• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you do (Part dunno I lost count)"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    They came back to me and asked if I would consider a permmie role while they skilled me up in the technology, I politely passed

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Been stung with the 'renegotiate' line before, 6 months later agent has gone/cant remember/client is playing hardball blah blah. I would ask the agent what he's getting and I would be looking to get within 10% of the original rate.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    See if the agent will do the first contract for 3 months - less time to wait for renewal/renegotiation.
    In similar situations, I would just put a trial period. So, the contract rate remains the same, but there is an initial period of may be 2 months or whatever client agrees to, where the client pays say 10% less, and either party can terminate the contract without any notice. This way, you won't have to wait for 6 months, and also the rate will be almost guaranteed to hit the original rate on offer.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Good way to determine if its the Agent scamming you too. If he is he won't entertain this.

If it is genuinely the client, the Agent will want this in the contract as much as you, as when your rate goes up, so does his...
    Good point, I said yes to the agent anyway, just wanted others views on it

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Make sure the rate neg is in the contract, and dated. for example - "rate review will take place on 12/01/2012, when rate will be increased to X assuming the satisfaction of criteria <tech, tech tech> has been met.

that way, there's no doubt, no argument, and everything is clear.
    Good way to determine if its the Agent scamming you too. If he is he won't entertain this.

If it is genuinely the client, the Agent will want this in the contract as much as you, as when your rate goes up, so does his...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    See if the agent will do the first contract for 3 months - less time to wait for renewal/renegotiation.

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If I was on the bench it would be a no brainer, but something doesn't sit right.
    Make sure the rate neg is in the contract, and dated. for example - "rate review will take place on 12/01/2012, when rate will be increased to X assuming the satisfaction of criteria <tech, tech tech> has been met.

that way, there's no doubt, no argument, and everything is clear.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I agree with the other two posters. Does it suit you? If so then happy days...

Although I can see why you are nervous. I don't believe a word of what the agent said. I haven't seen a situation yet where a client will take a lesser skilled person on for less money to do what is effectively the same job. I would like to be proved wrong but it would bother me knowing the agent has had one over even if I liked what was offered.

If you can get over that and happy with what you have got then fill yer boots.
    If I was on the bench it would be a no brainer, but something doesn't sit right.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I agree with the other two posters. Does it suit you? If so then happy days...

Although I can see why you are nervous. I don't believe a word of what the agent said. I haven't seen a situation yet where a client will take a lesser skilled person on for less money to do what is effectively the same job. I would like to be proved wrong but it would bother me knowing the agent has had one over even if I liked what was offered.

If you can get over that and happy with what you have got then fill yer boots.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    My current contract runs out in a few weeks, so started to put the feelers out, interviewed for a job in London that I knew might be a bit of a stretch, feedback from the agent saying that they liked me but I didn't have all the skills from the start to warrant paying you the high rate (quite a bump from what I am on at the moment). As no one they sent was offered the position they suggest that I they could go back with a lower rate (still higher than what I am on now) and then ask for a renegotiation in 6 months when I am up to speed on the last bit of tech that I lacked.

Now given the market a lower rate wouldn't bother me as it would give me some banking experience on my CV, and in 6 months time I can re-negotiate or walk away with 6 months rate in my back pocket, and I would say its probably a given that the agent will be saying the same thing to the other candidates.

Whats the general opinion, is the agent trying to pull a fast one to up their cut? Or is this a genuine avenue to look at.
    Who cares what the agent gets (yes i know, know one wants the P**s taken out of them) but as long as your getting what you want, more money/experience give it a go and in 6 months when your up to speed stick em for a big rate rise

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    If you would be happy to do the work at the lower rate, JFDI

It gets you in
    You're learning a new tech
    You can re-neg in 6 months

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    started a topic What would you do (Part dunno I lost count)

What would you do (Part dunno I lost count)

My current contract runs out in a few weeks, so started to put the feelers out, interviewed for a job in London that I knew might be a bit of a stretch, feedback from the agent saying that they liked me but I didn't have all the skills from the start to warrant paying you the high rate (quite a bump from what I am on at the moment). As no one they sent was offered the position they suggest that I they could go back with a lower rate (still higher than what I am on now) and then ask for a renegotiation in 6 months when I am up to speed on the last bit of tech that I lacked.

Now given the market a lower rate wouldn't bother me as it would give me some banking experience on my CV, and in 6 months time I can re-negotiate or walk away with 6 months rate in my back pocket, and I would say its probably a given that the agent will be saying the same thing to the other candidates.

Whats the general opinion, is the agent trying to pull a fast one to up their cut? Or is this a genuine avenue to look at.

Working...
X