If this isn't a secondment you may have to check the permissions on your visa, as you would have to registered.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 August 2011, 06:30.

Leave a comment:

• contractoralan
    replied
    And marrying for the sake of a 3 month contract is no good either

A friend of mine, an American, got a knowledge migrant visa(took about a month to process) and works there. This has to be sponsored by a Dutch company, me thinks. Ask your umbrella if they will.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    If you married you wouldn't have to wait for the twelve months the elapse before applying for citizenship, but you would have to wait for the citizenship application to be granted and apply for a British passport, none of which will happen overnight and no use in the start tomorrow contracting world.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    ILR doesn't help i'm afraid, unless you can work there as an American it's a non-starter.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Christ knows about the immigration thing but a quick search finds....

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...l-payroll.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...t-paid-uk.html

actually.. saying that there are 32 threads with the term Netherlands in them so can't link them all.

Go to Advanced Search at the top right
    Use the term 'Netherlands'
    Alter it to Search Titles only
    Bob's your uncle
    Fanny's your aunt.

Leave a comment:

• AngiePie
    started a topic Contracting in the Netherlands

Contracting in the Netherlands

Hello,

I'm interviewing for a 2-3 month IT contract in the Netherlands. There are 2 issues I'm wondering about: money / tax & immigration.

Re: Money: From what I can glean from the recruiter, I would be paid through the recruitment agency to my UK Umbrella Company. The end client is a UK company with an office in Amsterdam. The UK end client would pay the UK recruiter which would pay my UK Umbrella Company who then pays me into my UK bank account. It seems as if this position may actually be a secondment? Are there any issues with that? Has anyone done that?

Are there any tax implications if I reside in the UK as a base-- flying out on Mondays & home London on Friday? Is it better if I reside in Amsterdam the whole time?

Immigration - I'm American and have been living here in he UK for 8 years. I have permanent residency, but I have to wait until next April to apply for citizenship. I've been living with my Scottish BF for over 2 years. What are my options in terms of immigration to NL? I'm not looking to live there forever, only for the term of the contract. If my BF and I were to marry, would I have the right to work there?

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ana

Working...
X