• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pimp phoned me at client to ask stupid questions"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    True, but occasionally the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Maybe it stands out because we have someone here that constantly complains about everyone else and how wrong they always are and the other people in the office have their card well and truly marked for it.
    True, but occasionally the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Because in one day you have called your agents finance people awkward tossers, knobheads and whined about your agent asking you dull questions, most of which is all your fault or lack of understanding. Eating a bit of humble pie doesn't go amiss at times.

Maybe it stands out because we have someone here that constantly complains about everyone else and how wrong they always are and the other people in the office have their card well and truly marked for it.
    Yes, but I dont walk around the office telling everyone about my thoughts of the agent, do I?

Dont judge everyone on what they write on here. No offence meant but if you were judged on everything that YOU wrote on here then I'd describe you as a miserable git who criticises everyone else and thinks hes perfect.

I know you aint that bad though but you can see what I mean !!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So why would the client/permies think Im a complaining contractor?
    Because in one day you have called your agents finance people awkward tossers, knobheads and whined about your agent asking you dull questions, most of which is all your fault or lack of understanding. Eating a bit of humble pie doesn't go amiss at times.

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Pertinent maybe - but not something to discuss in an open office. So why would the client/permies think Im a complaining contractor? Thats just my issue - I dont want to discuss these things when people are listening. I'd rather keep this separate which IMHO is acting like a business. Why should permies listen to my conversation about my business dealings?

Then just tell the agent that you are not able to discuss that at the moment. Simples.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    You really need a change in attitude and think a little more about how a business works before calling other peoples actions. As someone has suggested stand up and walk away from your desk. It is hardly rocket science.

You are not funny at all. These are very pertinent questions to the agent and possibly for you. They are not dull questions. Anyone worth their salt will find this out from the client to understand what the chances of an extension are and what position you are in. If you are working on a project with a 10k budget you are unlikely to get an extension, if it is 23 million you could be their for awhile. To be fair it is more in the pimps favour as he is digging for more business but it is very useful for you to know as well.

You really need to get a better business head on or you the client/permies are going to think you are just a complaining contractor.
    NLUK,

You're making assumption here that he called my mobile - he didnt.

Pertinent maybe - but not something to discuss in an open office. So why would the client/permies think Im a complaining contractor? Thats just my issue - I dont want to discuss these things when people are listening. I'd rather keep this separate which IMHO is acting like a business. Why should permies listen to my conversation about my business dealings?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    If it's the agents you're currently working through, I'd just stand up and walk away. What is waaay more annoying is the fishing agents who ask how it's all going and what you've got in the pipeline etc.

I usually cotton on within a couple of minutes and say "Have you actually got a specific contract in mind for me....". It's almost always a "No, we're updating our records as we are expecting lots of work in the very near future....."

That said, it always pays to be polite. It's a very small an incestuous business.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Fair enough - give me a quick call if you like to see if things are OK.

But then dont start asking stupid questions and expecting me to answer when all the permies are sitting feet away ear-wigging.

Like, how long do you think the contract will last? Do you think the client will renew you? Any idea how the budget is looking for this project at the client?

Not being funny but some of these things are dull questions anyway, but I dont really want to comment on some of this when people are listening. Its not cool.
    You really need a change in attitude and think a little more about how a business works before calling other peoples actions. As someone has suggested stand up and walk away from your desk. It is hardly rocket science.

You are not funny at all. These are very pertinent questions to the agent and possibly for you. They are not dull questions. Anyone worth their salt will find this out from the client to understand what the chances of an extension are and what position you are in. If you are working on a project with a 10k budget you are unlikely to get an extension, if it is 23 million you could be their for awhile. To be fair it is more in the pimps favour as he is digging for more business but it is very useful for you to know as well.

You really need to get a better business head on or you the client/permies are going to think you are just a complaining contractor.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Every call I get during working hours tends to start with "Is it okay to talk right now or shall I call back later?" Maybe German agencies realise that you're sitting in a workplace and can't talk

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied

But then dont start asking stupid questions and expecting me to answer when all the permies are sitting feet away ear-wigging.

Like, how long do you think the contract will last? Do you think the client will renew you? Any idea how the budget is looking for this project at the client?

Not being funny but some of these things are dull questions anyway, but I dont really want to comment on some of this when people are listening. Its not cool.
    Go outside? Call him back around lunchtime? Call him when you're on the way home?

Leave a comment:

• Pimp phoned me at client to ask stupid questions

Working...
X